Implemented /tg/ Drone Port

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Devon, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

OH MY GOD HOW HARD IS IT TO UNDERSTAND "DON'T FUCK WITH IT"
    JPR and Devon like this.
  2. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

Hue, the resulting destruction of that bomb wasnt intended! I swear!
    JPR likes this.
  3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Now that I no longer take you seriously I can move on. So, any other thoughts or comments on the addition of the drone port?
  4. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Honestly, I'd be in favor of increasing research cost but not material cost.
  5. Psyentific

Where do Drones get their materials? A consistent issue we had on /tg/ was that once Drones are introduced we had a huge metal shortage. Each drone grabs a stack of metal and suddenly there's none anywhere.
    How do drones store things? Do they have a built-in satchel? Do they have to carry a briefcase around?
    How do drones use tools? Do they have to keep a tool-box in their storage? Do they have a built-in set? If the former, we're may run into a tool shortage as well as a metal shortage.

Drones should either be hard to research and easy to make, or easy to research and hard to make. Not both. This is a feature that should see use, not another cool thing left to gather dust.
  6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

It's not too late to change a few numbers. I think research would be reasonable, but Drache also had a point.
    Once the requirements are met, countless drones could be churned out. I'd rather not see a round with twenty of them, either.
    If they become too numerous, I'll increase the cost More until Drache is satisfied with their population.

Anyway, the current research requirement is 2 Data, 4 Bio. These levels can be reached without leaving R&D. Any thoughts?
  7. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Alternatives to making drones require what shall henceforth be known as "fucking uranium"

1. Introduce a flavor-text explained hard cap on their numbers (like 10 or so)
    2. Make them require a component which can be made for expensive costs (like F.U. or something) but is also either provided in extremely limited quantity initially, or ordered from centcom for a relatively high supply point cost.
    3. Lower their cost to silver because them being common isn't all that big of a deal.
    AnalLoveIsBest and Devon like this.
  8. Psyentific

Make it (vault)gold instead of Silver and we're good. Give maint a little room with a few ready-to-go droneshells and we're good.
  9. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

That choice between making drones or making a vtec module heh
  10. Psyentific

Delicious secborg tears
    QuantumWings and Devon like this.
  11. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Hahaha.

The idea of using plasteel was brought up earlier by one of our brilliant denizens.
    It starts in robotics, is relatively limited in quantity, and is capable of being produced by miners.

The hard cap is also a nice idea.

One concept I thought about implementing to avoid abuse of their ability to reincarnate into a new done body was a global last that holds the ckey if every person who spawns as a drone. Using that, we could limit each ghost to one drone per round.
  12. Psyentific

The thing is, Plasteel is vital for almost all mechs; Ripleys use five sheets, I believe Oddys do too. Robotics only starts with ten. So unless you make it one sheet per drone, we're going to have Robotics making mechs instead of drones every time.
  13. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

True. Perhaps it wouldn't be unfair to give them a research requirement instead of a material requirement?
  14. Psyentific

But then we're right back to Droneswarm.
    A material requirement limits how many drones we can reasonably expect to see; From there, it's just bickering over which material we use.
    A research requirement limits how often we will see them, except not really because most competent RDs max that shit out within 15m. And if we make it past the usual level of maxed-out research, that means we'll never see it because it's this hidden fun thing.
    JPR likes this.
  15. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Factual. So I think we should use gold. There is a little gold left over from a v-tec, and I could make a drone require that much to be born into our horrifying world of abuse and drone-hat fashion.
  16. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

I like it! Protip- If you FULLY upgrade the exosuit fabber with as much research as you can get, you can save ONE sheet of gold for THE MILLS OF R&D! Pisses borgs off that they have to wait, though.
    Devon likes this.
  17. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

Did someone say metal sortage?

I thought xeno made them slimes.

XENO GET THE DRONES SOME METAL

*20 drones outside xeno*
    IMVader and QuantumWings like this.
  18. Psyentific

Xeno never does anything, for fucks sake half the time they ask Cargo for more monkeys. Whenever they aren't blatantly inept, they're just doing it to LE GOLEM ARMY :^)) or some other self-serving purpose
  19. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

We tend to run an average of 2-3 competent departments each round. BUT ALWAYS DIFFERENT ONES :(
    Devon likes this.
  20. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

So far, I've been happy with the responses to this subject. Unless anyone has any reasons otherwise, should I consider this a feature the community will want?
    Ahbahl, IMVader, Psyentific and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.