LS13's New Rules - Draft 1

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Taicho, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taicho

Taicho Director of LS13 Staff Member

I had been delaying posting these until a new forum section I'd requested had been created, but with delays in that actually happening, a wealth of harassment from our beloved Flavored Cactus and a stream of questions asking when they'd be posted, I have decided to just post them here. This is an unfinished product. Our aim (our being Wellington and I) was to dumb the rules down considerably so they were no longer a 20 page long Terms and Conditions-esque document. Unfortunately, some necessary elaboration resulted in them being slightly more lengthy than intended, but we've made sure it include some key points that prohibit some of the issues that irritate the majority of the community.

These are, of course, the rules that will be improving your playing experience, and naturally, I highly encourage any feedback or suggestions to tweak things around. With any luck we will swiftly have a finished product that improves the environment of the server substantially. Please note, whilst not -everything- might be covered here, further elaboration in what Administrators are encouraged to deal with and punish for will be present in the Code of Conduct that will be posted next.

____________________________________________________________________________________________​

Rule 1.) This is a friendly game environment. You're allowed to be mean or negative IC as a non-antagonist, but we expect some degree of friendliness from you in our OOC channel. Do not flame/troll in OOC chat or Deadchat.
    1.1.) If we believe your IC actions are negatively affecting the server and its players without directly breaking the rules, a term we’ve coined ‘borderline grief’, then administrators may step in and intervene, and bans may be issued based on a number of factors.

Rule 2.) Players are to remain in-character at all times. Do not use OOC terms e.g., smilies, internet-speak, "admins", etc whilst IC. Similarly, do not report IC information, such as antagonists or the gamemode, over the OOC chat.

Rule 3.) Do not randomly murder other people. Self-defence is allowed, but you must follow the stages of progression outlined at the bottom of this page. If there are any questions press F1 and ask an admin for help.
    3.1.) The amount of force used should be in proportion to the threat to your life. IE. if someone throws a PDA at you and whacks you in the head you might push them or hit them a few times in retaliation, but you wouldn't murder someone for it. Do not use more force than what is needed to defend yourself or it will not be considered defending. You may respond to lethal force with lethal force. We understand that sometimes it is difficult to subdue someone through non-lethal means depending on the situation, and understand that sometimes responding with lethal force may be the only solution. Admin intervention in situations like this will be decided on a case-to-case basis.
    3.2.) Confirmed Antagonists are an exception. Killing an antagonist is not against server rules, but it does violate space law and may be dealt with ICly. Antagonists are able to be confirmed as antagonistic when there is no doubt that they are such. Finding a PDA with the syndicate panel open, releasing singularity, randomly assaulting and killing innocents, etc.

Rule 4.) Metagaming is not tolerated. Metagaming is defined as using OOC knowledge whilst IC to gain an advantage. This generally applies primarily to using out-of-game communications to gain IC information or advantage.

Rule 5.) Erotic Roleplay (ERP) is not allowed and never will be.

Rule 6.) Keep your names appropriate. Do not use intentionally offensive names. Use a First Name, Last Name format. (Ace McSpace, Clyde Brink, etc.) Appropriate names are properly capitalized. Clowns/Mimes/Borgs are exempt from the format.

Rule 7.) Malfunction/Insanity is not a valid excuse to "RP" beyond the rules.
    7.1) This applies to Cyborgs particularly. Interpreting your laws in a manner considered to be borderline grief or ‘out-of-character’ for a Cyborg bound by Asimov laws will not be tolerated.

Rule 8.) Nonantagonists are not allowed to aid antagonists unless there is a good IC/RP reason for them doing so. This is falls down to admin discretion.

Rule 9.) Security officers are not allowed to harm criminals or steal items from criminals while processing them. Security Officers, AI, and Head of Staff roles are important to the progress of the station, and as such, abusing these roles in any way may result in a jobban until we believe you capable to act responsibly when playing as them.

