Space Law

Discussion in 'General' started by IMVader, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMVader

IMVader Well-Known Member

Some suggestions.

Current:

Brig Procedures

Standard Operational Procedures for brigging are as follows:
    1. Take the prisoner to the brig and inform the Warden of their crimes so their Security Record may be updated.
    2. Take the prisoner to a brig cell, set the time and activate the timer.
    3. Enter the cell with the prisoner in tow, open the cell locker and hold the prisoner over it.
    4. Empty their pockets and remove their gloves, backpacks, tool belt, gas masks, and any flash resistant equipment such as Sunglasses, Welding Masks/Goggles, Space Helmets, etc.
    5. Buckle the prisoner to the bed.
    6. Search the items removed and be sure to check the internals box in their backpack.
    7. Confiscate any contraband and/or stolen items, as well as any tools that may be used for future crimes.
    8. These are to be placed in evidence, not left on the brig floor or your personal use, until they can be returned to their rightful owners.
    9. Close the locker and lock it.
    10. Flash the prisoner, remove their cuffs, pick up the cuffs then leave the cell.
    11. Modify their brig sentence for additional offences or good behavior, if applicable.
    Do NOT fully strip the prisoner unless they have earned a permanent sentence.
    In the event of a sentence exceeding the 10 minute limit of the timer inform the Warden so he may add the rest of the time later.
    In the instance of prisoners that have earned Labor Camp duty, you must dress them in orange overalls and assign them targets, based on their sentence, by getting a prison ID, putting it in a Prisoner Management Console, assigning their quota (conversion rate of 100 points per minute otherwise served in the brig) and then giving them the ID as you ship them to the Labor Camp. There are more details on this procedure at Labor Camp.
    In the instances of prisoners that have earned permanent detention it is the duty, under normal circumstances, of the Warden or Head of Security to process these prisoners.
    Permanent Prisoners are to be completely stripped of their belongings, which are to be held in either evidence or a prison locker.
    The prisoner is to be dressed in an Orange Prison Jumpsuit and Shoes, which are found in the prison lockers.
    Permanent Prisoners are not permitted to possess any personal belongings whilst they are incarcerated in the Prison Wing. The Labor Camp can also be used to hold Permanent Prisoners. Simply do not issue a prisoner ID when transferring them to the camp.

Proposed changes

Change the following:
    2. Take the prisoner to a brig cell, set the time and occupant, and activate the timer.
    4. Empty their pockets and remove every item besides jumpsuit, shoes and headset. Shoes can be replaced with legcuffs if the prisoner resists, and headset can be confiscated if abused.
    7. Confiscate any contraband and/or stolen items, as well as any tool abused to commit crimes.
    8. Stolen items are to be placed in evidence, not left on the brig floor or your personal use, until they can be returned to their rightful owners.

Add the following:
    Do NOT fully strip the prisoner unless they have earned a labor or permanent sentence.

Remove this outdated line:
    In the event of a sentence exceeding the 10 minute limit of the timer inform the Warden so he may add the rest of the time later.

Make a separate section called Labor Procedures, substituting the paragraph currently dealing with the matter, with the following:
    1. Take a prisoner ID in Labor Shuttle access, put it on the prisoner management console, set the crimes and prisoner and take it back from the console.
    2. Take the prisoner to the Labor Shuttle lockers, open one and hold the prisoner over it.
    3. Fully strip the prisoner and dress him in orange jumpsuit and shoes. If the prisoner resists you may substitute the shoes for legcufs.
    4. Attach the prisoner ID to the prisoner's ID slot.
    5. Bucklecuff him to a Labor Shuttle chair.
    6. Flash the prisoner, remove their cuffs, pick up the cuffs then leave the shuttle, remembering to close the external Labor Camp Shuttle Airlock to avoid the prisoner escaping.
    7. Send the shuttle to labor camp using the Labor Shuttle Console.
    Make a separate section called Permabrig Procedures, substituting the four paragraphs currently dealing with the matter, with the following:
    1. Request authorization of the acting Warden, HoS or Captain to permanently imprison the offender. Do not proceed without it.
    2. Take the prisoner to the prison wing, open a brig locker and hold the prisoner over it.
    3. Fully strip the prisoner and dress him in orange jumpsuit and shoes. If the prisoner resists you may substitute the shoes for legcufs.
    4. Take the prisoner to a Long-Term Cell and buckle him to the bed, making sure the blast doors are closed in case of presence of other prisoners.
    5. Step out of the cell and use the wall-mounted remote control to set the crimes and occupant of the cell, updating the security records.
    6. Step back into the cell, flash
    7. These are to be placed in evidence, not left on the brig floor or your personal use, until they can be returned to their rightful owners.
    8. Close the locker and lock it.
    9. Flash the prisoner, remove their cuffs, pick up the cuffs then leave the cell.
    Thoughts?
    ProbablyBaron likes this.
  2. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

