Closed New Map "LibertyStation" [Paused 4/17/2015]

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Flavo, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Some of you may know I've been working on a new map with Devon/An Inmate. I'll regularly update this with more screenshots, a better overview of the layout and maint... and of course a finished full map when it done. This may take awhile but i am committed to finishing this, unlike previous maps ive worked on

Notes: [As of 3/19/2015]
    -Split into 4 substations (General, Medsci,Commandsec,Engineering)
    -Takes place in a asteroid
    -Utilizes a central Tram loop (choo choo)
    -More info about the trams here: Pete Explains Trams

Additional Input on the design taken from
    -Those in the design chat (Devon,Draden,Flahhh personson, GaySatan)
    -Perseus Members
    -Gamer Chat

Update posts:
    Screenshots of where we currently stand [3/17/15]
    Devon will be taking questions now [3/17/15]
    Back to square one.. sorta [3/18/2015]
    Choo choo all aboard... [3/18/2015]
    Pete Explains Trams [3/18/2015]
    Asteroid Screenshots [3/18/2015]
    Backstory written by Devon [3/18/2015]

EDIT[3/19/2015]: Been updating this OP every day or so the map that appeared in this first post was a miniaturized station smaller then that of box, The layout was not favorable and change has been made completely to try out some other layouts, the current layout is that of a asteroid station with 4 substations connected by a tram subway commute. check out the update posts for more info on the development of our own unique station/theme.

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I'm fond of this map. Flavo put a lot of work into it and given his constant additions to the community, I think it would be nice to run around in something that came from his brain.

Also, Flavo did just about all of the work.

I think with the current evening server population this map would be very beneficial, and it would give people a fresh location to renew interest in the game if they've found themselves losing it :p
    kadingir likes this.
  3. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

For those currently uninvolved or uninformed.

As far as I understand it, this isn't a commit to a new map. This is a side project being worked on and it does not mean this map will be adopted.

However, there is a possibility of this map being used in the future.
  4. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

high res map please or have someone help you do it
    NoFaceMan and QuantumWings like this.
  5. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are looking into making a new map however I personally dislike the layout of this one. I find it hard to imagine it being "fixed" without a complete overhaul.

The idea of separating jobs into sectors is good, but the execution isn't. I think the circled (square) station type layout that meta and box have is best. It creates a nice running flow instead of a series of dead ends.

I like the arrivals being attached to the 'domestic' sector but I do not like the idea of both Arrivals and Escape being on the same side so close to each other. This means all publicly available escape can be cut off with one bomb, even more so with one main hall. This adds to the problem of the layout.

You've also attached Mining to Research when their alternate job is to ship minerals off for points, which is often overlooked. Good idea, but you really need to bring the departments together if you wanna pull that off in my opinion.

Medbay and Security being close to each other is good, however the layouts are confusing to say the least. Having seen a close up of medbay I know the sleepers and cryotubes are oddly placed. I know this is a work in progress but again, I don't really see a way to improve it without a drastic change.

That's what I can gather from both those images. I encourage other to take up mapping and try to make a LLA station, but this one here isn't for me.
  6. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Was very hesitant to do this because its not finished and a lot of rooms are bare/empty and windows/conveyer are off but... just keep that in mind

Top Left
    Bottom Left
    Top Right
    Bottom Right

If windows look off or rooms look empty.. remember work in progress, this is where the map stands though currently.
  7. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

So, uh, where is AI?
  8. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

probably gonna stick out of command on a satalite.
    Ahbahl likes this.
  9. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Swap holodeck and library and I can live happy.

Also the design of the station we use now is silly and doesn't feel right. It's like a broken merry-go-round except the horses are replaced with disappointment. This one seems more fun.
    Tomtoot likes this.
  10. QuantumWings

QuantumWings Well-Known Member

Security looks to large for the warden to monitor and will have holes in the right side in under 5 mins, medical doesn't look much better.
    Domestic wing is sticks out to much and won't get enough traffic.
    Vault is way too defended, put it somewhere more out of the way.
    Is there meant to be an AI on the map? If so where will the upload go.

Overall this map doesn't look any more promising than a rework of meta, box or asteroid staions.

