Poll: Map

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RebelAmerica, Feb 13, 2014.

?

Which map?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2014.
  1. Metastation

40 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Current

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Either pipes/wires in space, or the coders add a new machine that beams power across the infinite void.
    Cody522 likes this.
  2. Kainen

Kainen Fabulous-min

We do already have a precursor to that IRL, we've got those wireless charging stations that conduct power through a surface. I think the Samsung S3 uses it.
  3. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

We're talking about ranges of miles, if not thousands of, not >2 centimeter :p
    Cody522 likes this.
  4. Kainen

Kainen Fabulous-min

And canonically, SS13 is set 500 years in the future. With humanities current rate of technological advancement, I'm willing to bet it can be done.
  5. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

That'd be one huge magnetic field, likely not possible :p
  6. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

humanity has its limits and an idea like this can go in its own thread
  7. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

Well you see Nanotrasen has been working on some [redacted]
  8. Asheram

Asheram Active Member

By the power of Tesla! Free limitless power through the ether!
    Jayce Wise likes this.
  9. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

There are microwave emitters / receivers being designed irl to transfer power wirelessly at only ~30% loss iirc.
    Ahbahl, Rob Ust and Kainen like this.
  10. Chillyspace422

Chillyspace422 Well-Known Member

SS13 is not 500 years in the future funny enough! It is the year 2053! If you add a note to somebodies sec records that is that year it states it is! BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY WHERE THE FUCK IS METASTATION AT!
  11. Eluxor

Eluxor No one

Uhm, For me SS13 Is in the year 2550, TG source say that and... I use it.. because we got alot of "LORE" in our server...
    Kainen likes this.
  12. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

This is a bad map.

-Too clunky
    -Too many bugs i had to fix
    -Everything is all over the place
    -Maint is huge
    -Cluster
    -Screw this map
    -Ill make my own
    -Its happening
    -Im going to kill metastation
  13. Jayce Wise

Cactus confirmed for angsty, necromancer, little shit. Hurry up and finish the new map it sounds sexy.
  14. Eluxor

Eluxor No one

Yes it does, Like the January 2013 MAP that never happened.
  15. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I don't disapoint.

Believe me when i say, I'm going to personal see metastation replaced.
    Jayce Wise likes this.
  16. Jayce Wise

Being that I am in the skype chat that the people working on the new map are using to coordinate with one another (I forget why I'm even in there, honk), I can tell you with certainty that there is active progress being made on the project. Sure, at times it is slow, at times it is fast, but I consistently see progress updates reported in this chat. This isn't a "oh yeah, we've got people working on it" kind of project. This is a "for fucks sake, I can't take this god damned map anymore. Let's fucking make a map that is fucking tolerable, god DAMN" kind of project. The people working on this are being very thorough and paying close attention to detail, but they are also making sure that they keep their eyes on the goal, and they are actively moving in that directly. I can't say how close it is to done - it could be a day, a week, a month, two months, five months or maybe even longer than that. With that said, if you have to take only one thing away from this rant, I would have you know that this map is going to be finished. And if it isn't finished, trust that I have the resources available to find Cactus and beat him into crit (IRL) with a toolbox. If Cactus, or any of the other people working on the map, have a better idea than I with regards to a timeline for this, then I invite you to share it here, though I understand entirely if it is still too early to give an ETA.
  17. General_Battier

General_Battier LS13 Admin

I like the idea of a new map and looking forward to what it will be. (Why does no one like metastation?)
    Eluxor likes this.
  18. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Clunky? It's pretty much condensed, which is nice.
    I didn't know there were bugs. But it was better than the "improvements" our last map had.
    Maint is just fine, it's not large, it's just that the tunnels reach longer. And the difference from the last map is that here there are hidden rooms that are like tumors in maintenance. Quite a few are pointless and unneeded, but that's no reason to go TIME FOR A NEW MAP.
    Everything is all over the place? What does that even mean? The station has departments, there's no reason to put every department in one spot.
    It may be clustered, but maint allows buffers between a lot of it.

Meta is good right now, but I'd like to see what a new map would look like. And I would rather play on it if it had non singularity engine anyway.
  19. AncientV25

AncientV25 LS13 Admin

i think you're just buttmad
    there is nothing wrong with metastation it is a fun map
    what is wrong with maint being "huge"
    it's a series of long winding tunnels across the station. that's what 'maintenence' is supposed to be. that's its whole purpose. a tunnel to maintain the station.
  20. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

As an example of bugs, when atmos was broken originally i spent an hour trying to identify where the leak was (could not find it) and discovered about 100 orphaned pipe segments and power lines around the map.
    AncientV25 likes this.