Dwarf Fortress - Attempt Two: THE SUCCESSIONING

Discussion in 'Community Play Dates!' started by Jayce Wise, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Eluxor

Eluxor No one

Best thing in the report.
    Kainen likes this.
  2. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

SOME TIME DURING ALL THIS SHIT JONES DIED AND NOW HAS A PERSONAL MAUSOLEUM

14th Timber - As it turns out, I was mistaken as to their numbers. Somewhat seriously. Whoops.

[​IMG]

16th Timber - All Dwarves assembled outside the fortress for a last stand. They enemy now has two pages of troops, and three four five war dragons. Into the valley of death, strode the 98. Right before battle was joined, one axedwarf gave birth to a baby boy to use as a shield.

[​IMG]

The Dwarven foces impact on the dragons and are sent flying bakcwards, broken limbs and blood staining the ground as those in the second ranks charge.

[​IMG]

The force of dwarves easily outnumbers the dragons and, with few losses, the dragons disappear beneath a mound of punching, biting and kicking dwarves, to emerge dead.

[​IMG]

The Dwarven forces attempt to regroup but fail, leading a strung-out charge against the Goblin forces arrayed against them, to no avail.

[​IMG]

Blood stains the ground around the fortress entrance as the Dwarves are ridled with arrows and bolts, from Goblins mounted on giant Olms and Elk Birds. The ground shall never be sowed with seed again. Attack dogs hold the entrance of the fortress, whilst the original pioneers regroup inside to lead one last charge into the greenskin forces.

[​IMG]

The founders charge, and are met with havoc. The first to die is Chaznoodles Nilgatiz - Hammerfondle, shot in the hand by a copper bolt whilst attempting to punch a Giant Olm, before the Olm closes it's teeth around his neck and tears the artery, leaving him crumpled to bleed to death on the crimson grass and churned mud.
    The next to die is Odyssey Nisgakablel - Frostybutts, charged by a Giant Olm as a silver arrow rips through his stomach. Without a chance, he is knocked to the floor by the Olm and peppered with arrows and bolts, before one mercifully ends his life, taking a path through his skull.
    The third to die is LeHonque Rosatolon - Chapelgears, shot in the leg by a silver arrow and falling to his knees. As he attempts to stand to continue the fight, another Giant Olm closes it's jaws around his skull, but the valiant Stockmaster punches it in the head, before being shaken about and arteries torn open. Still fighting to his last breath, bleeding profusely, he punches again and again, before being filled with arrows, and a merciful end is brought by an iron bow brought down on his skull.
    Rocco Necikonul is the next to die, being shot in the back by a foul Greenskin archer whilst locked in mortal combat with a Giant Olm, falling to his knees and being executed by a Goblin Bowman.
    Fifth to enter the halls of the dead is Our Almighty Founder, Wise Tosedas, finding a worthy opponent in a Giant Olm, locking his teeth around it's throat before being dislodged, beating it to within an inch of it's life without taking a hit, before the Giant Olm becomes enraged, ripping a toe away. A Goblin Bowman joins the fray, but the Founder blocks each attack with his bare hands, the ed lines left down his palms by the blade. Another approaches from behind and dishonourably kicks the Founder in the left lower leg, shattering the bone and making him fall to his knees, before stamping down on his right hand with a loud crunch as the bone fragments. Still, Wise fights on, standing before being knocked down and giving in to pain. The Bowgoblin jams the tip of it's bow through his eye socket, finishing him, before unceremoniously rolling his body into the ditch.
    Spades Regsakzul - Glovedtrumpetsfalls beside his Founder-brother, the last pioneer to fall, duelling the Olm which tried to take the Founder's life. Momentarily distracted by grief witnessing his lord's death, he is rammed over by the Olm, before the same Bowgoblin stamps on his skull and pushes bone fragments into his brain, before pushing the corpse into the moat. The legendary shield falls with him, into the churned mud and blood.

