MetaBox

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flavo, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

If you've logged onto the server recently you will notice that the MOTD has been changed slightly with some news about the server. You might also see this, a custom map coming to the server that is a slightly altered version of BoxStation that wellington has dubbed "MetaBox"
    [​IMG]

I will post a image of the full map in a post below this one. the map's significant changes are
    -APCs have been moved out of maintence and into there departments, this was a issue with boxstation that would nerf the AI and allow assistants to practically grief any department they didn't like.
    -complete re-work of the AI satellite to buff the AI a bit
    -minor rework of maintenance to bring some areas or items that could only be found on metastation here
    -given the chaplain his dumb soul shard and dumb smoke and dumb heart
    -Inspector Johnson and Pugley III return from metastation
    -Added a securitron in the armory like metastation had.

Planned features after launch (DLC if you will)
    -Reworked maintenance and new areas based on player input

What is the goal of all this?
    -While we chip away at a new map we want the players to enjoy a mix/compromise of what they both like about both pre-fab maps.

Release date: 11/10/2014 -Zombie

We are listening. Any questions about this map (anything you would like to see on launch within reason) should be posted below, any questions about Leaf Station should be brought to the development thread here: http://www.llagaming.net/forums/threads/leafstation-development-thread.2880/
    Mindtrixx and WellingtonTheThird like this.
  2. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

3. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

After reviewing that screenshot i noticed the AI's turrets are missing, which... isn't the case. don't worry folks, i guess they just vanished when i took a screenshot.
  4. QuantumWings

QuantumWings Well-Known Member

This is awful. Maint is terrible and has no interesting areas in it and has less routes though it. None of the tunnels go anywhere, it is full of dead ends and rooms that don't contain anything interesting. Medbay is awful, bar is awful.
    Why would you change back to this when only a few people want to? Box is shitty when compared to Meta. I strongly disagree with this decision. I also think the way this decision has been made is suspect.
    IMVader likes this.
  5. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

Suspect of what?
  6. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

This will be fixed with the maintenance update.

Again, we'll work on this with updates.

The poll was a 50/50 split whenever the decision was made to change map so we're combining the two.

DZ made an executive decision on this.
    Legato_frio likes this.
  7. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Because clearly this bar is amazing. Metastation has terrible service areas. Their only redeeming section being the gambling den, if only for the random spawn of Russian revolver. Which is in MetaBox.

Its a fucking maintenance shaft man, not a theme park. Besides it's being worked on.

I really see nothing wrong with medbay, point out some flaws so the mapper can consider them.

Add potted plants
    Eighty8, Flavo and WellingtonTheThird like this.
  8. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I can confirm there are neat things you can find in maint and stuff hidden along the walls. explore. You wont be able to see it from the screenshot (such as the Russian revolver hidden in science maint) but that's what exploration is for.
  9. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for it! When will it be arriving? Can a new camera system be released along with it?
  10. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

November 10th
    That isn't related to mapping nor has it it been touched on, see that thread for more details.
  11. Keyword22

Keyword22 Well-Known Member

Jesus christ, what was wrong with the last map?
    Just tell me a good coherent reason of why the last map was "terrible".
    It was just fine, It was something else, a lot of servers don't use metastation, It was original and Small to fit our small server pop. And this is just plain old BoxStation, It's the same exact layout, just added some maint stuff.
  12. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

I agree with some of this. I haven't seen a good reason as to why metastation is bad yet. Just ranting. And haven't seen a lot of people other than cactus complain about it.
    Why are we making a big change for just one annoyed person?

The same poll that was up for only one day? On a platform like byond that is full of bugs and unreliable? Easily rigged if you want to make multiple accounts? Open to many people who aren't even a part of the community and play only in passing?
    Just how many people voted anyway, and what were the results?
    I didn't even know there was a poll until I just felt like checking in last night. For all I know, cactus probably PM'd all the people who wanted metastation gone to get them to vote and ignore everyone else.

I don't want to go back to the box station design. We had that long enough for years now. Why is there effort being put into this rather than leafstation?
    Legato_frio, IMVader, Eluxor and 5 others like this.
  13. CannibalCrow

CannibalCrow LS13 Admin Staff Member

First part is almost exactly how I feel about the complaints about Metastation. I mean, people are entitled to liking it even for no good reason, but like.. I've yet to see a single reason that makes sense. Though there were more complaints than just Cactus. Regardless, this is sorta just a test, I guess. Personally, I don't think box is awful or anything, and I think it can be up for a couple weeks to see if the response improves.

