[Withdrawn]Rob Ust's trialmin application.

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by Rob Ust, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

Basic Information:

Byond Account:
    Robert Ust
    Character Name(s):
    Rob Ust
    AI Name(s):
    Robust.exe
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why:
    Yes. I've used this account for many years so I should just say no but I'm being honest. This is the only account I've used for the past few years, I don't remember the other keys. My account was created nov 6 '11
    Timezone:
    CST
    Active hours:
    May be active at any time but mostly active between 10pm and 8am CST.

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules?
    Very.
    How long have you played SS13?
    Many years, Five plus.
    How long have you played LS13?
    A long time, Not exactly sure. I do remember a time when Rebel was a newmin.
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics? A lot but there's always more to learn.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13?
    Yes, I was an administrator for awhile.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else?
    Playstation three battlefield three I ran a very successful server for awhile and am currently a admin of a battlefield four server.
    If yes, what did you have to do do?
    Same thing admins do on LS13, Talk to or kick/ban players.
    Have you ever worked in a team before?
    Yes.
    What are the qualities of a successful team?
    A sucessful team is dependent on many factors. Some of the most important factors being Everyone must be on the same page as far as policies, Rules, And regulations. Effective communication, And commitment all factor into weather a team is successful or not.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?:
    I like how complex the game is, Almost anything is possible.
    Why do you play LS13?:
    I've been a part of the community for a long time, Because it's such a great community.
    What do administrators do?:
    Help new and old players with questions, Protect the players from griefers or themselves if need be.
    Why do you want to be an administrator?:
    I play at a time when many players aren't online. School will be letting out soon and I expect more players to be online. I figure you're going to need some help. Today I noticed people asking questions in OOC instad of hitting F1, Unpon further inspection I noticed no administrators were online. This worries me because someone might ask a question such as "How do I be a wizard" in OOC. This could ruin everyone's round. My intent here is to be a trial administrator so I can answer questions and call for backup if things go down. I have no intent to ban or otherwise punish players, Yet.
    What qualities make a good administrator?:
    Being on the same page as your other administrators on things like rules, Punishments, Length of punishment. I understand many factors go into each decision and nothing is cookie cutter but you shouldn't have one admin ban for a month and the same thing happens and another admin bans for a week. Ability to tell when someone is wasting your time and trolling you. Knowledge of the client and game. Ability to put puzzles together because nobody is going to tell you the real story, You gotta get sherlock holmes on their ass. Effective communication is very important. A second language such as Spanish would be useful, Certainly not harmful. The ability to reason is vital.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?:
    Automatic banning, Not asking questions, Not investigating an example being "X hit me 20 times" and the admin would take his word and not VV. Abuse of admin knowledge or powers (knowing X is traitor or making yourself invisible for an advantage)
    What are your strengths?
    Experience, A deep care for LLA.
    What are your weaknesses?
    Spelling, Asking peers for their opinion and following their advice.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses?
    Spellcheck or practice typing, Ask more peers and put more weight behind their suggestion while considering a course of action.
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:
    Very well. I like to listen to music or take a round off every once and awhile. I know from experience that being an administrator can be very stressful but it's also rewarding, Knowing that you're helping people and protecting the servers population.

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?
    Message them both and find out what happened. Check attack logs and chat logs to confirm each story, If there are discrepancies. Choose an appropriate course of action such as asking the player to read the rules, Wiki, or just talking to the player. I would also consider asking another admins opinion. If a ban is necessary ask an admin to administer it.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this?
    Take it to the headmin, Admin on admin beef isn't cool. I could also say PM the admin and see what the problem is but be careful not to escalate the situation. Be sincere and understand the admins point of view.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server? To protect and serve. It means being a role model, A hero. Taking care of your playerbase.
    Having fun events to break up the monotony. Being in OOC interacting with players. I'm not saying you shouldn't be serious when need be.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why?
    Principles. Rules are based on principlas. If you only had rules you would end up with "IC in OOC banned 12hours" But with principals you end up with "Hey don't IC in OOC" but it if continues they get a talking to and if they keep it up, A ban. Rules can easily be modified or changed while principals are more set in stone. I hope this makes since.

Additional Comments:
    The purpose of the application is to be online as an administrative presence during hours when there aren't m(any) administrators online. The reason I want to do this is the ability to answer questions with the privacy of an admin PM, For example If a player were to ask "how do i be a wizard" People would know it was a wizard round and everyone's round would be ruined. If a player wanted to know how to set up the singularity I could link him to the guide and then ghost and follow him, Making sure he did it right, Avoiding ruining the round due to a out of control singularity. I don't care about ruining my round as much as the playerbase's. I'll take my to round and show people how to do things, I don't mind. Note: I was removed from the administrators list for being inactive. I posted in the admin forums and told our headmin at the time, Adam that I might go radio silent. This was completely unavailable and entirely out of my hands.
    Kainen likes this.
  2. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

Did wonder if you'd be putting an application in anytime soon. You've had a couple of brief visits back here since you left, what are the chances of you having to leave again?
    Flavo likes this.
  3. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

I might, I might not, I don't know. I plan on staying but things DO happen.
  4. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

From what i remember from over a year ago rob was a good admin, even if he were only staying for a few days i think he could do some good in even that small amount of time and it's not like it is hard to make someone an admin, if he only got demoted for being inactive i don't see why he shouldn't "be allowed back into the fold" so +1 support.
    Rob Ust likes this.
  5. You're a nice guy OOC. I've also heard from admins that you were, in fact, a good admin.

