Peacoat_Soldier's Admin Application [Closed]

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by Peacoat_Soldier, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacoat_Soldier

Peacoat_Soldier New Member

Basic Information:
    Byond Account: PeacoatSoldier
    Character Name(s): Alex Schmidt, Abraham Pennywise (Rarely)
    AI Name(s): Kernel
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why: Nope, don't plan on it either
    Timezone: Eastern Standard/Daylight
    Active hours: ~3:30 PM to ~1:00 AM

Experience:
    Are you familiar with LS13's rules? There might be one or two specific details, but otherwise I'm fine with them.
    How long have you played SS13? About nine months now, only game I use on BYOND.
    How long have you played LS13? Not sure, no one seems to know either, I'd say at least 3 to 5 months
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics? Quite a bit, I do try to choose a variety of jobs. Only ones that have escaped me are the clown and mime.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13? Not at all.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else? I was once a low-level admin on an IRC RP server.
    If yes, what did you have to do do? Basically just help enforce rules, call in a real admin if stuff got too heated.
    Have you ever worked in a team before? Yes, it went well, I think.
    What are the qualities of a successful team? Alright, communication is key. Communication and being able to discuss things like mature adults. Without that, the team kinda just breaks apart because everyone is yelling at each other over the tiniest things.

Personality:
    Why do you play SS13?: Same reason I played Minecraft, it's an open world where I can do anything. That, and the added bonus of RP, and people is great.
    Why do you play LS13?: Two reasons. 1: This is an amazing community, everyone is so friendly and accepting here. 2: This is the only server I have ever played on that does not lag at all.
    What do administrators do?: They help out everyone on the server, and punish those who feel the need to ruin it for everyone else. Basically just security, keeping it fun for those who follow the rules.
    Why do you want to be an administrator?: I feel like there just aren't any on at all during the afternoon, filling this time gap would help out with anyone who feels the need to stir up trouble.
    What qualities make a good administrator?: Being able to listen, and make sound choices. Not just believing the very first thing heard, but getting it backed up by multiple people.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?: Obvious quality being that you abuse your powers, and use them for your own good, or because of a stupid grudge. Someone who won't listen to anyone else, because "they're always right."
    What are your strengths? I tend to rely on hard info before empty claims, need to talk stuff out before accusing people. That, and I can make some kick-ass banana bread.
    What are your weaknesses? I tend to be a bit quiet, more just to go with the flow than express myself.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses? I've been trying to socialize more, just get out there and talk to people. I do feel this would help out with that a bit.
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: At this point in life, I've just formed it all into a brick wall, and I just don't let insults or stupid things bother me anymore.

Open Response:
    Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?
    First off, I check earlier in the attack logs to see if Player B was attacked by Player A at all, or if Player A deserved this in anyway. If Player B is griefing, I ask both what happened to see what checks out, then either warn Player B, or ban if he's done that multiple times after being warned. If Player A was lying about being griefed (He was confirmed Antag, he tried murdering Player B first) then I'd respond and tell him that Player B was justified in his actions. Getting through the details and smaller points makes it easier to make a better choice for both players.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this?
    I just drop the idea, and stop talking about it. Its obvious that the other admin just doesn't like it at all, and won't be told otherwise. No need to cause any drama over something like that.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server?
    Admins are people who make the game enjoyable. They help out players, and help enforce order that otherwise wouldn't exist. They're the server's rent-a-cops and teachers.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why?
    While both are needed to keep it fun for everyone, I feel rules are more important. They help make sure no one is just going to go out of their way to ruin anything for someone else. That, and it helps give an idea of what principles the community is based on.

Additional Comments:
    Not much else to say really, everything you and I both need can be found about. Unless you need to ask something else, then you can do that below.
    Keone2, DingleFlop, Mabblies and 3 others like this.
  2. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

You have absolutely zero notes at all.... and this isn't because you are new or not as active, you are on a lot. you interact with people and admins and haven't done anything bad really. You certainly know how to behave and reading over your app you genuinely seem like you have interest in supporting the server and keeping the peace.

you have the flavo seal of approval

[​IMG]
    Obadiah Mayland likes this.
  3. I have had lots of good experiences, plus i have very few negative experiences. He is a fairly good player to be around, he has my vote
    Flavo likes this.
  4. SPLEEN MCQUEEN

SPLEEN MCQUEEN Active Member

would you be able to separate yourself from your opinions of someone in the event of an ahelp from or about a person you don't like? because most of my interactions with you (admittedly in game) have involved you telling people what an piece of shit i am with little to know prior interaction that round
    Flat likes this.
  5. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

OOC? IC? context of this? I'm heavily interested in knowing the context behind this.
  6. SPLEEN MCQUEEN

peacoat and i have different play styles, he is very much not a fan of my antics, and if i end up in a fight with someone he is usually one of the people hard lining against me, talking about how shitty / annoying i act, even in rounds where we haven't said one word to each other, nothing new or unique, he's one of five or six of the newer (2015ish onward) regulars to act similarly when ever i fuck around or start fighting someone, just want to make sure he's not going to bring strong premade opinions on people into admin helps
  7. MiziBooBoo

MiziBooBoo Guest

I think it's important to understand that IC interactions and OOC interactions can be very different. IC wise, me and Obadiah Mayland's characters at one point didn't like each other very much, but me and Oba have always gotten along very well OOC. I encourage you to make sure that your IC interactions are just IC interactions, he may not even have an issue with you OOC.
    SPLEEN MCQUEEN likes this.
  8. SPLEEN MCQUEEN

i understand that, and that may very well be what's happening, I don't know him outside of space station, because until last week he more or less didn't exist outside of space station, all i do know is that he has a very consistent very vocal dislike of how i conduct my affairs, but i've had a lot of people hold grudges against me over the years and it makes me a bit wary any time someone instantly takes the other side and starts talking about what i'm like in a round where we haven't said one word to eachother
  9. Peacoat_Soldier

If its just some in game antics, I'm just going to keep it for IC judgement. I don't think it'd be fair to judge a person on actual rules that can get them in trouble because of their persona's actions. Besides, Alex is an unpleasant, untrustful prick. There are only two people he likes IC. He holds grudges and tends to insult people just to make himself feel better.
    SPLEEN MCQUEEN likes this.
  10. SPLEEN MCQUEEN

i guess that's probably just another quirk of our play style differences and me not knowing how people work then, point retracted
  11. Peacoat_Soldier

It's fine man, sorry if it seemed like I had something against you as a person OOC ;;^^
  12. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Very excellent guys. :D
  13. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Genuinely interested if you still have interest in this application and genuine interest if any headmin/seniors are looking?
  14. Peacoat_Soldier

I am still interested, and infact I was recently messaged about it. I am currently up in Michigan with family so I've been kinda dead online.
    Mabblies likes this.
  15. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

You know, I hadn't observed you much before you put in this app but in the months since you have convinced me that you are worthy of holding the mighty banhammer. You have always been quite good at staying neutral in conflict (a skill I unfortunately lack) and this will make you a good administrator in many situations.

Support from me.
  16. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

Howdy, is there still interest in this application?
  17. Peacoat_Soldier

I am. Although I haven't been very active on the server as of late, I have gotten back into SS13 and I do plan on playing more again.
  18. Keone2

Keone2 Active Member

Good Luck on your app. We need more admins to stop the mass grief by Jones.
  19. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

I am closing this app for now as we are currently not accepting applications. Feel free to apply again when the server has picked up again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.