Space Law

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RebelAmerica, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelAmerica

RebelAmerica ForumGuard Staff Member

Good feedback so far, guys. The thread has a week left then the major issues with it will be changed(IE: Take minor crimes down to 1-3 minutes or so, but keep serious crimes a bit higher) and so on.

Keep it coming.
  2. CannibalCrow

CannibalCrow LS13 Admin Staff Member

I'm not opposed to boosting the time. I'm opposed to simply ramping up the times pretty much indiscriminately. I'd like to see a more careful consideration of each crime and a time they deserve. We don't have to stay within the whole 'Four crime categories' thing. We can do whatever the hell we want with it. We can change Space Law to whatever we feel like it, and it could turn out an entirely different creature than it is now.

The problem I see with the four categories when they're bumped up like this is a simple act of several very, very minor things can result in you being put in the brig for a large portion of the round. Things that happen very frequently. This isn't going to enrich the round or the gameplay, it's just going to keep players out of the game for something that is part of the game. We don't need to use the categories and constrain ourselves just to them.

Things we could do:
    • Do away with the categories so we can determine individual sentences appropriate for each crime, rather than lumping them together. Allows for more diverse and fair sentencing.
    • Establish an appropriate maximum non-perma sentence time. There used to be a maximum sentence time of 10 minutes for a reason. (Obviously 10 is now too low with these times, so another should be established.)
    • Determine alternative methods to serving the sentence. i.e. The Labor Camp or other methods.
    I'm sure others could be thought of as well. Like I said, I'm not opposed to increasing some times..But as is, this is more than a little bit much.

Edit: I've seen a lot of people complain that their round is round because "They stole something of mine!" Or just because their work was momentarily disrupted by something happening. If your round is legitimately ruined, disrupted to a major degree, it should be dealt with. Some havoc is part of this game. Losing some of your items, or being sidetracked by something isn't ruining your round. Now I'm not saying there isn't a limit, because there absolutely is. If you feel something wasn't dealt with appropriately, make a report. It then has an opportunity to get reviewed by more people than it was originally.

For a while I've seen people say that players can do "Whatever they want", and I'll be completely honest with you. That's complete bull. Do you know how many bans we have? A lot. We have nearly 500 bans on the server, the majority of which are permanent. So nearly 500 permabans, supplemented with continuous tempbans. The notion that people can get away with anything they want is absurd.

This is off topic though, soooo.
    Legato_frio and QuantumWings like this.
  3. RebelAmerica

RebelAmerica ForumGuard Staff Member

Thank you all for the feedback, I am going to close this thread and make the major changes that were presented here.

I'll reopen it with the new Space Law whenever I get around to finishing it.
    Black Jack and NoFaceMan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.