[Denied] Kadingir's trial administrator research application

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by kadingir, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

Basic Information:

Byond Account: Kadingir
    Character Name(s): Kadingir Xul
    AI Name(s): Xul
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why: No.
    Timezone: GMT +10
    Active hours: Fairly random due to insomnia often completely changing my sleeping schedule, but currently anywhere between 8am and 9pm.

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules? Fairly familiar, if there is something that I do not know about the rules I try to learn it.
    How long have you played SS13? Two years.
    How long have you played LS13? Two years.
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics? A decent amount.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13? Yes, I was an administrator for around four months.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else? I have been an administrator in several different communities.
    If yes, what did you have to do do? In all of them the primary directive was to assist players with any issues that might come up, I have also organised and assisted with events in one community, and helped with the rules, goals, and general running of the community in another.
    Have you ever worked in a team before? Yes, though I am hoping to improve my skills in that area.
    What are the qualities of a successful team? Communication and a directed goal.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?: Despite the game being pretty painful at times I enjoy the game mechanics, along with that I have never played any other game that is quite like it, it has a lot of potential.
    Why do you play LS13?: After figuring out basic movement and a few other minor things like how to build and destroy a wall on a sandbox server I decided to move to LS13 because it was not a sandbox server and for several weeks around when I first joined it had less than 5 players on whenever I played, over time I slowly grew to like the game more and as more players started playing on the server I also started to enjoy their company, at the time the admins felt pretty distant during my first week or two on LS13, but as more players came more admins came, and they were extremely friendly, it all combined to make me love the community.
    What do administrators do?: They do a ton of things, but I think the main points are that they do their best to help players enjoy being a part of LLA/LS13 and work together with other admins to further the goals of LLA.
    Why do you want to be an administrator?: I enjoy being able to help players in more ways than a non administrator is able to, being in the thick of the administrator business is also pretty cool as what I want most of all is to help LLA and if I can help do that by working with other administrators than becoming an administrator is the way to go.
    What qualities make a good administrator?: Teamwork, communication, tolerance, and dedication.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?: And inability to listen to others, being too fast to anger, and a lack of respect for fellow administrators and players.
    What are your strengths? I am dedicated to helping LLA, straightforward, and willing to learn from my and others mistakes.
    What are your weaknesses? I can be a bit too blunt, I can come across as rude when I do not mean to be, and sometimes I become a different person.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses? By listening to my mates and trying to pay attention to my own actions/words.
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I have been insulted a lot in my life, so I have largely grown immune to insults, along with generally being a fairly relaxed if intense person, the way I handle it if I do become stressed, angry, or am insulted is the same way that I handle my weaknesses that I listed above, by paying attention to myself and listening to others advice.

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action? I hide and aghost, I also check the attack logs including times to see if it was self defence, I also check to see if either player is an antag, I then ask Player A about what happened, if that does not clear it up I move on to Player B, if Player B turns out to be a griefer with no remorse I put them into the centcom prison and if they have a history of such things in their notes I may ban them for the appropriate amount of time and inform Player A that it has been dealt with, if they show remorse and do not have a large history of putting people into crit without a good reason I will likely just ask them to heal Player A if needed, or revive Player A myself I they are already dead and not being cloned, if they are being cloned I may revive them while in the pod to remove their cloning issues, after that I will finish talking to Player B I will give them a note for the incident and inform Player A that it has been dealt with.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this? An extremely difficult question for me, I handle it by trying to see their side of the argument to hopefully figure out who is right, if they are right I will drop it, if I am right I will try to convince them to see it from my point of view, mostly though I will rely on the teamwork of the group of fellow administrators who will be with us to help us figure out the best course of action.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server? For me it means being able to help the community that I am a part of in a more effective way than I am currently able to.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why? Principles, rules are based on the principles of those who make rules, more than that, rules force people to do things that they do not want to do, principles help people do the things that they know are right.

Additional Comments: I know that after my last application I am unlikely to be made a trialmin, this application is mostly to see what I still need to change about myself along with how much I still have to prove to fix the damage that I have done.
    If you are interested in what caused me to act the way I did in my last application and in the minutes before I stopped being an admin a year ago take a look at my current status, it is not an excuse, and I am not using it as a reason, but it does affect me strongly and I consider it to be one of my weaknesses that I am hopefully able to deal with like the rest.

For helping me be able to make this application I have the players and admins of LLA to thank, if you guys did not help me change I would not have been able to allow myself to do this.
    NoFaceMan likes this.
  2. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Please expand more on your statements below, taken from the shoutbox.

