WellingtonTheThird*'s Headmin Application

Discussion in 'Head Admin Applications (CLOSED!)' started by WellingtonTheThird, Aug 13, 2014.

1. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

Byond Key:
    WellingtonThe3rd*
    Preferred Username:
    WellingtonThe3rd*
    Time with the LLA community:
    About two and a half years.
    Time as Administrator:
    One and a half years.
    Current administrator rank:
    Senior Administrator.

Have you ever been banned, if so why?
    No.

Have you ever been terminated from the admin team, if so why?
    No.

Tell me about yourself?
    I'm a college student from Arkansas with a passion for video gaming. I enjoy reading high fantasy novels, singing along with my favorite music, and long walks on the beach.

What are your strengths?
    Knowledge is my strength. I understand the concerns of our administrators, our playerbase, and I know the gaming environment LLA strives to create.

What are your weaknesses?
    I am a human being. I am imperfect and I make mistakes. Sometimes they're small and sometimes they're big, but regardless of size they happen. I feel as though ultimately one of my biggest weaknesses is that I'm slow to act and would prefer to take time and consider a situation or predicament.

Why do you want this position?
    I've been asked by many to apply. I feel as though I am respected by my fellow administrators and I would not lead them astray. I've got the makings of a leader, but I won't get the rest of the experience I need by watching and helping others.

What can you bring to this position that other candidates cannot?
    I can't say for certain that the other applicants won't offer these things as well, but I promise integrity, dedication, and presence. I want what is best for this community I love so I cannot be corrupted. I'm here for the long haul unless life throws one of those wacky curveballs, and I will actually be around to handle the duties if I am chosen.

What is the LLA to you?
    Once a long time ago there was a forum RPG called XRPG. Blaze, Chris, Cloneguy, and Aries. A few others played with us, but that project was our baby. It was the closest thing I'd ever experienced to a community akin to this. We laughed and cried together. When Blaze left he left me in charge. I didn't know how to run things at all. I was around thirteen at the time and I'd never lead anything before other than my own two feet. I tried to keep things together with everything I had, but it wasn't meant to be. Often times the community here at LLA reminds me XRPG and the family I lost there. LLA is that family to me now. It is what I had hoped XRPG would've grown into.

(XRPG was originally a game played by a few friends. It was actually XRPG2. During XRPG2's rules being written there was ZRPG a much looser/goofier version.)

Have you ever been in a position of leadership in the past outside of SS13 administration, explain?
    A few times before. I've been a lead at work (manager without the wages.) I led a project called XRPG.

Give me an example of a time you felt you went above and beyond the call of duty as an administrator?
    There was an incident in which an administrator was falsifying logs and rallying people to his side in an attempt to disturb the balance. I mediated between the administration and the offending admin and brought forward the evidence of his lies.

Have you ever been on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?
    I've never been in this situation, but I would investigate the person in question. I'd try to see if they were having any personal life issues going on and talk it over with them. If nothing was going on I'd tell them they need to kick it up a notch. If they're having trouble I'd recommend they take a break until things are sorted out.

Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it?
    This has happened often. These times were a bit more often as Adam's deputy. Honesty and straightforwardness is the best approach. I can't quite give an example for the sake of anonymity, but I've been sent to speak to administrators when there is an issue and it isn't easy, but it has to be done.

What is your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it?
    My greatest failure on LLA is my treatment of the player Ihaveno. I learned to never treat a player poorly no matter how negatively I think of them at the time. In real life my biggest failure is I didn't get an owl from hogwarts when I turned 12. I learned I wasn't a wizard.

What irritates you about other people, and how do you deal with it?
    People have a lot of ways to annoy you if you let them, but over time you just develop a censor that filters out the bits you don't need to hear whilst keeping the bits you do.

If I were your supervisor and I asked you to do something that you disagreed with, what would you do?
    I would try my best to understand first why you would issue such an order. If it was truly distasteful and morally repugnant I'd likely decline the order and see what resulted.

Have you ever had an assignment that was too difficult for you, how did you resolve the issue?
    Yes, plenty of times. I asked for help.

How would you go about establishing your credibility quickly with the team?
    I feel as though my credibility is somewhat already established, but I suppose it would be through being a helpful teammate on and off the server who offers advice when needed.

How long will it take for you to make a significant contribution to the team?
    The new rules aren't perfect by any means, but I did lead a reformation when I was a Secondary Admin if I recall correctly. I can't promise you a deadline or date, but I can assure than I have the ability to get the ball rolling and see it through if a significant contribution is needed.

What do you see yourself doing within the first 30 days of this job?
    Reading a lot of PMS, chats, and the forums. Asking Adam the sums of his old duties. Asking DZ the sum of my duties. Then performing said said duties.

