[Denied] Soup or Man's Admin App?

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by Soup or Man?, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

Basic Information:

Byond Account: Soup_or_Man
    Character Name(s): Taylor Vasquez
    AI Name(s): No!
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why: Nope.
    Timezone: Mountain Standard Time (-07:00 GMT)
    Active hours: Sporadically anywhere between 12:01 PM and 12:01 AM, primarily around 3:00 to 6:00 PM.

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules?
    Yeah.
    How long have you played SS13?
    2 years?
    How long have you played LS13?
    2 years? I started here...
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics?
    How do you even measure that? I'm fairly experienced with the way the game works and can play almost any position adequately, is that a good answer? I can't really measure the amount of things I don't know.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13?
    No.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else?
    I used to administrate a HL2RP server and that was an awful experience. I also administrate a gaming community's TeamSpeak.
    If yes, what did you have to do do?
    On the HL2RP server I was primarily responsible for finding people who failed to RP in a satisfactory manner and giving them advice on how to improve and getting rid of trolls.
    In the TeamSpeak I was responsible for getting rid of people that spammed microphones, moving them, creating and updating channels, sorting aforementioned channels, giving temp bans to rowdy guys, taking power away from drunk admins. I ban people who have proven that they have no place in the community through unsavory actions (begging for games, trolling, making people uncomfortable). I let people know when friendly teasing has become a damaging fight and separate parties when absolutely necessary. I'm daddy.
    Have you ever worked in a team before?
    I was once a Cadet First Sergeant in the US Army JROTC program in high school. Among other less impressive things.
    What are the qualities of a successful team?
    Strong leadership, making an example of model behavior, making sure everyone knows their contributions are appreciate. But above all of these things COMMUNICATION BETWEEN TEAMMATES. A team that doesn't communicate is just useless.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?: Cute pixel art, complex game mechanics, rogue-like elements (I'm a rogue nut), a community balanced somewhere between raging psychopaths and geniuses, pop-culture references, SPESS, my girlfriend enjoys it, what's not to love?
    Why do you play LS13?: The people of LS13 are particularly interesting, I've gotten to know them and they make for a fairly interesting SS13 experience. The station is full of people that are in-character, but stuff can actually happen at a pace that doesn't make me get bored and kill myself before the round is over (most times). The amount of variation between what each regular station member values makes for a really intimate feeling that you genuinely have an idea of what different people on the station want. Characters like the Plaid always want to cause a small amount of mischief while characters like Mel Gar will kill an entire station if they're allowed to. The variation of each character's robustness also changes the way you may approach taking on a traitor round as well. The overall way that the community interacts with each other is just... endearing. Not too long ago my girlfriend did an art trade with one of the other members. Things around here are just... Nice.
    What do administrators do?: Administrators ensure that the members of LS13 don't wrong each other through actions such as griefing, bullying, flame wars or any other actions that would not be good for the community.
    Why do you want to be an administrator?: I want to help sort of grievances between other players and ensure that the community only changes for the better and prevent a degradation that would see the community grow bitter and turn on itself. I hope to join the team of people that make LS13 one of my favorite stations and perhaps hold more weight promoting change in the vein of what we've managed so far, the advent of tablets and our asteroid redesign alone are some steps in what could be the next large variation of SS13, separate from /tg/ if it continues. I also hope to enforce the ideals of community's positive attitude it currently has and to help judge cases of wrong-doing.
    What qualities make a good administrator?: Swag. Also, a neutral position on handling disputes. A keen eye for where a problem could arise (Traitors seem a little too cooperative and trusting? Keep an eye out for meta.) A firm but fair resolution to issues (punish without resorting to bans, usually a stern talking-to is just fine in many cases). An approachable demeanor, I've seen admins use high-end vocabulary words completely wrong just to seem superior.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?: Having your head up your own ass, thinking yourself superior to the non-admin plebeians, being a bitch to people when you're having a bad day, corruption.
    What are your strengths? I'm extremely good at handling people in a way that is no condescending, but still firm. I let people know that I'm here to help and that I'm a player just like them. I realize many people get their ass handed to them during a round and it feels shitty even when no rules were broken. When it comes to harsh punishments I never give them in a bitter way, I'm always as cordial as possible and am sure to let people know what they stand accused of and how to avoid having any conflict in the future. I am fair.
    What are your weaknesses? I can be quick to consider severe punishments.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses? When I am faced with the option of a jobban or even a permaban I never act alone, I always present the case to peers to hear their opinion and am quick to admit when I see I've acted too hastily.
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: As a player? I give shit back and then some. As an admin I've always been quick to remove myself from a situation. I never respond to an insult and if I feel I'm too stressed or angry to play Space Station, I've NEVER been afraid to close the game when shit gets tough. After a few rounds of getting caught as ling? I'm always ready to quit the game instead of screaming in OOC. Space Station has always been about stressful situations, to get mad at it for fulfilling its purpose would be silly.
  2. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?
    Use my scary bloop sound to speak with Player B, ask him why he's done this. Here his case, check his antag status. If he's not antag and I don't like his reasoning, I warn him and ask him politely to clone Player A. Write a note on his file thingy.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this?
    Call him an asshole and storm off. Ask why they oppose the idea so hard. Try to argue my logic one more time after I hear their side and try to dispel their concerns. Ask other admin's opinions. In the end if it doesn't get passed you just have to deal with the sad feels. C'est la vie.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server?
    To be not an asshole. To calmly hear a lot of peoples' complaints about other players and try to keep people coming back to the server. Because you like them and you think they should stay on the server because it's really cool. And they're cool.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why?
    Principles. Just because someone breaks a rule doesn't really mean that they're to be condemned. Sometimes people just don't realize that the admins are people too and they they like playing the game just like them. A lot of times people just need to know that they're being watched and that you think they should clean up their act a little bit so everyone on the station can have fun with them and they can have a better time that contributes to everyone else's good time. Sometimes people break rules just because they don't really know the consequences of what they're doing to other people's rounds. It's just better off to treat people like human beings and not just get rid of them forever when they're actually really good for your community.