This makes it sound like you're trash canning little kids in middle school. Love it.
    NoFaceMan and IMVader like this.
  3. These changes seem cogent. Just ensure it's clear that one can permabrig without warden, HoS or cap approval in the event that there are no active and legitimate/competent people in said positions.
    QuantumWings and Felix Feufer like this.
  4. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Wait, really?
  5. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

It runs into the issue of if no authorities sign up, and you have a someone who you perceive requires perma (In this scenario imagine you're right, that they require perma). Without what Flatoftheblade said, you can't proceed.
  6. Heh, it's a common point of confusion, which is why I suggested making it more explicit.

I've had more than a few people tell me "YOU'RE JUST A SEC OFFICER, YOU CAN'T PERMA ME! YOU'RE IN TROUBLE!" when I permabrigged them while the people with approval authority were some combination of non-existent/braindead/antag/incompetent.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  7. IMVader

You are both right and wrong. You can permabrig when there is no warden, HoS or captain, but you cannot permabrig when there is no acting warden, HoS or captain. What does that mean? That by taking the benefits of an important security role you are also accepting the responsibilities. If you are the only security and you are doing HoS job, then you are acting HoS. If you are an assistant on low population, steal the captain's spare, give yourself all access and execute or permabrig someone then you will be treated as security or captain, and expected to follow space law and brig procedures.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I gathered from my interaction with admins as both graytiding vigilante and lone security officer.
  8. Not sure how this contradicts what I wrote. As a security officer without proper superiors with authorization authority, you are in effect acting HoS and this is what effects privileges where permabrigging are concerned. If another sec officer has already assumed the position of acting HoS, conveyed that to the team and been acknowledged as such, you do still require their authorization, yes. But that isn't the situation I stipulated.

You also have no obligation to retain acting HoS status beyond your immediate need to permabrig someone. So in effect you can just permabrig without requiring authorization and without assuming any further responsibilities.

Extremely iffy, if not outright absurd in most cases (because it suggests that committing a capital crime gives you the right to kill other players who commit capital crimes). Stealing the captain's spare does not make automatically make you captain and give you the authority to execute people, nor would it bind you to the same level of responsibility that a legitimate head or security player would be subjected to. This could potentially change based on context (e.g. you assert yourself as captain and are actually recognized as such in character by the crew) but is certainly not a general or automatic rule.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  9. IMVader

Let me give you an example: Captain was a ling and got gibbed by random assistants, nobody has signed as HoP and HoS spaces himself for gambling debts. There are, though two other security officers besides you. You have no authority to inquire on whether to permabrig or not, but you do have two colleagues.
    What you can do: Announce you are acting warden/hos/captain and going to permabrig someone, and give them the chance to dispute your claim or arrest.
    What you can't do: Simply permabriging the prisoner without informing anyone for you have no superiors.

If this matches what you said, ignore it then.

Stealing the spare no, but behaving as acting captain does. If you announce you are acting captain (and act upon it) then you assume both the responsibilities and perks. To demote a legitimate captain you need a valid reason, though, or you'll get in trouble with the admins. You will still be at risk of getting charged with mutiny, a capital crime.

Lets get into practical examples:

1) Low pop, you start as assistant and there is no command. You steal the spare, set the engine, equip yourself and patrol the station.

1.1) You find an atmos tech sabotaging atmosia, to flood the station with plasma. You can permabrig, execute or borg him, but only after you've publicly announced your condition of acting captain. You cannot cremate him without a word to the crew.

1.2) You find an assistant breaking into EVA. You can send him to labor for B&E (RA) after you've announced your status. You cannot leave him bucklecuffed and naked in a cell for 5 minutes. Nor you can send him to labor without making your rank public.