However in my experience your IC play in positions of any authority was consistently VERY poor, and you demonstrated abuse of power, generally jerkiness, and lack of common sense to the point where the thought of you trying to handle cases in an administrative capacity is troubling to me.

It's nice to see you back, and it's nice to see you wanting to contribute. But I'm just skeptical, not that my opinion matters.
  6. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

Flat, As a member of the community your opinion does matter. IC has nothing do with OOC or admin work. A perfect example is Dave Flavo. Flavo is complete god awful shit character, But the owner is a great person.
  7. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I support Rob's application.
    Rob's fun to play with, generally cool on OOC, and IRL he just swapped to this new conditioner that makes his hair smell amazing when he sleeps. 10/10. Would support again.
    PistolPete, kadingir and Rob Ust like this.
  8. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

lol thank you
    kadingir likes this.
  9. I appreciate your response but I disagree. I'm not so much concerned about an admin being saintly in character at all times (although that is always nice). I am concerned with admins being able to demonstrate that they at least have the capability to be role models and know how to teach other players. Essentially I'm talking about aptitude, not performance, if that makes sense.

Since you brought up Flavored Cactus; he has characters other than Dave Flavo and has demonstrated that he is capable of being a reasonable and competent security player and head, even if in the past he sometimes chose not to exercise those talents. Respectfully, I've never seen this capability demonstrated from you, and in fact I only saw your performance *after* you had already received one-on-one "training" from Flavored Cactus and you were still frankly brutal. It makes me wonder...if you aren't able to play security decently yourself, how are you going to be able to moderate other people? I don't think this question is irrelevant.

Like I said, you are a nice and friendly guy in OOC. For that reason, part of me wanted to temper this criticism. But there is already at least one member of the current admin team that I consider to be abysmal at a certain job class and it really irritates me when that particular person tries to tell me how to play said class. I want admins that I can learn from and whose judgement on such things I can fully trust. Sorry.
  10. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see you stay active for a while before you become an admin. This was the same issue with TheJuicyFruit, who did stay active and become an admin, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, you were a good admin and other people seem to support you. I'm not going to give any stance right now.
  11. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

You have my support. I'm sure one of the highermins will go into the speech about disappearing etc. etc. but from what I've heard of the circumstances it was not really in your control. Good to see you again buddy.

+Support
    Rob Ust likes this.
  12. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I'd like to clarify that i specifically remember you giving a warning that you would be vanishing before you did vanish. The vanishing was beyond your control, I'm just curious if all that is settled and you are in a stable condition with it where you would be able to remain active for the foreseeable future.
    Rob Ust likes this.
  13. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

I found the thread, it's in admin club, top of page 3 for me. Started on June 9th. I'd link to it but I'm on my phone
    Rob Ust likes this.
  14. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

I see that your emphasis of this application is that you want to be there to just handle questions, and that you have little to no interest in handing down bans or taking cases. For this, is what you are seeking "admin observer" or are you interested in an admin role to which you know that if you do, there would be circumstances and situations that would call for you to use that power to handle cases and if need be, issue bans?
    Rob Ust likes this.
  15. Rekiin

Rekiin Active Member

+1 what others said is what I said.
  16. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

I don't see this being a problem, I plan on staying. There are/were many inactive admin who would jump on once a month or every few months, They're still/were admins. I don't know if they still are, I assume they're still on the admin list.

Nice to see you again, Old friend. Thank you for your support.

You're right. My main purpose is just to answer questions, Especially round ruining questions in addition to helping new players properly. There is also the benefit of having an admin presence on the server, If there was a case I could handle it. My end goal is to be a secondary-min so I can handle cases and issue bans if need be, Most people you can talk to and not have to issue a ban. I feel like I would need ban powers because there are some people who you just can't talk to. I understand that being an administrator you will have to handle cases and issue punishments when all else fails.
    kadingir, Eighty8 and General_Battier like this.
  17. cheif264

cheif264 LS13 Admin

Honestly I think Rob is a good guy he knows his stuff well and can keep himself together from what I've seen I would love to see him trialed.

+1 support for sure
    Rob Ust likes this.
  18. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

Great, seeing as the last time you were an admin I had no issues with you as a player or OOC. I believe you do understand the processes well enough and I would definitely be comfortable with you being trial'd

+1
  19. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

Thank you for your support.

Thank you for your support.
  20. Rekiin

Rekiin Active Member

Honk.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.