And so, the Goblins begin to clean up. I sit at my desk and pen this last note.

[​IMG]

But suddenly, from his desk where he had been moping, the Captain of the Guard emerges, axeblade gleaming in the light as he cleaves a Goblin from head to foot. Seeing one of the last survivors in this rage, the goblins fall back in disarray, disappearing from sight. The siege is ended, but at what cost?

5th Moonstone - An unexpected end! The besiegers are repelled, the Captain of the Guard delivering the finishing blow to a goblin, the rest fleeing in terror. The military is disbanded temporarily until it can be resorted. 25 dwarves remain, excluding children, mostly seriously injured. Resorting of all positions needed.

[​IMG]

5th Moonstone - A Gem Cutter takes a fell mood, claiming a tanner's workshop, slaughtering one of the remaining dwarves and starting a construction!

14th Moonstone - The construction is finished!

[​IMG]

20th Moonstone - A spinner gives birth to a baby boy, and a farmer to a girl. The fortress shall rise again.

5th Opal - Another birth, from a miner.

10th Opal - Lots of tantrums. Everyone who tantrums heads to the tombs, and stares at Jones' grave. This seems to make them happier, as they soon return to work. The Surgeon is running around babbling.

15th Opal - Surgeon died of thirst. Seven of the remaining 24 dwarves are hospitalised.

[​IMG]

20th Opal - Blacksmith gave birth to a boy.

24th Opal - Chief Medical Dwarf died of thirst whilst tantruming.

18th Obsidian - Two dwarves stricken by melancholy. Around three dwarves caring for everyone hurt.

1st Granite - And so, spring has arrived.

And so, Spring has came, and i lay down my quill and stare at these runes. My hands shake with the death I have witnessed. Victory came, but at what cost? The population is in ruins and blood runs like rivers between the trees.

As I gaze for the last time upon the runes I have writ,
    The candle burns out which hath always been lit,
    And so in the last of my days I shall ride
    To the Mountainhome, to tell the story,
    Of those who stood side by side.

All finished! I'll get the save up in a moment, if someone can use it to update the map!
    Eluxor likes this.
  3. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Damn you got most of the fortress killed?

So when is my turn up?
  4. Chaznoodles

5. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

Wow. hahahha. Sounds like you got smacked with a lot Chaz. Those goblins man... knew there had to be more! Might I recommend to the next overseer to activate the drawbridge with the survivors inside as safety? (and get some fuckin archers trained)

So the question remains: Is this the end, or can the next overseer restore the fortress to it's glory?!?
    Eluxor likes this.
  6. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

I am proud to have met my end with my worthy kin by my side
  7. Cody522

Yeah, don't throw unequiped civilians at sieging goblins. Sort of plain and very inefficient fighting
    Eluxor likes this.
  8. Cody522

I'll fix shit, all though with this latest turn, it will probably ruin the next person's year as they will be forced to deal with a fortress falling apart.
    Eluxor likes this.
  9. Jayce Wise

I was going to take the next one I think because the turn list got fucked up. I have a few grand plans to solve our current issues, however if you wanted to take your turn next Cody, I figure that'd be ok.
  10. Cody522

All right I'll do the next turn.
  11. Jayce Wise

Ok, let us know when you get started!
  12. Cody522

I'm starting it now, could someone explain to me all of these levers and what they do?
  13. Cody522

1st Granite, 114, Early Spring.

I've finally arrived at the colony of Templemountain, where I am to now oversee and guide for the foreseeable future. I was told that all of the first dwarves and past overseers have been killed tragically and the upcoming colony is in dire need of new management.
    From the angle I first approached the walls, I was first mistaken that previous overseers made the entrance out of corpses, blood, and bones for some grotesque fashion, as there was a large pile of bodies outside. Unfortunately I will have designate a dwarf to spend the rest of his days hauling these bodies elsewhere.

