[Withdrawn] Consgrove's Administrative Application

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by Consgrove, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Consgrove

Consgrove New Member

Basic Information:

Byond Account: Consgrove

Character Name(s): Ronswald Shepard

AI Name(s): D.E.E.B. 2.0

Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why: Nope!

Timezone: Central Standard

Active hours: 5 p.m. - 12 a.m. (possibly up to 3 a.m. on weekends that I'm not busy/have work)

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules?: I am, yes.

How long have you played SS13?: Several months now.

How long have you played LS13?: Off and on, I've been hopping from server to server and found an interest in this one.

How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics?: Quite a bit, actually! I've read over most of the beefed up SS13 wikis (i.e Baystation and /tg/station).

Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13?: I do not, as of yet.

Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else?: When I was younger, I was staff on a now killed Minecraft server and eventually ran/managed my own Minecraft server. As I got older I switched over to Garry's Mod and started playing Half-Life 2 roleplay. I eventually grew to master the game and worked my way up from Operator to Server/Community Manager until the server eventually died out. Another server I was/am very loyal to (currently undergoing maintenance) I was promoted to Operator and have worked my way up to Super-Administrator.

If yes, what did you have to do do?: Please read above.

Have you ever worked in a team before?: Yes, I have worked in teams before and can generally easily manage with a team.

What are the qualities of a successful team?: A successful team could be defined in several different ways; hard working, trusting one another, working to meet the required goal (whether it be long-term or short). Suffice to say, a team is a group of people that know their own limitations and respect one another.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?: Because it's a game like no other that I have come to love.

Why do you play LS13?: Because the server is a lot more lenient than that of other servers. The admins are (when they are on) really cool and the community itself is a lot more friendly and less closely-knit than what I've seen before.

What do administrators do?: Help the community with an sort of questions, concerns, or general guidance. Along with taking care of any sort of grief-related problems and those who only wish to fight.

Why do you want to be an administrator?: I've seen the server without admins a few times and realized that admin applications have opened and took it upon myself to create an application.

What qualities make a good administrator?: Reasonably understanding, knows the rules and when to enforce them, knows the time to act goofy, and to act serious. A good administrator is someone who doesn't abuse their powers and may go out of their own way to help another user.

What qualities make a bad administrator?: Someone who has only applied/gotten to position to abuse its power, constantly arguing/flaming in both IC and OOC.

What are your strengths?: I'm almost never hot-headed and would not consider myself a loose cannon. As being an admin in pasts experiences I've learned to keep my cool and remain unbiased and tend to act serious when the time is right. I never try to hold any sort of grudge and when I do it's generally for something extremely stupid (i.e blowing up the whole station) but I drop them as quickly as I get them. And I tend to be very, VERY active on the forums!

What are your weaknesses?: I don't know everything there is to know about SS13 (yet) and could only link people to wiki pages for specific jobs (i.e chemist, xenobiology, warden, etc.).

How do you overcome these weaknesses?: Well, I hope to learn more about the positions I don't know about and maybe stop just linking people to the wiki.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Taking day-breaks from whatever caused the stress/anger. Insults have never quite gotten to me and I just tend to ignore them.

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?

Well I'd have to start by freezing Player B and confront him of his actions. I'd refer him to the rules and ask if he has read them yet. Of course he probably says he did, but actually didn't, and would either give him a very stern warning depending on Player A's reaction to the scene (i.e "I'm cool with him, don't ban him." Or, "ban!!!"), and Player B's reaction. Otherwise, I'd give him a ban (maybe a day or two, or whatever the ban-length for Rule 3 is) and tell him to make a ban appeal on the forums. After doing so I'd heal Player A and tell him to ignore the situation.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this?

It depends on what we are talking about, really. I might, or he might, eventually change my/his mind. Honestly, this is one of the more ridiculous things that can happen to you. I'd probably contact a higher-up about it and ask what should happen. Well, he might just be the higher-up! So I'd bring up with another admin (bringing it to the forums can only cause a bigger problem, never do that unless you plan on risking your entire reputation or the respect of your fellow administrators) and ask them for some advice. Eventually something would happen, it's hard to explain, but I may just drop it as it is.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server?

To be an administrator means that a lot more weight has been put on your shoulders. You now have a responsibility for the server and are expected to get on more often that you regularly do. You have to be more mature and fix any sort of problem that arises on the server. Friendships become more at stake as there's a chance you may ban your close-friend for breaking the rules!

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why?

This is certainly a harder question to answer. You could gain or lose respect to sticking to either one, so I'd honestly say it depends on circumstances! I'd probably stick closer with the rules as I'd rather not risk getting in trouble with the other staff members. Principles are very important, but rules are even more important.

