Psyentific's Perseus Application [Denied]

Discussion in 'Perseus PMC Applications' started by Psyentific, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

I'll state from the outset that I've only been playing LLA for a few days. With that said, so far I'm enjoying it and I do intend to stick around. I do not currently have an admin sponsor or a significant number of Security rounds (on LLA) under my belt, however I frequently played Security/Cargocurity on /tg/station, circa late-2012/early-2013.

BYOND KEY: Psyentific
    IC NAME: Karen Sharpe, alternately Lyra Steiner-Davion (Captain)
    PICK THREE THREE DIGIT NUMBERS THAT YOU LIKE (EXAMPLE: 079, 009, 356): 762, 556, 045
    HAVE YOU EVER USED A DIFFERENT BYOND KEY ON ONE OF OUR SERVERS, AND IF SO, WHAT WAS IT AND WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT? - (THIS QUESTION ADDED BY HATTRICK): I use an alternate BYOND account on occasion; Starfighter-104. It's useful for when I don't want people to immediately recognize me.
    HAVE YOU EVER BEEN BANNED FROM OUR SERVER? EXPLAIN: Not to my knowledge.
    HOW LONG HAVE YOU PLAYED SS13?: Since mid-2012, inconsistently since mid-2014.

I can confidently say that I've done everything I want to do, and have long-since reached the pinnacle of my robustness. Most of the game is trivially easy for me, and in the odd occasion that I find myself falling prey to something, it is almost always either bad luck or being caught unaware.

WHAT DOES HAVING AUTHORITY MEAN TO YOU?: The responsibility to use your power to benefit those you have power over.
    HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAY SECURITY?: Fairly frequently; Usually two or three out of every five rounds, with the remainder in Cargo.
    OH A SCALE OF ONE TO TEN HOW WOULD YOU RATE YOURSELF WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A NORMAL SECURITY OFFICER? EXPLAIN: 8/10; I'm exceptionally robust, but I often ignore Space Law in favor of flying by the seat of my pants. It's my firmly held opinion that Space Law is a tool to do Security's job, not the job itself. Oftentimes, I consider context just as much as action, and I may or may not find myself looking the other way. I frequently go easy on first-time or benign offenders and go hard on repeat offenders or unpleasant people.

In no uncertain terms, my greatest flaw as a Security officer is that I learned Security in a place where Space Law was a suggestion. I have never read spesslaw and do not intend to use it in day-to-day gameplay; It is a crutch I do not need.

HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE XENOMORPHS?: Not really. It's a cool idea that tends towards extremes more than anything else. Mechanically, Xenomorphs are incredibly OP, able to instantly knockdown anybody in melee range and throw facehuggers to disable unprotected mobs at range. However, they can quickly be shut down if the crew is robust and the initial xenos are not. Likewise, if the crew are unrobust, a passably-skilled alium will have the station at its mercy more often than not. They're a round-ender, and should be treated (and encouraged) as such.
    WHAT IS THE ROLE OF SECURITY ON THE STATION?: Keep the crew safe. Everything else is faggotry by degrees.
    ANSWER THESE HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION AS HONESTLY AS YOU CAN ASSUMING YOU WERE PLAYING AS SECURITY, HOW YOU WOULD HANDLE IT:
    *You are walking down a corridor of the station when you see a clown slip someone on a banana and pull their jump suit off and laugh, how would you handle this*: Slip the clown on a banana, steal his shoes and laugh. If possible, honk him with his bike horn.
    This isn't worth the time it would take to brig, search, and process. If I can't clownslip, flash him and tell him to fuck off; *scold would be a nice thing to have here. Either way, helpclick the slipped guy and make sure people aren't stealing the slipped guy's stuff, and flash him if he picks a fight with the clown. If the situation escalates (as it is wont to do), brig the clown for being a nuisance (Workplace hazard?), brig the dude for assault.
    *You are sitting in the bar having a light drink during a break when you hear someone yell about a xenomorph in the library. You run there and find an alien eating the librarian, what do you do?*: From the bar, say ";AI, check library cameras". Immediately after, say ":s Responding Library", then go to the library. Upon seeing the Xenomorph, shift-click to make sure it's not an assistant in a suit and get the fuck out of dodge. Once I've cleared the immediate vicinity, call it in to Security, Command, Departmental, and General, in that order. Make sure that everybody knows that the shit is hitting the fan. As an ordinary Officer, I am absolutely not equipped to handle this from range, and closing to melee with a Xenomorph is suicide.

The best thing I can do in the immediate term is stay alive, followed immediately by getting a laser, riot helmet and riot shield from the Armory, then following the HoS/Captain/Officers in. If we don't crush the Xenos immediately, before they get a foothold, we'll lose the station.

*You are standing in security and you see the head of security being especially rough with a prisoner in a cell, what would you do?*: Consider context. Do I know this guy? Is he a butt? Do I know this HoS? Is he a butt? People generally don't abuse prisoners 4noraisin, and shitter HoSes usually make themselves rapidly evident. If the prisoner is being an assblast, has been purposely antagonizing security, or is a frequent offender, just look the other way. That's one less problem for me to worry about. On the other hand, if the Head of Security is a comdom, is frequently abusing prisoners, arresting people 4nr, or generally making trouble, this is exactly the excuse I need to arrest him and push for his demotion.
    My reaction to this situation depends more on the people involved than anything else.

ARE YOU CURRENTLY AN ADMIN, AND IF NOT-MIGHT YOU BE INTERESTED IN ADMINSHIP IN THE FUTURE?: Absolutely not. Every single person I know who's become an admin stopped enjoying the game. I want to enjoy the game, not volunteer to deal with its dregs.

