Archived Space Law Amendment: Non-violent capital offenders

Discussion in 'Code Suggestions' started by TheJuicyFruit, May 11, 2015.

1. TheJuicyFruit

TheJuicyFruit Well-Known Member

As an admin and player it's disappointing to see permabrigged players quit because they were only kept in a 2x3 space. I believe an amendment or clause should be added to our revision of space law to say Non-violent capital offenders (Ideally all non-antag prisoners, however that's usually who the violent offenders are) are to be given basic recreational and nutritional needs, and given access to the main perma cell. Should people really have to stop playing the game for what could be upwards of an hour because they wanted to muck about with a hand tele without hurting anyone?
    General_Battier likes this.
  2. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Non violent capital crimes shouldn't be capital then if it's not so deserving.
    Stole an ablative vest? Woop de doo
    Stole the RD armor? Whatever
    Stole the RCD? Oh well
    Hypospray? Yawn
    Captain's laser? Who wouldn't?

If it's the captain's ID though, they definitely should go to perma. Most people are smart enough to hide spares some where after being stripped the first time.
    Only really abusive prisoners, and shitty crew should be put into the permabrig.
    Rob Ust and Flatoftheblade like this.
  3. Pumpkin Man

Pumpkin Man LS13 Admin Staff Member

I can get behind this.
    Rob Ust likes this.
  4. I agree that if this is going to be the case, we should just make grand theft a major crime instead of a capital crime. Having amendments to give them better treatment while still being permabrigged is just silly and makes little difference other than being annoying for security. I'm quite indifferent to this in any case.

Also agree that all access should be treated like any other capital crime, for the reasons stated by Cody.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  5. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

I'm a firm believer of letting players in to the recreational area of the permabrig. Even having the default set as the blast doors being open, meaning there should be a thought process behind closing them.
  6. While this subject is raised, what is the server's current stance on the use of straightjackets, legcuffs, blindfolds, gags and such? I never use them on any prisoner without a specific articulable reason, but the ruleset doesn't address this very clearly.

I was not only permabrigged, but also legcuffed, for stealing a hand tele, and it was annoying as hell.
  7. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

I don't see much of an issue with leg cuffing a permabrigged prisoner but let's keep it for dangerous criminals that resist arrest or make attempts to escape. Straight jacketing should be a no unless a prisoner is being transported or deemed to be inflicting enough self harm that they're a risk to themselves. Blindfolding and Gagging should be used appropriately, transporting dangerous prisoners with a threat of a hidden implant and the such.

This is broadly covered in rule 1, leaving a player blindfolded, gagged, leg cuffed and straight jacketed in the prison wing for a reason that's not covered in the above, or a very convincing RP reason to do so, is to be considered grief.
    Raptorblaze likes this.
  8. Raptor

Raptor Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't even permabrig them if their only crime is grand theft of one thing. If they're cooperative and haven't really done much else, or have been helpful in some way (for example, last night I brigged pumpkin man for stealing the ablative, but in doing so he go a traitor to reveal themself) then I usually count the grand theft as 10 minutes or so.

As for this amendment, I certainly agree that permabrigged prisoners should be allowed access to the main prison room, unless they're being extremely toxic and unpleasant or pose a threat to the other prisoners. It's something I do all the time as it is, I don't really see why others still don't.
  9. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Literally every time I've ever let prisoners into the common room they breach the window preventing future people from being allowed in. Perma needs to be fixed so it's not a severe safety hazard/easy escape, for prisoners to just break out to griff all future prisoners.
    QuantumWings and Flatoftheblade like this.
  10. This is true, perma is terribly designed and completely unreliable. The common area gets compromised constantly. Another reason this discussion should be about whether grand theft should be a capital crime instead of creating different tiers of prisoner treatment with the same sentences.

Although at the same time I will say I think it's completely lame to have traitor objectives that don't result in a capital sentence. No tension at all.
    QuantumWings, Raptor and Mabblies like this.
  11. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

Those grilles are electric so they can only bust them by having a shard from another window.

There are many ways to fix the perma window breach ( It would not be much of an issue if engis did there job anyway)

wait nvm every time a competent engis fix perma they get arrested for "Breaking in"

Anyway you could remove the windows to stop them you could also put reinforced tables in front of them ect.
  12. Engineers actually fixing busted permabrig windows? lol
    QuantumWings and Sweedle like this.
  13. daddysds1

I know i myself do it because it annoys the fuck out of me to see broken windows when there was a window there round start. Hell i tend to chase people down if i catch them breaking shit -_-.

Example my sig don't fuck up the floor tiles same goes with windows.
  14. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Preventing the window from being broke isn't really the issue for me. It's the fact that while alive, in permabrig they have nothing to do but play arcade machines, and grow shit. But if they kill themselves they get to fly around as a ghost and know everything, and watch all the cool stuff go down, what better way to suicide then to bust the window as one last "fuck you" to security.
    Flatoftheblade and QuantumWings like this.
  15. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

We should just do away with permabrig entirely, and make prison camp interesting.
    Flavo and QuantumWings like this.
  16. QuantumWings

QuantumWings Well-Known Member

Permabrig needs a way of escape for prisoners not to just ghost, suicide, log out or alt-tab. But if this is the case sec would execute or creates more secure cells every time.
  17. daddysds1

Inb4 i come in here with 10+ Screen shots of groups/epic escapes geting out of perma.

Examples

As a non antang CE i unblocked the permabrig Computer before geting sent to perma and then used it to contact a engi and he got a space suit and got me and another person out that the shitty ass capt had briged for "Mutiny"

Another one was antang chaplain geting tossed into perma with a uplink implant emaged out and the 3 antangs inside raped sec and escape via sec pod with 10 seconds to spare.

It's not hard to escape you just gotta plan before hand.