Additional Comments: Flavo asked me a long time ago to make an application and I didn't feel that I was ready to take on that kind of power on the station for whatever reason, but as I've been talking with people like Kegsey and my girlfriend, I've realized that maybe playing daddy for the station for a while might be good for me.

Post so big it needed 2 parts, extra credt, pl0x?
  3. You have seemed like a cool guy in my experience but I am somewhat concerned about the Vasquez metafamily and how this may affect your ability to admin objectively. What would you say to someone skeptical of giving you admin powers for that reason?
  4. Kegsey

Kegsey LS13 Admin

Will definitely be keeping my eye on you, I'm not going to let us being friends interfere with your application, I will judge you like any other of the runts that have trialed.
  5. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

What is this meta-family you keep going on about? It's an IC family and it's just for shits and giggles, yeah I have real life relationships with these people and they all understand that they're playing a game and the shit I do in the game is not personal because it's a game. I'm not half the hot-head Taylor Vasquez. And being an admin would only weaken the Vasquez family seeing as how I'd never play a vital station role with knowledge of all antags and what-not. I have enough integrity as a person to stay unbiased. Although I see your concern, I assure you my strength of character is stronger than a little bit of gaming-related butt-hurt.
    NoFaceMan likes this.
  6. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

Calm down on the aggression, dude. Being an admin means you gotta handle stressful situations and be able to handle criticism.
  7. Kegsey

Kegsey LS13 Admin

I don't quite see how his post was meant to be aggressive, to me it just looked like he was giving his input.
    Ridiamo and NoFaceMan like this.
  8. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I asked if you were interested after watching consistent rounds of you and others getting along and generally everyone involved being sweet, respectful, and mellow. This level of activity and respect would greatly benefit the team which at the time was small until the arrival of kegsey and draden.... With that being said

How you phrase what you say is important, in responses you should try using positive/neutral words. Avoid swears, i know this isn't high school but swearing does lower the quality of what your saying.

"These people are my real life friends but i consider myself strong enough to stay unbiased in these situations" for example.
    IMVader and Agent1667 like this.
  9. Plaid

Plaid LS13 Admin

Since I'm a Vasquez on the station myself, I'll put in a few words about "meta-family". It's a valid concern when you see people running around with the same last name and you know they all hang out in a Teamspeak together; you're going to be concerned about meta-gaming and if they're swapping station info or the like, and that's completely understandable! I'm not gonna lie and say we were the perfect Space Station family in the beginning, cause we weren't. We swapped locations and stuff like that, but once we actually became friends with admins such as Flavo and Kegsey and realized how this could negatively affect others in the round, we quit it cold turkey a few months back. We reside in a Teamspeak mainly due to location and time differences; it's the only way we can really all talk to each other smoothly and efficiently without phone static or bills racking up.