On the note of effort being put into this and not leafstation, Leafstation is still in the design stages as far as I'm aware. It just took Cactus kinda like..Doodling on this map to improve it a bit. A lot less effort than Leaf takes, no reason not to work on it.

That poll should totally have been up longer though. One day's results are hardly representative.

I also agree that Maintenance on box is about as boring as maintenance could be. Metamaint bestmaint.
    IMVader and QuantumWings like this.
  14. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

The server should cycle between the two maps if this whole thing is about pleasing both sides.

I like meta because of its maint and that it's not the box station layout we had for years.
  15. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

It's almost as if mostly everyone ignored the part where they are expanding maint in metabox.

I don't see how metastation is fit for a small server pop? Our average is around 15-20. The layout is too big for the population we average right now.

I'm completely content with a change especially if the problems with maint are or already have been addressed.

Edit: Saying 20 is an average is really generous since I barely ever see it hitting the 20 mark
    Flavo likes this.
  16. QuantumWings

QuantumWings Well-Known Member

I don't give a flying fuck about the revolver. I care about the layout, rooms, theme as well as the items in them.
    Box can't be fixed, there is no room for anything to go.

A 1 day poll on a system that hardly anyone uses its a terrible way to do anything. Also I don't see 50% of Meta in this and even if I did the golden mean fallacy is a thing.

Don't be silly, DZ isn't real he is only made up to scare small children. If he was real I would have seen him at least once in my time playing here.
  17. Infernus44

Infernus44 Well-Known Member

Unless you count space hobos doing their job in meta maintenance, there is really no difference in department size on both stations, nor the player count. The only thing bigger on meta is maintenance. If you really don't use meta maintenance, while others do, why remove it? Box was up for a very long time, and the design is awful. I honestly don't understand why you think the metastation made people leave, since 75% voted for it.
    Also, where was that pool posted?

[​IMG]
    QuantumWings, Eluxor and CannibalCrow like this.
  18. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

I have a feeling there's a reason to that.
    It's baaaaaad is the reason.
    It's a jackal!
    Eighty8 likes this.
  19. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Hello

This is only phase 1 of a active mapping team. At the moment we have 5 days until the map drops onto the server. In these 5 days i can either read on the forums "Oh my god everything sucks, you suck, he sucks, game is dumb, i dont like this game in general, nothing is good" as per usual posting... or i can be informed what is missing and chip away at it to meet everyone's standards.

"Bar is shit, Medbay is shit" tell me more, maybe a update later down the road will have better of these 2 or we can use that feedback when making leafstation's bar and medbay.

My main focus is getting this map in, gathering feedback and expanding upon maint to make the playing environment fun for everyone
    Points i have heard while speaking to a variety of people
    -Meta layout is big, rooms are big for no reason
    -Meta maint is amazing, so much to find and touch, we love to maintcrawl
    -Box layout is fucking gay because we had it for years
    -Box layout has no maint
    -Box is gay/meta is gay.

While i work on tweaking box to everyone's favor, I have given the leaf station reigns to wellingtonthe3rd who... has the right idea of where the map's direction needs to go. when i finish chopping up at box i will rejoin wellington is getting leafstation flawless.

IN THE MEAN TIME PLEASE PROVIDE WHAT YOU WOULD WANT FROM THIS MAP OTHER THEN "_____ IS SHITAWFUL I HATE IT"
    Eighty8 likes this.
  20. Keyword22

Keyword22 Well-Known Member

This map is shitawful I hate it. /Joke/ or not

If you can replicate what meta does, by making departments closer together, Move the Gravity Generator since that position makes it vulnerable to any assistant that knows how to use a multitool in this game, Vacant Office serves no point in this game replace it with the mime/clown's office, Telescience is wayyy to big because of that firing range no one's gonna use since this is lightRP, replace it with more maint cool stuff. Also Change Dorms to include the Metastation vending machines and lockers. And move the AI satellite closer and connected to science since Engineering has fuck to do with AI's and Robots. And Move Telecomms, too vulnerable.

If you can do this, especially the mime clown's office, I'll be ok to try it out.
    If you refuse to make a mime or even a clown's office, you can go fuck yourself and your map.

If I remember correctly this is a HeavyRP server version of Box that you're editing, that's why shit was put to be more vulnerable since in HeavyRP people don't tend to fuck with them unless really necessary.
    Flavo likes this.