CYBORZ's 3rd Peseus Application [Cadeted]

Discussion in 'Perseus PMC Applications' started by CYBORZ, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Link to old application. - http://llagaming.net/forums/threads/cyborzs-2nd-perseus-app-closed.2791/
    The reasoning why I'm re-re-applying is because I have the time to actually play as security; I didn't before on my 2nd App. Since I'm back, I'll be on more frequently. I play usually around 3-6pm EST -(Sometimes later on/for longer) .
    P.S. I mis-spelt Perseus in my title, woops?

BYOND KEY: CYBORZ
    IC NAME: Dominik Solubat
    PICK THREE THREE DIGIT NUMBERS THAT YOU LIKE (EXAMPLE: 079, 009, 356): 097, 032, 171
    HAVE YOU EVER USED A DIFFERENT BYOND KEY ON ONE OF OUR SERVERS, AND IF SO, WHAT WAS IT AND WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT? - (THIS QUESTION ADDED BY HATTRICK): Never.
    HAVE YOU EVER BEEN BANNED FROM OUR SERVER? EXPLAIN: Once I believe, I don't recall what for but that's about it.
    HOW LONG HAVE YOU PLAYED SS13?: Almost 2 and half, or even 3 years.
    WHAT DOES HAVING AUTHORITY MEAN TO YOU?: A set of rules to ensure safety of others, run something as efficient/smooth as possible and assist those in need; usually as a position/role.
    HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAY SECURITY?: Maybe once or twice a day, depends if I get chosen at round start or I chose to be it.
    OH A SCALE OF ONE TO TEN HOW WOULD YOU RATE YOURSELF WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING A NORMAL SECURITY OFFICER? EXPLAIN: Around a 7 (Maybe 6 depending on how people view me). Reasoning behind my opinion is because I've worked hard to achieve the assets I now own (Knowledge of Spacelaw, decision making, communication and teamwork - if I have a partner...).
    HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE XENOMORPHS?: Being an alien, I love it. Being hunted by an alien, "3/10 -Would not bang" - I hate it.
    WHAT IS THE ROLE OF SECURITY ON THE STATION?: Enforcing the law amongst criminals and the station itself, protecting crew members from any sort of danger, and assisting/serving those in need + the ones you work with.
    ANSWER THESE HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION AS HONESTLY AS YOU CAN ASSUMING YOU WERE PLAYING AS SECURITY, HOW YOU WOULD HANDLE IT:
    *You are walking down a corridor of the station when you see a clown slip someone on a banana and pull their jump suit off and laugh, how would you handle this*: I'd ask both sides (The clown and that someone else) their stories and what happened when I arrive upon the conflict. If it simply was a joke (the role of the clown) the intent was merely for entertainment and I'll slip it by and I'd ask the clown to don't do it again (giving a warning) and return his gear (or I'd return his gear). If it happens again or continuously prolongs I'd arrest the clown sadly for pick pocket (2 minutes or maybe even 1 minute if he cooperates).
    *You are sitting in the bar having a light drink during a break when you hear someone yell about a xenomorph in the library. You run there and find an alien eating the librarian, what do you do?*: I'd communicate with security at first stating I'm going to the scene. If I can confirm there's an alien I'd call for back-up with the necessity of lethal-force against the creature and attempt to find a way to save the librarian (unless its too late). Otherwise, I'd contain the alien and prevent any further harm to crew members till help arrivals.
    *You are standing in security and you see the head of security being especially rough with a prisoner in a cell, what would you do?*: Give the HoS advice to handle the situation properly, ask the HoS to stop being so harsh on the prisoner and or handle the prisoner myself (for a newbie could be playing and might not know). If any further incompetence from the HoS happens I'd request a demotion of the HoS and possibly detain him depending on the current scenario (i.e. He pulls a gun out, I'd defend myself or, he continues to ignore me and be harsh, I'd still detain him).
    ARE YOU CURRENTLY AN ADMIN, AND IF NOT-MIGHT YOU BE INTERESTED IN ADMINSHIP IN THE FUTURE?: Undecided, for now no.
    GIVE US ONE HONEST SITUATION WHERE YOU WERE PLAYING AS SECURITY AND DID SOMETHING MEMORABLE: Make the hard decision to, or not to Perma a "supposed" misbehaving janitor. What happened was, I say the Janitor carrying riot armor and wearing a Energy gun + Albative vest. As I go to question him, he says he's running an errand I ended up asking him comply or I'd shoot (for he's armed and dangerous potentially). With the help of Perseus (for they were next to me) they assisted me on detaining him and we went to the brig. I ask for the full story behind the reasoning of having so many firearms (3 e-guns I think) and the Albative vest. Once he told his story where the HoS "Supposedly" gave him the weaponry I looked back at his intent (where he wasn't harmful and he didn't shoot me when I saw and asked him the questions where he clearly had the chance to take me done). I ended up taking all the contraband (Albative + guns) and brigging him for 5 minutes (with the exception of not counting the albative vest because an incompetent HoS gave it to him) and later on setting the timer 1 minute less for his cooperation.
    CAKE OR PIE? EXPLAIN IN AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE: Pie. I had pie for Christmas and other celebrations more than I had cake present and, cake is meh sometimes.
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  2. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

