Wellington's Application for Apprenticeship {92}

Discussion in 'Project Lead Apprenticeship (CLOSED)' started by WellingtonTheThird, Feb 3, 2015.

1. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

DEMOGRAPHICS
    ByondKey: WellingtonThe3rd

Years with LLA: 2 as an Admin. I played off and on before I returned and became an admin so about 3 - 4 years in total. I used to server hop so it is hard to give a specific number to that.

Country of Origin: America.

Time Zone: Central.

Admin Rank (if applicable): Senior (Deputy)

ABOUT YOU
    What skills and knowledge sets you apart from other applicants and makes you valuable?

I'm proficient as an administrator, but I have skills in group management. I currently lead the Metabox Development team and I'm learning more about organizing their efforts every day. I've used root access many times to change admin.txt and even restart the server. I can investigate logs deeper with use of Filezilla.

I've taken the time to get to know many of our server's veterans as well as administrators so I know them on more than a professional level. I'm privy to the inner workings of the upper administration and how to handle difficult situations from my time as Connor's deputy.

Tell me a story about the time you disappointed yourself most, and what you learned from it.

I'll go beyond my greatest failure in LLA and I'll pull my greatest failure from life instead. I was a smart lad, but I wasn't persistent with my studies because I felt bored so often. I'd get by on the skin of my teeth and just barely pull through and I suppose I planned to get my high school degree this way. When I realized I'd failed high school and I wouldn't be able to salvage it I was rather crushed. I didn't want to continue my life outside of an educational setting. I had the ability to do something, but I was too lazy to see things through just because it wasn't exciting and I wasn't challenged. The degree of effort I've had to put into being accepted by a college was astronomical. I had to get my GED, take extra tests, and actually earn credit from what I threw away. That experience has taught me persistence in the face of adversity and boredom. I've learned the value of sticking through something even though no reward seems to be within grasp.

What's your favorite color? Purple. Not just any purple, but the lighter shade used for Darkness in Kingdom Hearts.

What's your favorite number? 21. It is three times as lucky as 7.

What's your favorite video game? Oh god. Not this question. I'm thinking hard on this right now and it is a tie between CKII and Cataclysm (This includes the original Cata and DDA) because old Cataclysm is about the horror and impending doom whereas new Cataclysm is about feeling like a badass.

What's your favorite film? Another difficult question. I'm gonna say Secondhand Lions. Second place is The Fall. I just really like the old man's tale to the boy.

What number am I thinking of right now? 9

Look to your left, what do you see there? My bed and the wall beside it which is covered in a couple of psychedelic posters and Alice in Wonderland prints.

Do you know where my keys are? If they're not on your artistically painted key-hooks then do I have a product for you!

Have you ever been a babysitter, or babysat before? Yes to both. When I was younger my older cousin used to babysit me. She was pretty baller and we'd watch TV together a lot. As I grew older I was a babysitter for my younger brother and my younger cousins.

Do you think this application is too short? But, it isn't over yet? It doesn't seem too long so far.

HYPOTHETICALS
    Two admin are fighting, the headmin is offline, you can't reach me by phone, what do? I'd have them cease the fighting in the current channel they're in. Then I'd pull them each into a chat with me and mediate between the two and come down to the root of the problem. Once we find where the problem lies I'd talk things out with them and bring them to a resolution. As always I'd look at their intentions and how they were presenting themselves. If anyone was particularly out of line I'd have a more private discussion to see if there was something amiss (Real life problems, trouble with another admin etc.) with them and then persuade them that their way of viewing things or behaving wasn't appropriate. I'd encourage them to use proper channels to vent any frustration they might have and find a positive solution to the problem they are encountering.

You have a decision to make, and both answers are wrong. which one do you pick? In this situation I would pick the answer that caused the least amount of damage if I was unable to find a creative solution that struck a balance between the two. If the answer that has the most supporters feels morally wrong then I would stand by my beliefs.

You are tasked with writing an application question for your own application. What question would you write, and what would you answer? Would I write this question? If so this is the answer.

You are a kid again and your parents caught you doing something wrong. They ask you what you think your punishment should be, how would you respond? Well, it depends on what they caught me doing wrong. I suppose if I was up past my bed-time playing with toys I'd respond "*sigh* No school tomorrow, darn!" and act really upset. I always liked using comedy against my parents to ease tense situations.

Tell me about a time you didn't have to make a difficult decision and what you didn't do to resolve it.
    Last night I was pretty sleepy so I went to bed without question. I didn't have to stay awake and ponder what to do to resolve the issue.

You are filling out an application for an apprenticeship for LLA Don Zombie, you come to a question that asks you to imagine you are doing that hypothetically, how would you answer? I'd consider how strong the meta is. After decent pondering of how strong the meta is I would then answer the questions with a relaxed manner whilst taking my time to proofread and ensure that my responses are sufficient.

You have 22 seconds of air in your sinking submarine, 3 matches, a loaf of bread, an admin, and a player. How do you spend your final moments? Even though I'm not a religious man I'd probably offer up a prayer to whatever god was listening that my family would be alright without me.

Other than that: Instructions unclear shove bread into port hole.
    Taicho, Keone2, Felix Feufer and 14 others like this.
  2. RebelAmerica

RebelAmerica ForumGuard Staff Member

Welli is a great administrator and has devoted many hours/does a lot for the server, I think he's the best person for this position.
  3. Spoffy

Spoffy Head Coder Staff Member

Firstly: I had no idea that Project Lead Apprenticeship was a thing.

