Archived "No-engineers" Power supply for low-pop

Discussion in 'Code Suggestions' started by Flavo, Apr 24, 2015.

?

When no engineers or CEs are found on the manifest, hook up these SMESs automatically?

Poll closed May 1, 2015.
  1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I am willing to do this my self and include it in some upcoming features I'm working but i would like some feedback first.

Upon testing this(see quote post below) was not a good idea to add this room to the powernet as in my tests there was soo much output and so little input needed. The better idea would be to ultimately make the 3 SMESs in engineer start fully charged instead. so that will be the focus of this thread.

[​IMG]

For posterity, the thread pre-edit
  2. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

[​IMG]
    Please no.
    "Thank god! AUTOPOWER! No need to play as engineer then. YES"
    Dont make the game easier please. If you really want to change something power related then make the SMEs in engineering spawn with some more power.
    PistolPete likes this.
  3. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

The point would be it enables when there are no engineers.

lowpop round:
    [CMO]
    [Medical doctor]
    [Sec officer]
    [assistant]
    [cargotech]

kind of thing. running some tests it doesn't really make it "NO ENGINEERS NEEDED" more along the lines of giving the station some juice until engineers show up. On my test with the default settings and nothing changed station lasted 40 minutes
    QuantumWings likes this.
  4. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Running test 2 with 100% charge on both SMESs and output to 80,000 instead of 50,000. will edit my results into this post

EDIT: it doesn't look like the right SMES is being used at all.. ill investigate this as well.

EDIT 2: Looks like during my tests i realized there is a backwards wire in there preventing the 2nd SMES from outputing, fixing and will post results after
  5. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

[​IMG]
    Shouldnt that do it?
  6. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

No its fine, further investigation showed that the issue was infact a backwards wire under the 2nd SMES
  7. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Updated the thread OP with a better idea.
  8. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

I would like this. Hate joining a round late with... 5-7 people and no power... and no one else trying to get power. This gives a longer bit of time.
  9. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

My tests with powering the 3 SMESs at round start lasts around 40 minutes before the station needs to be engine'd
  10. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Add this, this is what causes low-pop rounds to be aborted far too frequently.
    QuantumWings and JPR like this.
  11. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

Only add this when NO engi or CE is present aboard station.

But i have a question.

What happens when an CE/Engi boards mid game can't they just fuck off cause smes last awhile.

Also we could punish the engi staff more but cactus don't like that idea.
  12. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Same thing that happens now, only the shuttle ISN'T required to be called immediately (5-10 min) due to their stunning incompetence?
  13. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Doesnt last that long. they will need to set it up. it just gives a bit more playtime of non-engis
  14. Obadiah Mayland

Obadiah Mayland Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with the others in opposition to this. It feels like it would take some of the flavor our of ss13 to be able to have insta-power in the absence of engineers. There is a spare caps ID. Someone can get on the wiki, figure it out, and do it. We shouldn't promote laziness.
  15. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

oh no, not a free 40 minutes of gameplay before a shuttle on 4 pop in the early mornings where its peaceful and noone feels like hacking there way into the engine.

I play in the early mornings, less adminhelps to shift through, low pop is nice. However if i am a geneticist, playerA is a scientist, and playerB is a CMO, none of us are likely to hack are way to get the spare/hack our way into the engine, we just wanna play.
    QuantumWings and JPR like this.
  16. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

But mah IMAGINARY 2D SPESSMEN IN A SPESSMEN GAME want's to focus on the parts of the SPESSMAN GAME he likes most :(
    That's why I didn't choose someone with the access needed.
    Obadiah Mayland and Sweedle like this.
  17. AncientV25

AncientV25 LS13 Admin

...No?
    The suggestion is for an event that triggers when there are no engineers. This is not to promote 'laziness' or anything similar. This is to allow low population to play a round without being forced to instantly break in and set up the engine lest they have to call the shuttle and restart the round.
    The smes will last forty minutes, this is not -nearly- as much time as you're assuming here.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  18. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

I am aware of how long the smes last 40 mins is still quite a bit of time compared to 5 - 10 mins.

also i was asking about this.

> round starts no engies.
    > Event triggers
    > Engis join and can fuck off for 40 mins.
  19. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

How about you make this true for all rounds.

Instead, without the engineers check. Make the starting power inversely proportional for the amount of people on the station.

With <10 people you will have 90% charged power or better
    10-15 you will have 60%
    15-20 40%
    20-30 25%
    Any higher then it's just the default starting power as it is currently.

My vote can be counted as a Yes if it is done this way.
  20. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

nooooooooope