Rule 10.) Griefing is not allowed. Griefing is defined as the OOC intention to ruin someone's round with no IC/RP reason for their actions. Borderline grief will not be tolerated.

_______________________________________________ ​
    Stages of Progression
    Verbal stage: You attempt to call security or ask them to leave. If the target is rushing at you with a weapon with obvious intent to hit you (sword, fire extinguisher, etc) or begins shootings this instantly escalates to level 3.

Non-lethal stage: Words have failed. This is a fellow crewmember so you don't want to outright murder them. You're not a sydie, right? Disarming, pushing, disposaling, sleep toxin, punches in moderation(this means like 3 - 5 not lol19punchestothehead, etc. More like trying to score a lucky nutpunch that stuns them.) This kind of behavior is acceptable at this level. If shots are fired, a weapon is prepared for use, or you're getting dangerously injured in some way then the situation instantly escalates to level 3.

Lethal stage: The situation is at its worst. Talking has failed. Attempted removal has failed. It might've been through traitorous actions or a legitimate escalation of a fistfight, but its no bars held now. Kill or be killed. Just be mindful that this obviously doesn't warrant the right to explode yourself to take out an antagonist or any spectacular finish that could risk your crewmembers. And at the end of the fight try to take them to medbay when you get them down. In the point in which they're no longer able to fight back the fight needs to end.
  2. NotWolfTurd

NotWolfTurd Member

first

What about poopy status alteration? (e.g changing someone's UE+UI without consent,forceborging,chloraling the clown and letting the mime rob them)
  3. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

:)
  4. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

The whole gray area/borderline grief one sounds like there will be misinterpretation.
  5. Taicho

[​IMG]

(it should say 'RP reason to perform' don't criticize me it took a while to make)

Most individuals accused of borderline grief, generally, are ones who will consistently do it. As with anything, a warning first to inform them that they ought not to be playing in such a manner, and if it continues, we may start to take action. Misinterpretation shouldn't be a huge problem because someone who does borderline grief will be deterred from doing it, and they'll be aware that this 'walking the line between breaking the rules and not' deal won't be tolerated. Generally speaking, if you 'replaying in a manner that wavers between breaking the rules and not I think it suggests you're quite conscious of what you're doing.

You either break the rules or you don't, but when you're acting just about within the rules, arguably, then you're probably quite aware you're being a complete shithouse.
  6. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

"This generally applies primarily"

So how would self defense escalation apply to a person hurting you, and trying to vandalize their way to get inside a room where you're trying to avoid them? Level 1 has already failed.
    Level 2 has failed when you've tried hit them for the "lucky nut punch stun" and of course trying to do this automatically gives them a reason to attack you even more. So level 3 is easily within bounds since the fight is not going to end.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  7. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

Verbal stage:[...] begins shootings this instantly escalates to level 3.

So you're allowed to kill someone as soon as they try to shoot you with a tazer? o_O
  8. Cody522

Use lethal force to put them into critical, sure. They could stun you and kill you. But of course if you make them lose their taser, which can be easy, you won't really have to use lethal force any more.
    Unless you know they will keep attacking you (which is almost guaranteed when they lose so shamefully) after you stun them and have no way to nonlethally dispose of them; you may have to put them into critical until you can put them in cuffs and stuff.

Lethal force in this game is complicated, because stunning people is a must in trying to hurt others. Then when they're stunned, you're not allowed to use force any more. Or git banned boi
  9. Theodysseygamer

Theodysseygamer Active Member

Rule 6.) Keep your names appropriate. Do not use intentionally offensive names. Use a First Name, Last Name format. (Ace McSpace, Clyde Brink, etc.) Appropriate names are properly capitalized. Clowns/Mimes/Borgs are exempt from the format.
    Wait... We can play roboticists and name them fuckbot mk1 now :)?
  10. NotWolfTurd

NotWolfTurd Member

My usual borg name is buttmaster anyways
    Theodysseygamer likes this.
  11. Taicho