CAKE OR PIE? EXPLAIN IN AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE: Cake. Mematics aside, I prefer the soft bready-ness of a good cake to the sweet pastry-ness of a good pie.
  2. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Should probably quote the important stuff for posterity before he edits it.
    Flavo likes this.
  3. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Double post because size restrictions.

Perseus is held to an even higher standard than Security Officers. If you can't learn and follow Space Law as a Security Officer then you'll have a snowballs chance in hell for getting accepted into the trialing process.

[​IMG]

Care to elaborate on the second half?
    Flatoftheblade and NoFaceMan like this.
  4. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Space Law is pretty important in use, to justify why you're arresting someone, as well as to give appropriate times for crimes. If possible, could you attempt to stick to space law, so we can see how you work with it?
  5. I'm of the opinion, and this just my own opinion and far from an official stance of Perseus, that this application should be denied on its own merits on the basis of the answers provided. It would reflect quite negatively on Perseus for this application to be accepted and the opinions expressed by this applicant to essentially be officially endorsed.

No way I could support this applicant unless his entire philosophy and approach to the security role changes and he makes this explicitly clear. On the basis of the written answers I personally don't even think it's worth observing this applicant in game before making a decision, because the problems are too glaring, too central to how he views the role, too...even proud to be contrarian about professionalism. His problems aren't ones of incompetence or lack of self-awareness, they are conscious decisions made and defended by him when is is aware of alternatives, and that makes them far harder to fix because he doesn't see anything that needs fixing. At least I'll give him points for his honesty. But if these answers don't qualify as poor enough to warrant rejecting an app, then there is no point in Perseus even bothering soliciting written applications. That's all I have to say about this.
  6. Flaksim

Flaksim Active Member

Well, you have been honest, that is a big +.

I'd suggest you take the time to learn to know the server better, and get a grasp of space law before considring a serious application. Its not a job to take on lightly.
    Good luck!
    NoFaceMan likes this.
  7. LeJack

LeJack Active Member

May I ask what character names you used on TG if different?
  8. Benblu

Benblu Firstest

If i remember right they used to play as a QM on /tg/, as Janet Williams.
    If i'm wrong correct the shit out of me.
  9. LemonSoup

LemonSoup LS13 Admin

The playstyle you've described here is almost fundamentally opposed to how Perseus work. Perseus behave by-the-book, as one of their balancing factors is their shackling SOP.

I think in order to get my support you'd need to demonstrate on the server that you can adapt your playstyle to something more in line with the Perseus philosophy, and probably just write a new application to show your understanding of how an enforcer is expected to operate. It's fine to play however you want on other servers and outside of Perseus roles, as long as you can conform to what is expected of Perseus when required.
  10. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Everything Flat said. Honestly at this point just have assume unless otherwise stated that his opinion is exactly the same as mine..

-1 for the time being.
  11. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

Some of your application answers were unsatisfactory but I will hold out hope for you in case it was just prideful boasting.

Quick tips:
    Perseus are professionals, they don't use profanity often and they work by the book. Space Law is indeed a guideline, however the SoP is far more strict than that. Even if its not your general playstyle showing us you can play by the book is key.

Having different views on how prisoners should be handled and what crimes given out to whom is generally left up to Enforcer opinion. However you won't find anyone condoning abuse of prisoners here, no matter who the receiving person is.

As an Enforcer you will be representing Perseus as a whole with your number, criticisms will be thrown at everyone and not just you. Same goes for security but on a less persistent level. Your attitude can gain allies or start a riot against you, be mindful of that throughout your application process.

I'll be observing you.
    Flavo likes this.
  12. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Up to there I support entirely.

Okay, sorry for the brief post, I was on a timeline and wasn't at home, working on other people's deadlines...

Reading over your responses most of them are incredibly backwards to what is expected by Perseus, if you can change your philosophy at some point I'll retract me -1 but until that time, I just can't support you.
  13. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

I learned that lesson long ago.
    SURPRISE, PEOPLE CAN BE GOOD AT THEIR JOB WITHOUT DOING IT YOUR WAY
    Scold him. No vore-fetishizing on station, quit giving half the crew a heart attack, et cetera. Bad assistant, bad.
    Yes, you aren't supposed to beat the prisoners, come on man we all know this shit. My point is that I might not care if that specific prisoner happens to be a complete jackass.

=====
    Curiously enough, I've found myself enforcing spacelaw without ever giving it more than a cursory readover. Sure, my brigtimers don't always line up, but the perps wind up in the brig for pretty much the same stuff, plus or minus a few minutes depending on circumstance and their attitude. Call it convergent evolution.

As I said in my application, Spacelaw is a tool, or maybe a crutch. It's there to tell you how to do your job competently; "If person does this, search like this, brig for this." It is absolutely not a substitute for your own judgement, however, and I strongly feel that the ability to apply your judgement (and consistently make good calls) is the dividing line between competent security and good security.

During my heyday, Janet Williams.

As Security, your job is to keep the station safe. Compare to Medbay, which keeps them alive, Engineering, which keeps the station intact, et cetera. Everything you do as a Security Officer that does not contribute to public safety first, public order second, and the greater good third is faggotry. Useless fluff, silly screwing-around, mindless dickery, whatever you want to call it; Stop doing that and start doing your job.

Understood. Application withdrawn, please lock the thread.
  14. Tomtoot

Tomtoot Active Member

I know you're locking it but I want to give you plus points for having the test alliance picture as your profile picture :)
    Flaksim and CYBORZ like this.
  15. Hattrick

Hattrick Perseus Captain Staff Member

I appreciate your attitude and enthusiasm, and it's always great to see interest and new blood.

This application is denied. Please read the title of the first thread of this forum section, and become familiar with the contents of the first link (at least) in the first (and only) post of that thread.

We will be excited to consider a new application from you not sooner than three months. Be sure to include a link to this application in your new one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.