Additional Comments:

In case you are curious, I have never been banned nor have been that active. I tend to be more quiet until I can build up more of a reputation.

And considering this is my first time on the forums, I haven't been able to post as much as I regularly do.
  2. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

I would like to see more of you around. This certainly is a well-written admin application, but I have no idea who you are.

You stated that this other server that you're very loyal to is under maintenance. First, I assume this is a HL2/GMOD server. Secondly, in the order of priorities - if LLA and your other server had no admins on and both needed one, with you being the one admin available for both, which would you choose?
    Tomtoot, NoFaceMan and Cody522 like this.
  3. You just introduced yourself, Id like to see you more on the forums and in ooc before I support or dont support this app. Howver it is pretty well written.
    General_Battier likes this.
  4. Consgrove

Consgrove New Member

I'm not even sure if the server will come back up. But I can easily manage both if need be. Plus, the HL2 server generally almost always has someone on that can manage it. Honestly, I'd probably go with LLA if need be.
  5. AncientV25

AncientV25 LS13 Admin

Who are you?
    Chase and NoFaceMan like this.
  6. Consgrove

Consgrove New Member

Exactly. :)
  7. AncientV25

AncientV25 LS13 Admin

Then why are you making an admin application?
    Absolutely noone knows you.
    An application is one thing, but we need to know the person -behind- that application. I could make the best thread ever written on any forum ever and still be a huge cockmongling asshole.
    Devon, Chase, NoFaceMan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Consgrove

Consgrove New Member

Well, people could get to know me. I wouldn't consider myself that huge of an asshole, I mean everyone can be a dick sometimes, right? I know I should've waited a bit longer to apply. Personally, I just tend to be more quiet when I join a community, rather than show myself off loud and proud.

I'd probably just hold off on this application for a bit until I'm more known throughout the community.
  9. Thats probably a good idea, you're alot more likely to get support if people know you.
    IMVader likes this.
  10. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Could
    Maybe
    Doesn't land you jobs. We need to trust you first.

Like Pete said it looks like you won't stick here long if you only played here off and on and have other servers to deal with. That's why you have to prove you're here to stay first.
    Applying for a position of power as soon as you become a member here doesn't show how trustworthy you can be. It looks powerhungry and immature.
    IMVader, AncientV25 and QuantumWings like this.
  11. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

No You are very new to server and forums no without looking at application.

NO!!! SAD CHRISTMAS FOR YOU!!!
    Chase, IMVader and QuantumWings like this.
  12. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

Sorry no. You're new to the sever i can't and will not support this app.

Stick around and let people get to know you then re apply and i will reconsider my no.
    Chase and QuantumWings like this.
  13. Tomtoot

Tomtoot Active Member

Uh, I like the application, but, as everyone has said, I have litterally NEVER seen you on the server
  14. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

I think we all agree that we're not familiar enough with you to support you.

Keep playing, as I've seen you recently.
  15. Chase

Chase Active Member

If I were you, I'd wait a month or so then try again.
  16. I'll just say that while I also have no idea who you are and therefore cannot support an admin app at this time, you do seem level-headed, intelligent and literate in your application, and I hope you aren't too discouraged by the responses here. Please make yourself known, put in regular appearances on the server and forums for a while, get involved in community discussions and OOC. Let us see what your personality and perspectives are.

Putting in this app wasn't a waste, we now know that you exist and will keep an eye out. If you present yourself as well IC, OOC and on the forums as you do in your app, you might well have a shot in the future.
    Hergest, Chase, AncientV25 and 3 others like this.
  17. Taicho

Taicho Director of LS13 Staff Member

I am going to leave this open a while longer. You seem like a good guy. The application is a bit... lacking, maybe, but otherwise your responses are pleasant and agreeable. I think it'd be wrong to close a perfectly decent application like this, so I'm going to leave it open for comments, and to give you time to show yourself on the forums and server a little more so we can get a better idea of your attitude and play-style before accepting or declining. Nobody really seems too familiar with you just yet, unfortunately.
  18. Tomtoot

Tomtoot Active Member

Been wanting to observe you ingame, and on the server in general, still not seen anything from you yet, probably just a timezone issue, but you may need to increase activity a bit.
    daddysds1 likes this.
  19. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

I really like the application and it seems like you put a fair amount of effort into it, but I'm not really familiar with you. If I see more of you on the server and you maintain being a cool guy as you've presented yourself here I could really get behind supporting this application.
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  20. Consgrove

Consgrove New Member

Uh... close and lock this I guess. Someone sent me a link to it and I completely forgot about it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.