Closed Traitor: Die a Glorious Death

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Psyentific, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

Pull Request: https://github.com/Spoffy/LLA-Station-13/pull/294

Adds Traitor objective 'Die a Glorious Death'.
    This objective ('Martyr') will trigger instead of 'Hijack' if the traitor has martyr-compatible objectives; That is, the objective can still be completed if he is dead. Most often, that means assassinate, however 'Detonate Nuke' is also flagged as compatible.
    Potential expansions include giving this to Wizards and Nuke Ops.
  2. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Detonate nuke? That's AN OBJECTIVE? AWESOME!
  3. Psyentific

It's currently only available to Nuclear Operatives; Some fiddling could probably hook it up to Traitor.
  4. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Plsno. Nuke is easy to get. Nuke disk... 50/50, depending if good cap.
  5. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

Prepare to get bucklecuffed and whipped if you pull that shit on me as cap.
    NoFaceMan likes this.
  6. Psyentific

Lewd! Too lewd!
    Mindtrixx and JPR like this.
  7. cheif264

cheif264 LS13 Admin

Feel like a lot of people would take dying a glorious death being as kill as many people as they can before their killed..which..would kinda stink in a way. With the whole blow up the nuke though I'm not too sure that would be the best thing for traitors as (in my perspective) they are more there to collect Intel and kill high valued targets for the syndicate whether then destroying the whole station as the nuke ops are for.
  8. Psyentific

I won't deny that, but let's face it people are going to murderbone no matter what.
    Actually, with the way Nuke Ops are currently coded, they will always get a "Detonate Nuke" objective and never get an Escape-like objective. An admin could manually add martyr to the nuke ops, but Nuclear is flagged as martyr_compatible mostly for completion's sake. Since Traitors will never get Nuclear by default, we're not going to see nuclear martyrs unless the admins step in.
  9. cheif264

cheif264 LS13 Admin

I dunno I put things in story wise sometimes so its like for the nuke ops its a expendable team that they don't worry about losing as long as they get their objective done while the traitors are not so much since they want specific things from them and all. Course i could be wrong with this I can see how giving the traitors these objectives can be fun for the game and give them a kind of new danger to the crew for them to look out for. With the murderboning of course its always going to be there so its not to fair for me to judge this idea based on that.
  10. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

If the nuke ops are on station and they die due to the nuke, it's not considered a victory. There is an intrinsic escape element to it.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  11. Psyentific

Really? Hunh. Maybe I should change that then.
  12. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Mmm... maybe add a POSSIBLE marytr obj, if they have a second objective they have to do... but then it's not really nuke ops.
  13. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Please don't. It wouldn't make sense. Otherwise it'd be pretty easy for nukeops to instanuke with the big red button.
    IMVader and QuantumWings like this.
  14. Psyentific

No, no, I meant that Detonate the Nuke is explicitly flagged as martyr compatible. If there's a bit of that objective that checks if the person holding it is alive before flagging it as "Success", I'd have to remove the martyr compatibility. Kind of a moot point because Nuke Ops don't get to roll for Marytr, so it'd only come into play with admin-induced nuke detonation.
  15. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

I have a question. The term "glorious death" implies measurement of glory. Would it be possible to quantify glory in some way? I am disinclined to add things to objectives that are less than straight forward. It could be confusing to new players who can't ask what a glorious death would be. Could we change the terminology of the objective, or quantify glory even in an abstract way? (duplicated to git comments)
    IMVader likes this.
  16. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

How about measuring it in milliclowns? Or maybe milligrffs?
    IMVader and PistolPete like this.
  17. Psyentific

I don't really think we can quantify 'Glory', because what is and is not glorious differs from person to person. I might think feeding yourself into a beacon'd singularity is glorious, while someone else might think that 6xBomb is glorious, someone else murderbone, et cetera. It's almost entirely subjective, and the only thing most people agree upon is "Grief, probably lots". Even moreso, quantifying glorious would be a validation of one or more playstyles, and I really don't think SS13 or LLA is about that.

The objective itself is purposely vaguely worded to encourage players to ask themselves what a glorious death is, then try and do that. What I'm trying to do is use greentext, something that is usually sought-after, to encourage people to do crazy-awesome things, to create something unique and memorable with their liscense to griff and not have to worry about whether or not they survive. In other words, I want to encourage people to do glorious things.
    PistolPete likes this.
  18. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

Denied. It because merge conflicted with the other PR being accepted, but the change for this one just didn't sit right with me.
    QuantumWings likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.