I would probably get stuck into maint if it was even half complete. It doesn't look like there are many spots for routes to go.
    CYBORZ and Flatoftheblade like this.
  11. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

Has maint been designed yet? If so, how would you say it compares to what we currently have?
  12. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

Do not like. Like most of the new maps, it's too RP oriented, and doesn't take game mechanics into account enough. Brig is way too large and too secure. I don't like mining being seperated from cargo. All the useless rooms being stuck together means no one will ever go there exept to die or kill. Station isnt' compact enough, engi is too far away from the rest. Vault is too secure.

What is wrong with our current map anyway?

More importantly, what are you trying to improve from our current map?
    QuantumWings likes this.
  13. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Why? Mining and cargo have almost nothing to do with each other. The only things mining gives to cargo is solid plasma for points, which never happens anyway. Mining benefits R&D much more than it benefits cargo.
    Explain how? We'll never know until it's been played on and tested.
    It'd be equally isolated from everything in our current map if we removed maint, because maint isn't shown in these pictures either. Engi is pretty isolated, and it should be.
    The fuck does anybody use vault for? "Oh no somebody stole all our silver coins and bought all the 3D glasses!" The only thing it's ever used for is the 6000 gold borgs grab for speed.
    Can be answered with:
    Be a more robust warden and we won't have any issues.
    NoFaceMan likes this.
  14. I don't see the point of this and am strongly opposed to experimenting with it when we are actually regularly getting a healthy population now (even beating Yog on occasion) and this will scare off any casual player who understandably doesn't want to learn a server-specific map.

I second Tharinoma in that you should put some effort into selling people on this instead of just offering change for the sake of change (which frankly we've been seeing too much of, too fast...as much as I appreciate new things and don't like stagnancy, I also don't like having to relearn how to play the game on a weekly basis). What is the purpose of this map? How would it be beneficial to adopt?

I appreciate all the work you do for LLA, Cactus, but I believe that you often invest your efforts in the wrong places. Why do we need this? What is the net gain here that offsets everyone having to learn a new map and LLA likely losing players?
  15. Also, this is a bit misleading. Perseus as a group hasn't been involved in the development of this at all aside from you spamming Perseus chat with "What do you think of my map? What else should I do with it?" every now and then. Whatever any specific player who happens to be in Perseus had to contribute is completely incidental.

With respect, I just wouldn't want to see this turn into some "Perseus boys clubbers are making decisions for all of LLA, behind closed doors" kind of mud slinging, so I want to clarify that upfront.
  16. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Fun!
    Can't sell an unfinished product! Which is what this is about, finishing the product.
  17. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

Possibly the worst business tactic ever is to wait until after you have spent your valuable time making a product to find out whether or not it will sell. There's a reason why companies pour millions of dollars into consumer research. If it won't sell, that may influence your decision to make it.
  18. Well, no. My assumption would be that for a project of this scale, there would have been some objective in mind from the outset that justified the work put into it. But this hasn't been properly articulated. Literally no actual reasons for this change were provided other than "small enough for low pop but big enough for high pop," which is quite unconvincing in light of the minimal difference in size compared to box and the rather cogent counterarguments put forward by mind and others.
    Jayce Wise and QuantumWings like this.
  19. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

maint still WIP, most of the maint is just to make room for more maint rather then having no maint at all.

I took input from perseus members which isnt wrong, even if the input was "no new maps" before they even saw it.
  20. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

For the people who support this map: Can you point out anything flawed or a problem, something big other then "Swap holodeck and library"
    For the people who are against this map: Can you point out anything you like or anything that catchs your eye as positive?

In the long run i would like to take the sources direction in a separate, different and fun experience other then being /tg/clone and I'm sure others agree. Do we come to LS13 for tgstation w/ LLA admins? The map is merely a initial step in uniqueifying the source. Not visible from the screenshots i would like to include an alternative method of deliveries, which is why supply comps are visible in most of the areas and many more to come. I may not be good at selling my products because i put more effort into the product then explaining it. I'll make a follow post or devon might of the full gameplan for the map shortly later, but i would like to do other projects after this to improve aspects of the game and gameplay.
    NoFaceMan and Hattrick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.