Could you please copy your previous application at the least?
  3. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

I've seen you play sec and I liked what I saw. Edit your original post with a new, real application. I don't think it matters if some of the answers look like the older ones, just rewrite it.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  4. Now that I've actually seen you play sec I can say that you appear competent and show promise. I'll keep a further eye out for you.
  5. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Means a lot, thank you so far anyways; third time is the charm I hope.
    P.S. I merged the two comments if you're wondering why it's gone.
  6. torquey

torquey Member

So I've had a bit of experience with his character during a very...hectic round.

I had been detained for having weapons that I really shouldn't have(was given them by a very incompetent HoS)...

Dominick had planned on permabrigging me for having several eguns, an ablative vest, and the HoP's ID, a reasonable thing to do considering the charges...

But instead of jumping straight to throwing me in perma. He attempted to actually figure out what had happened after listening to my explanation. He attempted to contact the Hos who had no interest in responding...he also spoke to the warden, trying to figure out if I was in fact telling the truth. After almost ten minutes of getting no answers, he took what I had told him into consideration and instead of perma, I was given a 5 minute sentence. During the entire exchange Dominick was professional, rational and level headed.

He would've been completely justified in put me in perma based on what he knew, but decided to go a few steps further in an attempt to find out exactly what happened, even if it bore little fruit.

TL;DR: Dominick is a competent player who actually puts in the effort to get things done properly. I'd give him a solid 8.5/10...especially considering how normal sec tends to be.

He has my support.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  7. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

And a link to the first application.

What have you improved on since your first application?
  8. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Since I got denied on my first application, I was given advice by players and admins on how to play and well, be better at security so here's the list basically:
    Starting off on my first and major problem from my first application was my understanding of Space Law -I misused some charges and slabbed it onto players and I didn't completely follow brig procedures. I played as Lawyer every since till my second application and even from then continued to my third. Playing as lawyer I spectated/wrote on paper -in game- space law (brig procedures, use of lethal and the crimes itself) from memory till I actually got to know it by hard.

My second problem was my communication amongst my fellow security team and the criminals/prisoners which were detain/being brought in. For use of the security channel, I improved talking to my staff by speaking more formally, often, constantly checking in and reporting suspicious activity/bringing in a criminal till I got into the routine. I used my knowledge of negotiation and decision-making to speak with prisoners calmly as well as professionally to solve cases and or make them a "friend", not enemy so it doesn't make security look bad and start a riot/mutiny. An addition on top of all this, I started using more verbal commands instead of hurting/tazing them immediately.

My third problem likely had to be my professionalism. Ever since I joined LLA and played as security I randomly screamed and or said weird stuff like "Fuck my ass" when I fell or even better, accusing a prisoner and calling him an "asshole". When my 2nd application closed I started to improve on the current skills I had and especially professionalism where I finally got the hang of doing (i.e. Every time I join and or play as sec the first thing I say is, "Officer Solubat reporting in assigned to {department}." and much more after so and throughout the shift).