As I enter the fortress I've noticed the farms are a long walk away from the main food stockpiles. This may be a problem in a fortress with few haulers. Secondly, the chief medical dwarf himself is out of business and needs diagnosis. There was also a need for official roadways to be set and places that needed to be restricted to help improve work efficiency.

Two dwarves are now dedicated to food hauling.
    Uzol Dudodak will be our temporary Super-Doctor, she told me upon this decision, "But I don't know how to be a doctor!". I told her to deal with it and I made a threat about a later UNSPEAKABLE(tm) project concerning her son.
    Sigun Zuntireth will be our only person working burial duty now. You should have seen her face when I told her she will be spending the rest of her life dragging all the bodies around here. Priceless.
    Now it's time to build a many coffins and dig out a new burial area.

After 5 seconds of deep analysis I decided our defenses were absolutely shit. I summoned what was left of our task force and they are now going to build a walled courtyard. Then a long tunnel that will be the only entrance to the fortress in the event of a siege to put ballistaes in and bottleneck any future invaders.
    [​IMG]

I decided the ballista room will also be dedicated to the fortress founders
    [​IMG]

17th of Granite
    Our mayor became pissed that his production order wasn't finished and punched The Master Graver in the head which killed her immediately. The mayor has now claimed the title of Master Graver until he is no longer needed and I will send him to the UNSPEAKABLE (tm) project

25th of Granite
    Two fishermen died from thirst apparently, even though we have a large stockpile of booze.
    Migrants arrive, around 9 useful dwarves that will help rebuild this hole.

27th of Felsite
    An elven caravan arrived, they didn't tell us about the 120 goblins that were behind them either. For shortly after we were beseiged, but the courtyard was done in time, one miner was stuck outside and is probably dead by now...

[​IMG]

An interesting predicament came up, for I thought floodgates were invincible to the enemy. Turns out cave dragons can destroy them. They are on the bridge currently trying to get through. I'll try to pull a lever and see what happens. If they get through, they will have to contend with the elven caravan to get to the rest of the fortress.

[​IMG]

1st of Hematite
    None of the levers did anything, the bridge wouldn't budge. The monsters are now spiraling down the shaft having complete access to the fortress. Now I'm thinking to myself... did a person deliberately built such a defense flaw? To have one large stairwell that allows immediate access to all of the fortress?

Nothing could have been done, the cave dragon mounts the goblins had tore through the elves and any dwarf in their way. This is the end.

There are only two survivors who are "resting" in their rooms and will most likely die of thirst soon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28th of Hematite
    The very last dwarf... the mayor that killed our first Master Graver. The dwarf I wanted to die a horrible death, is slowly dying in his bed.

[​IMG]

29th of Hematite
    I have my supplies packed and now I'm ready to flee to the caverns, most of the goblins and cave dragons have left the main corridors allowing me to get to the lower levels. I believe I have a better chance of surviving down there than facing the 120 goblins on the surface.
    As I make these last engravings on this wall, let all know, Dostngop Hextube the goblin general who attacked us, shall be killed!

[​IMG]

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8378
    Eluxor, Jayce Wise and Rocco Ward like this.
  14. Cody522

UPDATE!

By the way, my UNSPEAKABLE (tm) project was going to be a long shaft with many iron spikes at the bottom. I was going to send the 30 useless dwarf children down there to conserve food.
  15. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

Wow.... just wow.

:oops:
  16. Cody522

Too bad the drawbridge couldn't have been drawn. I barely got to summer without being overrun.
  17. zt107

zt107 Well-Known Member

This is the way the fortress ends,
    Not with a bang but with a whimper.
  18. Kainen

Kainen Fabulous-min

JFC LeHonque was robust.

Maybe we can go back to a previous save and see how Jayce can fix this abominable mess of a fortress. It can be an ~ALTERNATE UNIVERSE~
  19. Eluxor

Eluxor No one

We need a dwarf called Robusdalf and let him stay at the gates of our fortress saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" IN THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE.
  20. Chaznoodles

Suddenly Cave Dragons