Make Mining Ores Visible

Discussion in 'General' started by TheDracheX, Apr 9, 2015.

?

Do you want mining ores to be visible by default?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2015.
  1. Yes

82.1%
  2. No

17.9%
  1. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

2. Eluxor

Eluxor No one

*Add Mindtrixx rant about how mining is easy*
  3. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

We've been over this a million times.
  4. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

The only good part of Ergomining was the mobs, and even then that had its downsides.
  5. TheDracheX

Yes but this will be the last, hopefully.
  6. Jariahtoadsage

Jariahtoadsage LS13 Admin

Honestly, i prefer the >MINER< challenge of having to scan, hunt, and gather the ores. If we want to implement a way to assist with it perhaps an R&D manufactured "Autoscanner"? Besides, oldmining was a cakewalk. I dont wanna go back.
  7. TheDracheX

Well I've been told no one really wants to go mining anymore because it's a hassle. It seems to me like a cheap way to make mining harder, and considering our server type, it doesn't really make sense to keep it how it is currently. Rounds are way too fragile to spend a ton on time seraching for minerals with some scanner.
  8. Repeatedly spamming the "use" hotkey with a scanner in your hand is not a "challenge." It's a tedious nuisance. It adds nothing whatsoever to mining. Making the ore visible would make mining less tedious, but no less difficult. It's already frustrating when after I bother to gather a nice variety pack of uranium, plasma, gold, silver, diamond and return to the station to hand deliver it to R&D, I find that the scientists are chucklefucks who don't care and won't use any of it, then the shuttle is called immediately. There is literally no reason to need to scan for ore other than to make pointless busy work for miners to make it seem more involved than it actually is.
  9. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Also... ripley's CAN'T be used for mining anymore. You literally CANNOT see the ores.
  10. Jariahtoadsage

Jariahtoadsage LS13 Admin

Youd think there'd be a ripley scanning attachment
    Obadiah Mayland likes this.
  11. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Nah. The mech designed solely for mining is only used to terrorize people as RD :)
  12. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Also... cakewalk is fine. Miners get NOTHING from mining. RESEARCH gets all the benefits (no one knows how to use the point reclaimer :( )
    QuantumWings likes this.
  13. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

So you're saying the peasants toil in the dirt, endangering their very livelihood while the white-clad patricians reap all the benefit?
  14. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Well... if they DID toil, then yes. They DON'T toil, because they get shafted on the deal :)
  15. TheDracheX

This is happening.
    QuantumWings and JPR like this.
  16. Like flat said it doesnt provide anymore challenge to mining it just makes it pretty fucking tedious to have to keep scanning and on a server where the rounds usually go by relatively fast, we dont need anything to make mining take long or longer, id prefer if it was made how it used to be before the scanner.
    QuantumWings and JPR like this.
  17. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

[​IMG]
    JPR likes this.
  18. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I know this is locked and all but there is a massive flaw being overlooked about this. you cant *SEE* the ores because the mesons aren't ghetto NVGs. in order to see the ores you'l need advance mesons, or a ghost player (which is metagaming) other then that get a high contrast monitor.

I mean this can be fixed by making the mesons by default "advanced" but then that takes away the IMMERSIONS of a dark spooky tunnel as seen in previous threads. polls are fine but sometimes people don't know what they want. ultimately i see a follow up thread from this asking about classic mesons or just classic mesons being pushed either way.

(i'm going to unlock the thread because of this)
  19. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I played around earlier using all the tricks i know with mining and the asteroid. With a pair of advance mesons (what would be standard issue if this thread goes through) I was able to make several pressurized tunnels that could be traversed with no EVA, spam clicking mineral scanner while hopped up on hyperzine and equiped with a diamond pickaxe as well as knowledge of what locations are "rare" spots. i was able to zip through and collect all the minerals i needed.

I really don't think you guys want this and if you go with the "Well keep the mesons the way they are just make ores visible" route it wont change a thing because you wont be able to see the ores without high contrast monitors. well i can think of one way.... with the... mineral scanner
  20. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

Enjoyed watching that, particularly the point where diamond drill met gibtonite ore. Boom baby.