Closed Station Goal System

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Flavo, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

https://github.com/FlavoredCactus/LLA-Station-13/commits/EventsandGoals

This project is not completed yet and you can follow the progress at the link above. Before i get into what this is i will list every mechanic it will adjust, there maybe more down the road of development, ill keep this thread updated with posts and such

-The communications console
    -The captain job
    -Shaft Mining
    -Research
    -'Random' Events
    -End round results
    -Tablet's Task Manager app

Ok so what is this? I'm basically working on a goal system to allow non-antags to work together on something (non-antag greentext!), these things can be assigned by random events, the captain himself or other means. all this is run through a new controller called the "Quest Controller" now before anyone freaks out about SS13RPG, the word quest doesn't show up in game at all, just sounded better as a system then "Goal Controller".

During the round, if there is a captain, he will be able to log into his communications console and assign tasks to the crew, these tasks can include but are not limited too

Shaft Mining - Acquire 500 Mining Points
    Research staff - research plasma to level 5
    Research staff - Build a ripley

and those tasks will be sent to the proper tablets, additionally there might be tasks such as

Traitor on board - Report all unauthorize- blah blah
    Unidentified Lifesigns Detected - Secure any exterior access, including ducting and ventilation.

I should make this clear that this system will not be "Notificationstation13" nor will it hold your hand. The captain/command will be in charge of assigning these tasks, false alarms can happen and traitor captains can get clever. With that being said another feature will be the hidden goals/tasks/objectives/quests assigned by the game itself. Lets use the alien event as a example, when the alien event starts there will be a set of goals to complete, goals you will not be filled in on until the round ends, now this sounds difficult as "how can you complete something if you dont know about it".

Each event has a annoucement already in the game, for aliens it is "Unidentified lifesigns detected coming aboard [station_name()]. Secure any exterior access, including ducting and ventilation." once this announcement is triggered it will create the hidden task (only can be viewed at the end of the round) the crew at this point will realize its either aliens or spiders and go batshit looking for alien weeds they normally do. the command can then use the communications console to confirm that they wish to accept this task. When the task is accepted they will get a step to identify the lifesigns, they can chose from a list of possible threats such as aliens or spiders or false alarm, the game will not inform them if they are correct! if they are correct the hidden task will advance to the next step (which in the case of aliens is to slay the queen and secure the crew), if they are incorrect it will be marked as failed, the public task on the comms console will advance to the next step regardless of correct choice

for events with no announcement such as ninja or traitor, these tasks to detain can be assigned by the captain when he realizes there is a ninja running around, of course reporting it on a task does NOT confirm it nor will you get a answer from the game on if something is correct or not, you will only learn this at the end of the round.

for example:

In-game task
    Alien Infestation
    -Slay the alien queen
    -Secure 80% of the crew on the shuttle

Hidden actual task
    Spider Infestation
    -Secure 80% of the crew on the shuttle

End round report:
    Spider Infestation
    -Command failed to identify the outbreak

At the end of the round a list of each hidden goal and what was accomplished will be listed.(in a pop up, not the chat box) in a average round this will generally look like this:

Alien Infestation
    -Command correctly identified the alien outbreak
    -Alien Queen was slain
    -Crew was successfully evacuated

Meteor Storm
    -80% of the crew managed to survive the storm

Ninja
    -Command was able to confirm a ninja presence on the station
    -The ninja was successfully slain by the crew
    -80% of the crew survived

Please ask any questions about anything that doesn't make sense, I know im not that good at annoucements and the sort, my focus is on coding this thing rather then explaining it.
    Remember, nothing is concrete, as of typing this i am not even near done.
    Cody522, IMVader and NoFaceMan like this.
  2. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

I dont like the ninja one. Wouldnt make sense for the crew to kill the ninja thats working for NT.
    kadingir likes this.
  3. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

It was a example, everything listed is a example. also ninjas are antags and most of the time are assigned to "Syndicate"
  4. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

Pretty sure the chance is 50/50 since its determined by var/helping_station which is either 1 or 0.
  5. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

None of that matters. None of this matters, it was a example.
    Ahbahl likes this.
  6. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

I like more ways for the captain to... actually captain. :cool:
  7. IMVader

IMVader Well-Known Member

Several of those goals can be achieved before evacuation. I'd recommend to reward cargo points for their completion.

Regarding crew survival, I'd recommend removing suicides from the list of casualties. There is little you can do to prevent those.
    JPR and NoFaceMan like this.
  8. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

#ImplementPsychiatrist2015
    NoFaceMan, Jayce Wise and IMVader like this.
  9. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

sounds fine

except have a detailed high score list. Gives people more of a reason to get as many points as possible
  10. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Come up with RNG fluff fun assignment titles for end round results.. for example

could become
  11. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

Ensure nobody on the Escape Shuttle is wearing a hat.
    Psyentific, JPR, IMVader and 2 others like this.
  12. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    WIP screenshot
    IMVader, NoFaceMan and Ahbahl like this.
  13. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

14. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

So... if the crew kills it, but command doesn't report it because OH GOD A BLOB KEEP SHOOTING... it counts as nothing? I dislike that.
  15. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

you can confirm the blob after everyone kills it. you have a entire shift to confirm it, its only too late after the round ends. prizes can be acquired every 5 minutes. hell the blob could of happened at the beginning of the round and you can confirm it at the last 5 minutes and still get a prize.
  16. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I suggested this a while ago and really hope it gets added, I love everything here.
    ProbablyBaron and NoFaceMan like this.
  17. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

AH! Much better. I thought you had to confirm CORRECTLY before you dealt with it, which seemed a little... much.
  18. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Closed, I'll revisit this at a later date maybe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.