Flavored's 2nd Coder App

Discussion in 'Iconner/Coder Applications (closed/obsolet)' started by Flavo, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

BYOND Name(Key): FlavoredCactus

Past experience?: Ever since my first denial I've been doing what i can to contribute via the open source LLA-station on the git i have contributed the following
    -Re-enabled the commented out deathsquad, ultimately since its been disabled for so long it needed some reworks to work with the current source. i stupidly put it in the wrong section under code/game when it should of been under modules/deathsquad that was my first tackling with the code​
    -When perseus was being ported to this source i helped out by coding in some specific items such as a wall mounted prison transfer procedure, nothing big.​
    -The sexyspaceman update i ported alot of content from current NT/TGstation, although none of it was coded myself i made sure that everything was compatible with this source. overall doing this has helped me understand the codebase a bit better. I know where to put the code rather then my initial fuck up with the deathsquad. i know where to find the code too i get how the modules are organized and where the code is stored for diffrent things.​
    -Seperate from the sexyspaceman update i coded the boxs to allow you to swap the labels on them for better orginzation​
    -currently i'm working on coding a couple new things from scratch, no copy paste from other source such as a mcdonalds style soda fountain and maybe a re-work to the camera system.

Other Languages Known: in my previous app i said i was learning lua however i havent touched it since

How long have you been coding?: ever since my last application, i feel i've improved

Do you consider yourself a relatively competent coder?: I try not to make errors but ultimately my attention to detail isn't that great. I do try to immediately fix any errors i make, i do not slack on that.

If you have never coded (in DreamMaker) before, are you willing to learn?: If there is something i do not understand or do not feel comfortable working on my own with i am willing to learn...

Additional Information: Yes im aware this isn't actually a spot on the application form but i do feel the need to include this. Ultimately i know i wont be able to force my sweet codes on you and non-bugfixs will need to go through a pull request. I would like to help patch up bugs and organize the git with contributor status, the git currently has around 70+ open issues, most of which are untagged, already patched, and unmonitored. i would like to help out with that too. I would also like to start making a guide to contribute to the source which i can probably do without being a LS13 coder but id thought id include that bit of info anyway. I really do want to contribute to keep this project moving forward rather then stagnant. Thanks. (In the event this application is accepted i would like my forum/server rank to remain the same as it is now(LS13 Admin/ForumGuard and Primary Admin). no fancy stuff for me)
    Code:
    420 FUK
  2. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

With regards to code, Cactus is prolific, ambitious, and capable. He has gone from never having seen SS13 code, to understanding it well enough to add original content on his own through sheer force of will over the past few months, and I see no reason to believe that he can't contribute a great deal to our server's content. He has my support for what it's worth.
    Draden Kamikaze and Rocco Ward like this.
  3. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

:(

Lua can be very practical for making a computer games (Love2D) or apps for phones (CoronaSDK). I'm not sure why you quit, but I felt the need to point that out in case you didn't know already. When I was first learning how to code with Lua, I used SS13 BYOND code and Minecraft code as a reference to see how stuff was done. Both were very helpful in teaching me things. Although I will say Lua is definitely beginner friendly, yet that doesn't make the language restricted later on when you become more advanced.

But from my understanding of your app Cactus, it sounds like you've had some experience with BYOND so here are my questions:

• On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate your familiarity with coding with BYOND and why?
    • What lessons have you learned from programming in Lua that will extend to BYOND?
    • How self-taught are you when it comes to learning programming?
    (note - I am not affiliated with LLA's code team, but like admin applications - bystanders give input and ask questions)
    Jayce Wise likes this.
  4. Hattrick

Hattrick Perseus Captain Staff Member

I've worked a fair deal with Cactus. I've known him to be forthright, diligent, productive, and creative. He's also willing to take responsibility for his shortcomings, as we can see in his OP. He's shown he's eager to improve, he's demonstrated growth. While he could fine tune his attention to detail, no one can deny his positive intent, and I consider him an asset to the server.
    Saint Vicious and Jayce Wise like this.
  5. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

I'd like to see some (original) code, created by you if that's possible.
  6. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Ill get back to you in a couple weeks with that. I have plans
  7. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

(I could copy-paste the parts of the bong he contributed. Lel.)

But in all seriousness, me and flavo discussing and occasionally arguing about coding stuff is one of the things that keeps me around.

+1 codeblazes
  8. IMVader

IMVader Well-Known Member

This is relevant to my interests.

+1 support.
  9. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

I have the same feelings as Wise. Full support from my end.