The 3 problems I listed were probably my biggest problems but, I did work on other stuff like, intent (harmful, peaceful and purpose of committing the crime which can determine he/she/convict guilty or innocent), being goodcurity (taking off or adding a minute to a prisoner based on their behaviour), decision-making (in certain scenario's making quick "good" choices and measures such as helping a down security officer instead of chasing the armed criminal and not going/chasing someone into a teleporter or maintence alone).
  9. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

I like the response. I'll keep a closer eye on you.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  10. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

Good response. I too shall be watching.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  11. Stingray540

Stingray540 LS13 Admin

Just seen a round with some good communication from you in sec channel. Keep it up and you will have my support soon enough
  12. Bluebreez100

Bluebreez100 Member

Dominik, I often wonder why you and Lydia didn't apply for Perseus sooner. Now that you have, all I have to do is get Lydia too. You are a great security officer and very competent. You're not shit, which is honestly becoming a rarity. You have my full support.
  13. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Thanks to all, it means a lot and is greatly appreciated!
  14. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

I've played a few rounds with you, as officer, warden and crewmember. I've also observed you.

The only issue I have with you is your OOC behavior. To put it bluntly, during the time I didn't know what your IC name was, CYBORZ was associated with "stupid, dick, flaming, toxic and ass" in my mind. I don't have any specific examples of this, and I might simply have misunderstood you and kept a bad image of you.
    What I saw from you in OOC and on the forums from you recently was nowhere that bad, but I did hear people saying you have trouble with accepting criticism or you get pissed of and irrationnal pretty fast. From my point of view, you've been improving but still need to.

On the other hand, what I saw makes me think you are a very good officer. I've seen you communicate with the security team very well, deal with crew-security relations very well, remove or improve bad security a few times and follow directives from competant command members. You have a good knowledge of space law and don't hesitate to check or double check appropriate sentence with both your team and the book.
    I haven't seen you brig prisoners much, so I won't say anything about that, but you generally know when to arrest or let go a crewmember guuilty of minor crimes.

So right now, you have my +support.
    Don't be a dick outside the game.
    CYBORZ and Flatoftheblade like this.
  15. Tharimona is right. You're really impressing with your sec play. You are clearly robust, have good communication all around, know how to deal with people, and put effort into your investigations (as torquey mentioned...that one was actually caught on one of snow's videos and you did everything possible to investigate the suspect's claims instead of just dumping him in perma for having capital theft items).

But...I share his perception of your OOC behavior. To be as forthright as possible, before I actually saw you play security (which wasn't until this third application), my opinion was "this guy is a jackass and there is no way I'll be supporting him." I was very surprised to be blown away by your sec play and find you not only highly competent but even pleasant IC. I think it's great that you totally proved my preconceptions about how you would play wrong. But you still are coming across consistently rather salty in deadchat and OOC. Example: in deadchat you were ranting about how Kate Smollett was shitsec in your view and how you were going to oppose her application, when you didn't have all the details and were mistaken about what transpired (I won't get into details to avoid cluttering up the app, but I was playing detective and both myself and the HoS player saw everything that happened and fully agree that Kate did nothing wrong). What I find interesting is that you are great at not making assumptions or pretending to know things you don't when you are performing an investigation IC, yet you assumed the worst of another player without context OOC.

I sympathize because I have also been (rightfully) told I tend to be great IC but an asshole OOC. Just something to work on. But yeah, I've seen enough from you that unless you majorly screw up somehow you have my support at this point.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  16. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

As far as I've seen, your Security behaviour is very well done. You're communicative, you know how to work both alone and in a team, and you always seem to have a handle on the majority of things. I'd be happy enough to support this, asking a minor favour that you tone down the OOC behaviour. It's a little unbefitting for Perseus, seeing as we get enough flak as it is for saying 'Hello'.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  17. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Noted, I'll keep that in mind and thank you for your insight and suggestion (also to those who commented before).
    Chaznoodles likes this.
  18. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

I Apologize for this inconvenient news. I'll be unavailable to play as security and more specifically, SS13 for who knows when as of today (I'm going on leave for a while due to school and family) and the decision with me and Perseus may or may not have to rely on what currently has been seen/talked about.
  19. Hattrick

Hattrick Perseus Captain Staff Member

Cyborz, please get word to me when you return and ask us to reopen this application.
  20. Hattrick

Hattrick Perseus Captain Staff Member

Welcome back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.