For anyone concerned about metafamily, I'd welcome them to the TS to see what we really talk about while we're all in Space Station. It usually doesn't concern the game itself; conversation ranges from real-life events to books to links we find funny. It's completely harmless, and while suspicions are understandable, they are no longer valid in my mind.

On another note, Taylor just has a personality where he can come off as aggressive when he's not mad at all. Very excitable and passionate with his words, yes, but not angry unless he has a reason to be. However, Tay, if you're going to be an admin, you will have to tone down the swears. Don't want to upset someone who's already stressed at being killed for no reason.

Pros of your application are that you're very straight-forward; I'd consider fleshing it out a bit more myself, but that's just because I like reading. Cons are this; you say you're no stranger to closing the game when going gets tough. What about a situation where someone continues to hound you about a simple problem they find ridiculous, and you're the only admin online?
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  10. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Like i said above, It's likely how hes saying it that it gets interpreted as aggressive, certainly something to work on
  11. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

If I came off as aggressive, I apologize and none of those swears were used in an attacking sense. If it made it sound dumb, that was the point, the stuff we do in TS is generally dumb links and what-not. Any rage you could gleam off of this is unfounded, I assure you. The only aggressive sentence I see there is the very first and that's because Flatoftheblade has also commented in a rather aggressive fashion on my Perseus application. Apologies for any amount of aggression that was perceived.

In response to Plaid, if someone continues to hound me about a simple problem, that would not stress me, I'd tell them that it's being handled and that further harassment won't change any way the case is handled. But I see what you're saying. As far as me being mad and logging off, if it comes to that point, it'd still be better to be absent than vindictive. Keep in mind it would take a lot to get me to that point.
  12. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

You applied for perseus, i almost forgot about that, haven't really seen you play as security, how dedicated to the perc app would you say you are and how does it effect this app?
  13. O-oh no drad3n I see... I want to support this, but I really dont see much of you in ooc, most I see of you is in IC so I cant really judge how you are.

However I actually read your application (I HATE READING APPS) and I like it for the most part, but are you ready to be an admin? It's stressing and can burn you out.
    Also alot of information flies by unless you have a one tab selected, do you feel you could ignore all the information you receive IC?
    Plaid likes this.
  14. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

I'm not entirely dedicated to Perc app, I just wanted to give Perseus a shot, really. I figured it'd be a great way to play in a passive way until shit really hit the fan. If anything, it'd be good for being an admin because you could just hang out on the Perseus ship and sift through complaints.

Yeah, I can ignore all the information I receive IC, like I said, if I played while I had admin on, I wouldn't play anything vital. I'd be an assistant in maintenance tunnels most likely. I do this a lot anyways. I'm more than ready to be an admin and if you read the application, you'd see that I didn't sign up immediately because I didn't feel as if I was ready. Now I am, I can sort IC information relatively easy anyways, in my application you'll also find that I've been an administrator for an RP server before. I know how to sift through logs.
  15. I don't see any big reasons to not give you a shot then. +1
  16. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Tough question: Lets say... plaid goes on a murder spree for fun because she was having a bad day and kills like half the pop, you are the only admin. what do you do and why?
  17. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

First of all, I'm extremely impressed and proud. Is she antag? If not I'd be forced to temporarily ban her until I could get hold of the other admins and discuss a more permanent answer. But seriously, how on earth does she manage that? We all know how robust she is.
  18. TheJuicyFruit

TheJuicyFruit Well-Known Member

You'd temp ban her immediately, no questioning, no explaining of why it's wrong, and wait for another admin to perma her? Also I don't feel like you're taking this very seriously... maybe it's just me though.
    NoFaceMan, Flavo and Agent1667 like this.
  19. Soup or Man?

Soup or Man? New Member

Of course I'd question her and all that. But she knows damn well the rules of the station and that would be evident by her admin-notes. She's been reprimanded for things like this before. And I'm sorry if you don't feel like I'm taking this seriously, because I don't think being an admin is about having a stick up your ass, I believe being an admin is about upholding the principles of the community and last I checked, being really clinical and soulless is not a principle any Space Station 13 community should pride itself on. The position of admin should not be taken lightly, but it should certainly not get in the way of being friendly. You're picking at minutiae and details that are all things that should be given. Of course I'm going to have a chat.

Also, if you don't mind my saying, your wording can definitely be interpreted as an attack. I simply don't feel that you have the right to attack me.
  20. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I didn't see it as an attack, I see that as a valid criticism. As an admin, you'll need to be able to handle criticism that is much worse than this.
    IMVader and AnalLoveIsBest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.