Secondly: A great chance to answer recursively was missed here "You are tasked with writing an application question for your own application. What question would you write, and what would you answer? You are tasked with writing an application question for your own application. What question would you write, and what would you answer? You are tasked with writing an application question for your own application. What question would you write, and what would you answer? You are tasked with writing an application question for your own application. What question would you write, and what would you answer?" ...etc.

Thirdly: Welli has spent a long-ass time with the server, and has time and time again proven himself capable in his abilities, rational in his decisions and devoted to LLA. He's calm and levelheaded and has accrued much experience over the time he's been here. I've had the pleasure of talking and playing with Welli on several occasions, and I wholeheartedly believe he would be great at this position.

To lend slightly more weight: I actually bothered to log in to post this ;)
  4. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

I agree with what RA said.

Also, Secondhand Lions is a great movie
    WellingtonTheThird likes this.
  5. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

I do not think wellington is fit for the position, since in my previous experience with him as a player to admin he had little sympathy and did his investigations poorly. Ruthless too.
    I believe an apprentice should be someone that still plays the game and enjoys it, so they know what is best for it and what should be done. A good assistant to have speaking in your ear.
  6. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

While i like RA as Cody has said. I don't think any of the admins are fit for said position of course an admin is prob gonna get picked anyway so who cares.

Anyway. IF And that is a big IF an admins is picked Wellington or RA would be the best picks. OTHERWISE go find a player that not an admin that's the person you need.

Now i'm gonna gtfo before i'm accused of metahateing/metagrudgeing the admins on the forums.

It's a thing if don zombie makes it a thing.
  7. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Any candidate will hopefully have to do a stint assisting with ahelps, if only to get a grasp for how we work and why we do things the way we do.
  8. Pumpkin Man

Pumpkin Man LS13 Admin Staff Member

I think Wellington is best fit for this position currently. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who would really have the time/motivation to really direct anything on a serious level. He has my +1.
  9. LoneWolfSyndrome

LoneWolfSyndrome Forum Guard General Staff Member

Wellington has my full, raw support. I have total faith in Wellington. His experience is superb, his processes are on the level of LLA Heads of Staff, and he has drive to facilitate change in a manner that is both constructive and efficient in resources.

I have spent many, many hours chatting and gaming with Welli, not to mention driving up to his place to spend a week with them in person. Wellington is rock solid.
    If I had any negative points, my only one would be that he can sometimes be extremely set in his ways, though I've seen him work on that and show much improvement without any mention of it from my part.
  10. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the feedback from you folks! I've done some minor grammatical edits to the application. Shout out to Kadingr, Lone, and Spoffy for their help with this.
  11. PepsiBlueFan

PepsiBlueFan Active Member

Honestly, I wouldn't trust anyone else with the position. (Expect Adam, Taicho you two deserve credit) Don, I am sure you have the sense to accept him as your apprentice. I would actually be stunned if he WASN'T your apprentice.
  12. Spades Slick

Spades Slick LS13 Admin

What Wellington has contributed to the team is beyond measure, I would glady love to see him in a position such as this. It takes true dedication to be a man like so. I glady would support him in any of his efforts for he is a superb member of this community and a excellent Person above all.

I think he would make the perfect apprentice and is perfect for the role.
  13. Theodysseygamer

Theodysseygamer Active Member

Wellington is Wellington, I think he is his own kind of worker with the way he puts into the community at the cost of his own time and while we also have many others that do this Wellington, in my opinion, puts in at a level worthy to take this position, the thought he puts in when thinking about steps and directions for LLA is sometimes above and beyond. He takes into account the thoughts and feelings of a lot of people by asking around on their personal ideas about community discussions rather than just assuming the majority. I think he is right for the position because i believe he truly cares for LLAs future and direction and is willing to put the time and effort in for it.
  14. Nat_Mortland

Nat_Mortland Active Member

<3
  15. Stingray540

Stingray540 LS13 Admin

Wellington has my support. He's a great administrator, who is certainly a great addition to the server as it stands, I see no reason as of now that he should not be accepted into this position.

Good luck!
  16. Jariahtoadsage

Jariahtoadsage LS13 Admin

Well, I find you to be the most apt of my superiors, being much more approachable than taicho (Or most of the seinors for that matter). In the past you've been able to reach me on a personal level and honestly, if there is anyone id like to see in the "Second hand Man" Position above me, its either you or cactus. But y'know, As cactus learned from you, you're clearly the role model people need.

As for suggestions? Ive got nothing man. The players love you, the admins are enthralled by you, And you deserve all the limelight and adoration.

Good luck!

+1
  17. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

Wellington doesn't pretend to be perfect, if he makes a mistake he takes constructive criticism and will own up to it. To me that's so very, very important with what we're looking for in a position like this. He's a bright, caring, approachable and professional young man who does the best he can for our community. At this point in time, Wellington would be my first and only choice for this position. Full support all the way man.
  18. Chillyspace422

Chillyspace422 Well-Known Member

100% all of my love. Wellington is a true goodguy.
  19. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

My encounters with Wellingtion have been positive, his presence on the forums speaks volumes about his character. I think he is one of the few people worthy of this position so he gets my full support!!!
  20. Kegsey

Kegsey LS13 Admin

I've never seen a bad thing from Wellington, and he aims to please everyone in any way possible and is still interested in events (From what I saw, the one with the massive backstory to it TLDR) if anyone is more suited to this apprenticeship, it'd be him.
    <3 +69