2) Normal round. The captain is executing people for breaking into his quarters, in direct violation of space law. Command and security refuse to do anything about it. As an assistant you can arrest the captain and announce his demotion. You can't just kidnap and space him.

2.1) You decide to take it further and execute him for his crimes. You must announce your are becoming acting captain, and take the responsibility.

Bottom line is: you want the benefits? Take the responsibilities.
  10. I think that we generally agree but are getting sidetracked by our mutual neckbeard semantics.
    IMVader likes this.
  11. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

I see nothing wrong with these changes and support them fully.
    +1
  12. While this thread exists, although I don't want a completely brand new and rewritten Space Law for LLA (as every attempt thus far has been infinitely worse than TG Space Law), there are two charges I would quite like to see added to Space Law:

- Kidnapping: The unlawful detention and/or transportation of a person against their will. (Recommended major crime)

- Forcible Confinement: The unlawful imprisonment or confinement of a person against their will. (Recommended major crime)

"Assault" and "Assault of an Officer" are not sufficient charges to address certain common scenarios. Space Law needs to provide security with more tools to deal with things in an IC fashion when people get cuffed and dumped in an area they don't have access to or tools to escape with.
    IMVader likes this.
  13. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Please, these two are needed, ESPECIALLY kidnapping.
  14. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I think these need to be added: (From Bay)

Misuse of Public Radio Channels - To continually broadcast unimportant, untrue, or insignificant messages on the public radio frequency. (Minor)

Animal Cruelty - To inflict unnecessary suffering or harm upon animals with malicious intent. (Major)

Mistreatment of Prisoners - Preventing proper treatment from being given to a prisoner, abusing a prisoner, and preventing them from having access to a viable method of communication. In the event that a prisoner dies because of mistreatment, the charge is immediately upgraded to either murder or manslaughter, depending on intent. (Major to Capital)

Excessive use of force in detainment - Repeatedly batoning a prisoner after they've been handcuffed, Using force against an unarmed and compliant suspect, and usage of lethal weapons in a non-lethal situation. (Minor to Medium)
    QuantumWings likes this.
  15. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Yep. Want.
  16. IMVader

I'm ok with this, since it's a minor.

Major? You going to send someone to labor for killing The Don?

This could work as a major, murder already covers the capital part.

Assault and assault with deadly weapon already cover this.
  17. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

No NO NO NO NO!

Last thing we need is any random shitcurity policing what we say over comms. Insult his mom? misuse of public radio.
    Say thats bullshit and refuse arrest? resisting + misuse.
    Obviously disarm or try to run away?ASSAULT ON A OFFICER - 7 MINUTES
    BUT YOU ALSO SPARKED A MANHUNT SO 14 MINUTES, THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR INSULTING MY MOM!

It's just asking to be abused.
  18. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

Actually, that's not exactly what it says.

If you're going to insult an officer's mother for an entire minute, then you deserve to be brigged for a few minutes (also, puts a legal lid on Woody's got Wood if someone decides to spam it).

And I would like to see a specific line in space law that states excessive force in detainment is illegal. There are currently officers who think they have the right to punch prisoners (officers that I believe are potential Perseus candidates, actually).
    QuantumWings and IMVader like this.
  19. SPLEEN MCQUEEN

SPLEEN MCQUEEN Active Member

i already get tossed into perma enough for killing ian as it is without them actually having a reason for it, and after last nights round where a pair of shitty sec borgs spent the better part of an hour arresting me while i tried to figure out why they had robocop laws i think it's for the best if radio chatter isn't a briggable offense
    Mindtrixx and Obadiah Mayland like this.
  20. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

IMVADER: Major? You going to send someone to labor for killing The Don?
    It should either be that law or have Corgi meat as grand theft. I hate it when people steal my Ian and kill him for no reason, and I can't try them for any crime.

Mindtrixx: It's just asking to be abused.
    Just about anything can be abused. People spamming on the radio or lying about the location of a traitor should be punished.

SPLEEN MCQUEEN: [Insert complaining because I stole and murdered a high risk item for no reason.]
    Unless your a traitor or an ass hat, there is no reason to steal Ian. I've honestly seen you as one of the usual Greytiders, so I can see why you wouldn't support this. The cyborg's sound stupid however, and it wouldn't of happened if there was actual security around, I'm sure.
    Cody522 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.