Exempt from the format, not exempt from keeping them appropriate, fucko. >:
  12. Theodysseygamer

Theodysseygamer Active Member

but, but, but how else do i remind the scrubs not to play borgs :(
  13. Cody522

Should say 'use proper names', instead of first name last name format. So I can use

Fat Phil
    Sweaty Saul
    Big Black Richard
    Mr. Cupcake
    etc
  14. Kneeskeysllama

Kneeskeysllama Well-Known Member

I have a question when it comes to rule 3. Say that, you care alot about your pet or something and then some person kicks it and kills it. What is allowable to do?
    Or if you make corgi puppies and one person keeps killing them?
    I just want to know for future scenarios.
    NoFaceMan and QuantumWings like this.
  15. Cody522

You can't kill people for killing your pets. Rob them, arrest them, do whatever else.
    NoFaceMan and WellingtonTheThird like this.
  16. IMVader

IMVader Well-Known Member

One of my characters is called Floor Bot. The name was deemed inappropriate in TG. Will it still be appropriate in here?

Can you give an example of a situation in which a Cyborg would be acting 'out-of-character', but not against the rules or borderline griefing, that would merit an admin intervention?

Can you give examples of good IC/RP reasons for non-antagonists aiding antagonists?

What about officers releasing criminals or "graytiding"?

Can you give examples of good IC/RP reasons for ruining someone's round?
  17. Kirbyroth

Kirbyroth Well-Known Member

helping antag legit reason he has a hostage
  18. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

Yes, I know these questions weren't directed at me, but thought I might as well give my two cents.
  19. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

Shooting lasers and bullets not tazer bolts.

I don't see an issue with it for a borg, but it is a bit odd for a human. It isn't concrete yet whether or not we're going to deem such names inappropriate or not at the moment.

When they start trying to RP out of their laws in a way that could really harm a person's round. Imagine an A.I. bolting down every door and trying to contain everyone because "Humans cause one another harm when they interact with one another so I must keep you all seperate." and it really just disrupts the flow of the round and keeps anyone from getting anything done and ignores laws because "No, I'm preventing human harm." not really against the rules, but making the round to where it isn't fun/unplayable for a vast amount of players. Probably not the best of examples, but you get the idea.

I once aided an antagonist get away from being in custody after he had been caught by security and stripped of his traitor gear. I didn't harm any sec officers just ran in, tazed the people holding him, and dragged him to the mining station. He had saved me earlier from a crazy HoS, ran into gunfire (to shield me from harm that would have killed me), and took down my aggressor when I had not done anything to him. He literally saved my character's life so after he had been stripped of his traitor items I freed him for saving my life. I didn't outright help him murder anyone or anything similar, but repaid a favor while knowing he was practically harmless.

Officers releasing criminals for what exactly? For crimes like murder theft?

Any officers that are grey-tiding won't have access to Security as a job for long I wouldn't think, but we may have different ideas of what "Grey-tiding" is.

For intentionally ruining someone's round just to make someone have a bad day? There is no reason. If you've gotta kill someone as traitor, cause mayhem as a wizard, or nuke the station as syndicate it is part of round progression, but to ruin someone's round I can't think of a good reason to allow this. If you're roleplaying back and forth and some questionable scenarios come forth e.g., you and someone else are in the bar, have a cross exchange of words, it comes to blows, and you evenly fight one another until one falls down and someone runs off then it was an IC escalation. If you push someone until they responds forcefully then you take that as an opportunity to crit them with a fire extinguisher because they hit you then you're just baiting/griefing under the guise of a bad "excuse".

Any other questions?
    Mabblies, Raptorblaze and Flavo like this.
  20. MiziBooBoo

MiziBooBoo Guest

A admin yelled at me me for the first time yesterday about my IC name, why am I just now being yelled at about my IC name after years of playing with him now. I don't wanna have to make a new character after i've already deeply developed him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.