If selected for this position, can you describe your strategy for the first 90 days?
    Learn. Read. Absorb. I'll need to find out as much of what is expected of me as possible. I'll have to read player PMS, admin PMs, admin chats, senior chats, JCOS chat. I'd have to get a clear grasp of what our goals are before marching forward.

If you were an animal, which one would you want to be and why?
    Anything that can fly because it represents freedom.

If you could choose one superhero power, what would it be and why?
    Flying. Seriously.

Where is waldo?
    Remember that game for Sega? Well I do and I have it in my living room.
  2. RebelAmerica

RebelAmerica ForumGuard Staff Member

I fully support this application.
  3. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

4. LemonSoup

LemonSoup LS13 Admin

Do you have any issues with LLA right now which you think you could help to rectify as a Head Admin? Would you consider yourself an active or reactive leader, and in what ways?
  5. WellingtonTheThird

There are no majorly apparent issues at hand. I'm proactive with a few touches of reactive. I believe heavily in relying on my team as the valuable resource they are for their insight and wisdom. I believe we should react to change. Punishment should be based off of principles and not rules. We should actively search for our flaws and attempt to fix them.
  6. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

I support this.
  7. Emanz

Emanz Well-Known Member

Fully support this
  8. WellingtonTheThird

Whilst some have mentioned in the other thread that stagnation/admin activity is a major issue I don't agree. A major issue takes time and a lot of work to rectify. The slowly dwindling administrative presence can be easily fixed with a few words and we have Adam's trialmins on their way as well.
  9. Pumpkin Man

Pumpkin Man LS13 Admin Staff Member

>This thread.

AND MY HATCHET!

+1 Support.
  10. Black Jack

Black Jack LS13 Admin

I can firmly give my support to you, you have appeared to me as someone who understands what LLA is about. You are open when someone asks you a question and I feel that if you gain this position that you will try your best to make sure the LLA administration is run to the expertise of what DZ would want.

+Support.
  11. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Ohmergerd so many good admins applying. Who do I choose?
  12. PoliticalPikachu

PoliticalPikachu Well-Known Member

I don't believe activity is a problem but there is a kind of stagnation within LLA and that needs to be addressed. You can't expect the situation to be resolved with a couple of words and a wave of your hands. You're a good admin, Welly, but you're not that good. Heh.

I think you're a great admin, Welly (and an even better CK2 player *nudge nudge*) We've had some good fun. Overall, I'm looking favourably on you.
  13. WellingtonTheThird

I was thinking flogging, actually. Self-flagellation will purge the demons of inactivity.

In seriousness, though. In regards to activity.. I know it won't be exceedingly simple, but I don't see it as something major that threatens the server as it is. It is still important to see to it that it is fixed. Be it through kind words, warnings, inactivity purges, or new administrators it can be maintained as it was in the past with the same methods as long as these methods are applied with consistency.

Could you elaborate more upon this "Stagnation" if it isn't an issue with administrative activity?
    Black Jack likes this.
  14. PoliticalPikachu

PoliticalPikachu Well-Known Member

I 100% agree with this and I think that is what most of the headmin applicants are aiming for.
  15. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

I'd feel very comfortable with Wellington at the helm. Funny you posted that clip Pumpkin, I see Wellington as Gandalf.

+ Support
  16. Taicho

Taicho Director of LS13 Staff Member

Welly is a babe, and having worked closely with him as deputy headmin for the good part of a month or two (???) now, I will offer my full support to him for I honestly believe I could bring a wealth of contributions to the server. Our supporting each other also isn't a ruse to take over the server.
    It really isn't.

Promise.
  17. CannibalCrow

CannibalCrow LS13 Admin Staff Member

One of the two people I wholeheartedly believe can handle this role, and handle it well. Wellington has shown that he is fair minded, level-headed, and well rounded in most categories required for an administrator, as well as the head of staff. I honestly can't think of a downside. Full Support from me.
  18. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Wellington, I haven't been as active lately in the last month, but I personally haven't seen you on as often as I would like to have in the past. How much will we see you on, should you become Headmin?
    TheJuicyFruit likes this.
  19. WellingtonTheThird

Well, my activity has been slowly increasing since I became a deputy. This is a combination of more free time and a rekindling of my administrative passion from my new position. Now that I'm not working a full time job and instead getting back into school I will have more time than before to put into the server. Regardless of if I become Headmin or not will not really have as much of a bearing on my activity as life has had previously.
  20. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Excellent. I am extremely excited to start playing again with you.

Hearing this solidifies my support for you.

+1