1. Today at 3:56 AM - Cody522:
      damn you notes :(
    2. Today at 4:05 AM - NoFaceMan:
      ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
    3. Today at 6:16 AM - kadingir:
      Hue notes.
    4. Today at 6:17 AM - kadingir:
      Considering that some of them contain false information.
    IMVader and NoFaceMan like this.
  3. I frequently see you refer to "corruption" among the LLA staff in deadchat and OOC. Why would you want to be on a team that you have that perception of?
    Mabblies, IMVader and Raptorblaze like this.
  4. NoFaceMan

NoFaceMan Guest

“If you can't beat them. Join them” - Jim Henson
    Tomtoot likes this.
  5. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

I don't remember saying that today.
  6. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

We must be in different time zones, I just copy-pasta'd it out of the shoutbox.
  7. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

I may have over spoken when i said "some", though if there is proof of one maybe there are others that i do not know of.
    [​IMG]

I do not consider the admin team to be "corrupt", furthermore once draden asked me to stop with my... jokes, i stopped as best as i could, though he has had to remind me once or twice, i have made a lot of progress, my odd sense of humour is not to everyones liking, i have come to terms with that.
    Draden Kamikaze likes this.
  8. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, I remember you complaining in deadchat to Draden and Kegsey(?) about how the admin team is corrupt, and it went into pretty deep discussion over that. I don't see how that had anything to do with your sense of humor, because you seemed completely serious and would not back down. Didn't seem like a joke to me, and I'm the type of person that thinks anything can be funny.

You have strong opinions, which would be good, but they are negative towards the admins.

Do you think that your strong opinions and jokes will cause problems with the other admins, should you become an admin yourself?
    IMVader likes this.
  9. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

Any seemingly deep words about corruption in the admin team from me was likely just the result of memories of the past, draden also talked to me about that and convinced me that the things that were are no longer, i have given those feelings from the past up and now have positive opinions about the admins, and the jokes really have largely stopped, i feel that it would be a good thing for LLA, the admins, and myself, if i were to be given another chance, as a trialmin, if i turn out to be unsuitable for the role no harm done and i will know what i still need to change, however if i turn out to be suitable for the role, that can only be good for LLA, a win win situation.
    Draden Kamikaze likes this.
  10. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I like this answer. It isn't a cop out, and you appear to be completely honest and follow up to what I vaguely remember from that deadchat.
    Draden Kamikaze and kadingir like this.
  11. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

You do seem to care about things relating to the server but you really have a large inability to differentiate between serious and trolling. The trolling is often counter productive and makes you look malicious. I cannot support an application at this time.
  12. IMVader

IMVader Well-Known Member

You made me fail as stealth ling by bolting shuttle brig shut (non intentionally), and as the round ended you shared this:

Crap Bucket 5k states, "HEU"
    Crap Bucket 5k states, "HUE"
    Crap Bucket 5k states, "LYDIA"
    Crap Bucket 5k states, "YOU MUST BE PISSED"
    Crap Bucket 5k states, "THAT IS FUNNY"
    Crap Bucket 5k states, "AS FUCK"

Seems like OoC intent to make others pissed followed by trolling. While it may break no rules it certainly doesn't scream "admin candidate" to me.
    Cody522 likes this.
  13. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

It had not been my intention to make you fail, as i had no idea that you were a ling and was merely trying to contain a criminal, or to piss you off, i was not trolling you and i had no OOC intentions, when i play silicon i am sometimes rude, it is one of the few times when i can manage to RP at all, even if i am not very good at it, i am sorry if you were offended by me, i will try to be a better silicon.
  14. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

In the title, it states "research." Could you explain what that means?
  15. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

I do not expect to be given another chance, so the "research" in the title is to show that i am trying to become better by learning, maybe i should have just left it out, but i felt it to be important that people understand that i do not go into this with high expectations, i know what i have done to wrong LLA and i have been slowly fixing as many of those issues as i can, if am i denied i will have more things to work on, and if i am somehow not denied i may be able to learn faster and more effectively as a trialmin, i am far from perfect.
    NoFaceMan likes this.
  16. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it's not a factor in hiring, as a lot of admins have super dick characters anyway, or are toxic towards security.
    AquaDraco, NoFaceMan and kadingir like this.
  17. IMVader

IMVader Well-Known Member

This was after the round ended, after seeing me succeeding all objectives but the escape one by being in brig. It was an OoC commentary.
    I don't mind dickish characters. What I'm questioning here is the OoC stance.
  18. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

Going off of memory, you also failed your absorb objective by one, not that that matters much.
    I really am terrible at RP, i used OOC information IC'ly, though it was after the round ended, i will keep this in mind in future to try to avoid this happening again.
  19. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

Always been rather fond of you as a player right back from the days where you played Virologist every day and I Chemist, Kad. You're a good member of the community but I don't think putting you back in the saddle would be a good idea. I've witnessed instances where you outright flame decisions from administrators, and although it's great to voice your opinions and thoughts, that kind of malicious attitude is not something we're looking for in a new team member.
    Mindtrixx likes this.
  20. kadingir

kadingir The Guide

Those were some fun rounds.

Have you seen me flaming administrator decisions over the last week or two?
    If you have i would like to know since i do not remember it happening in that time period and need the information if i am to stop it from happening again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.