[Denied] Ahbahl's Third Admin Application

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by Ahbahl, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

Basic Information:

Byond Account: Ahbahl
    Character Name(s): Abel Drevis
    AI Name(s): D.U.D.E.
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why: Never
    Timezone: GMT+1
    Active hours: Varies

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules? Lets say I've read them very often.
    How long have you played SS13? No idea. I started playing maybe 1 or 2 months before I joined LLA.
    How long have you played LS13? My first note is from august 2013. Thats probably accurate.
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics? Almost everything. I fixed stuff others said is unfixable.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13? No, but I have a very rough idea of some of the commands.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else? Yes, I was a moderator on a very popular minecraft server network.
    If yes, what did you have to do do? Help with general problems, ban bug abusers, reduce server lag, test new stuff. Things like that.
    Have you ever worked in a team before? Yes, the aforementioned minecraft community had quite many moderators/admins.
    What are the qualities of a successful team? Good communication, workload distribution.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?: Because of the (almost) endless possibilities. Every round is different.
    Why do you play LS13?: Good community, good staff. I like it here.
    What do administrators do?: Making sure the rules are followed, answering ahelps, fucking around at CentComm
    Why do you want to be an administrator?: Admin apps are open, I want to help the community out and I sometimes play when no admins are present so I'd like to fill that hole.
    What qualities make a good administrator?: Being helpful, being polite, staying calm.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?: Being a dick, using admin powers to make the round more "fun" (I'd say a good prayer is an exception if it doesn't go overboard).
    What are your strengths?: I am very reasonable and I am quite creative. You should also try to make me angry.
    What are your weaknesses?: Sometimes I get distracted, I can get pretty stubborn and I get these "grandiose" "fun" ideas when I am tired.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses?: While I don't really overcome them I try to keep them in check. Especially with the "fun" ideas. Now I have this filter so I always ask myself "How will this affect the round of others?".
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I don't care about insults, its almost impossible to anger me and if I am stressed I would remove myself from the situation for a bit to cool down. If I cant do that then I would handle it probably like this.

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?
    First I'd check if Player B is an antagonist, who attacked first and the notes of both players. Depending of the results my course of action would range from a "Legit" to a temporary ban. Basically the same I said in my second app.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this?
    The same as in my second app too. I would try to throw in some good arguments and if the fellow administrator is still against it I would either accept it or try to get another administrator involved. In the end of the day it's just an idea. Maybe I would be a bit disappointed by I doubt I would get angry.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server?
    Forgive me the uncreativeness, but I think it pretty much fits.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why?
    Principles. While rules certainly are important I feel that they aren't flexible enough. Each situation should be looked at differently. Principles are more broadly applicable which, in my eyes, is a good thing.

Additional Comments:
    My first app
    My second app
    My notes
  2. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I've noticed something with you ahbahl. You seem to show up, apply for admin, get denied, play for a bit and then vanish without a trace for months and repeat. I'd like to know why this is. Other then that I've had good experiences with you in the past.
  3. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

Partly due to the disappointment of the denied application, partly due to other games catching my interest and partly due to me having to move quite often because of real life issues. I do understand your concern and I am glad you brought this up as I was having trouble wording this and didn't quite know where to put it in my application. However, while I do think this might affect me should I get accepted, I am almost certain that I could dedicate atleast 1 hour per day to LS13.
  4. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Will you vanish again if denied?
  5. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

Hue, no.
  6. AncientV25

AncientV25 LS13 Admin

What popular minecraft network?
  7. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

MineYourMind
  8. PepsiBlueFan

PepsiBlueFan Active Member

I find it interesting that P.A.L.A.D.I.N law set is what you think being an administrator is all about. Because you know how they brutally treat those rule breakers once they catch them. Can you explain why you have the PALADIN law set to represent what being an administrator is all about? Do you feel admins are like an A.I with the PALADIN module?
  9. Ahbahl

Ahbahl Active Member

"Help those in need." and "Never willingly commit an evil act.": I think those two are the most important. If you dont want to help the playerbase and just want to spawn shit, ban everyone or send them to admin prison for no reason then being an administrator here is clearly not an option. "Respect legitimate authority.": This is more of a "when to give up". If you have an especially complicated case and you really dont know what to do then ask some with more knowledge than you. If you are in an argument with someone else then respect his opinion. "Act with honor.": Dont be a dick, as an administrator you arent representing yourself, you are representing the community. This comes with a great responsibility. All of your actions should be carefully planned. "Punish those who harm or threaten innocents.": This is a bit harder to explain. I had a discussion about the word "punish" in one of my other applications. "Punishing" is not what an administrator is supposed to do. An administrator is supposed to "guide" and "teach" other players. However, sometimes , if the subject is a repeated offender and is either unwilling or unable to learn through words alone, a "punishment" is unavoidable. When I read the word "paladin" what I think of is not someone specialized in offense but rather defense.
    Of course not. Everyone has their own personality and ideals. But I do think that administrators have qualities which resemble some of the PALADIN laws.
  10. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

The application isn't bad nor are your answers, but you need to work on your presence in the community. Don't be disappointed just stick around and let us get to know you better on the server and around the forums.
    Ahbahl and Jayce Wise like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.