Implemented /tg/ Drone Port

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Devon, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Hey folks, so I've been poking around in the drone code out of boredom, but I ported it to be compatible with our server.

The only question is whether you guys would like it implemented, I suppose.

For those who don't know, drones allow ghosted players to possess a little robotic body, equipped with a toolbox, a lawset informing them of their job to fix and maintain the station, and a pocket full of dreams.

These drones can zip zap around, vent crawl, open doors, and use their two hands and toolbox to fix hull breaches and rebuild broken machines.
    They are not allowed to interact with humans, and can only see humans as static images. Their banter is heard by humans as robotic chirps and human banter is understood in the same fashion that xenos and monkeyfolk understand it.

Unknown says, "D*vo* ** c*o*."

Essentially, these little guys will allow a limited number of players to re-enter the game and harmlessly aid in station reconstruction. There is also a syndicate version that is quite cute.

I'll leave this here for now, let me know what you think below!
  2. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Hmm. Can this be made a bannable ability, so that drones that fuck up players rounds no longer possess the ability to do so in the future? If so, I'd like it!
  3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

It currently operates the same as a pAI ban, but I may separate them sooner rather than later.

Though, the people who get banned for abusing their role as a drone probably shouldn't be trusted as a pAI who can spout out ghost knowledge.
  4. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Sounds neat then! Only thing is, will this disturb the meta? If I blow up escape and kill 3-4 people, it usually stays blown up. With drones, I expect a swarm of "helpful" drones to come and fix it, as they were killed by the traitor, and fixing it would upset his plans... which might make murderboning harder... Yeah, I'd be fine with it.
  5. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Well, they won't be infinitely available either. We're currently discussing requirements for their construction, and uranium will be a required resource I'm told.

Easier to get than positronic brains, but harder than cyborgs.
  6. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Oh. Never mind then. I have not received uranium from miners in over... 2-3 months of playing?
    Cody522 and QuantumWings like this.
  7. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking when it was suggested, but I understand the urge for scarcity. Perhaps another material would work reasonably?
  8. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Plasteel. It's rare, but it can be FOUND. Make it 5 sheets for one?
    QuantumWings and Devon like this.
  9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

True, and robotics does start with some sheets. Plasteel can also be made, just that no one ever does it. Let's include it on the list of viable resources!

I realized we could also make it gold. Give roboticists a reason not to fondle every cyborg who steals gold from the vault, perhaps?
  10. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

Five sheets for one seems a bit much; Consider that Robotics only starts with, what, ten sheets? And that they use five per mech. Two sheets would probably be better.
  11. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

I personally think it should be something easy and then add a positronic brain but that would be too expensive I guess.
  12. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

Posibrain + Arm + Arm + Leg + Leg.
  13. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

Aye, or a floorbot and a positronic brain. Something like that.
  14. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

It's just a port, not an overhaul :p
  15. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

I was ready to be happy, then i saw the requirements for drones to be built and knew that we would likely never see a drone on LS13, maybe once or twice a year.

It's why i like this ruleset:
    It makes it so that it isn't OP for drones to not have almost byond the impossible build requirements.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  16. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Honestly we should probably give the station 1 or 2 drones worth of components free...

Its funny you say that since my original statement on their expensivity was "More than borgs, less than posibrains"
    Ahbahl likes this.
  17. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Yeah. If you can make a posibrain, you can make a borg. You don't need to make some shitty borg knockoff. How about making it silver? I know that with the mining overhaul, minerals are MUCH rarer then they once were... (inb4 mindtrix's GOD YOUR JUST NOT MINING RIGHT :D ) and overall, I'd estimate that the asteroid has a TOTAL of about 60 of each mineral, assuming that the miners get everything and deliver everything.

As miners DON'T commonly deliver materials, unless it's the HoP or Captain, silver would allow a cargo tech to just grab the 2 sheets that can't really be used for anything else and give them over
    Another thing, somewhat off topic... Botanists can make liquid gold and uranium... is there any way to make sheets out of that?
    kadingir likes this.
  18. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

There is not but there is a way to solidify plasma so its not without precedent... I'll talk to over with the other coders
  19. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

20. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Drones don't have unlimited resources. They're not allowed to act on anyone else's agenda.
    QuantumWings and kadingir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.