CyborgMedley's Perseus Application [Closed]

Discussion in 'Perseus PMC Applications' started by ProbablyBaron, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

Personal opinion, once your locked in as an important job like that, you should never opt out. It is an important role, and you are evaluated on how you play when Security.
    ProbablyBaron likes this.
  2. People can go braindead or get a job change. Sometimes RNG doesn't work out the way you intended. Nobody is obligated to play. How you decided to relinquish your role matters though.

I agree that there are circumstances where such things can be taken to the level where they qualify as dickish (such as one admin on this server who regularly takes the HoP slot, hands his ID to random people and gibs himself at round start), but quitting as a sec officer, in general, is fine.
  3. Right so...I agree with you on some things. I like having you as part of the LLA community, on the server and forums. But I still oppose this app, and this is troubling me (emphasis added to the following quotes by me):

- February 8th: "I wanted to start playing sec, but now I personally don't want to ever touch it because if I arrest somebody for anything there's always the "IC reason" to cuff me, beat me into crit, and loot my body. What am I supposed to do when I get the chance to arrest them for that? Put them back into brig for 10 minutes so they can do it again later with the excuse of 'they brigged me again! for ten minutes! IC escalation!'" (http://llagaming.net/forums/threads...rixx-and-mulder-munrow.3590/page-2#post-53628)

- February 12th: Perseus application submitted (days after saying you wanted to start playing the role but were reluctant). "HOW OFTEN DO YOU PLAY SECURITY?: Lately I've been playing it like an addict." (http://llagaming.net/forums/threads/cyborgmedleys-perseus-application.3653/)

- February 18th: "I was extremely put off of playing Sec until I saw it being changed into something more... accessible" (http://llagaming.net/forums/threads/new-security-systems-sechud-autorecord-updating.3694/#post-55186)

Now, both before and after becoming Perseus I tried to fight any "boys club" mentality about Perseus. However it is still a white-listed position for players of demonstrated competence and reliability. I'm wondering how you can go from acknowledging that you hadn't really played security, to applying for a white listed security-related role in a matter of days. I also find your answer to the "how often do you play security" question highly misleading. And your post today basically acknowledges that you never played security until it was buffed, so I don't think that the play that we have seen from you (which was rough around the edges, as expected from a rookie to the roles) is a fair comparison to applicants from the past or current applicants with longstanding applications. Honestly I find this application a little bit presumptuous given the overall context of the situation.

I find it distasteful that we have longstanding players who play exclusively security roles for months, do a competent job of it, and get largely ignored, while this application got some attention immediately in spite of you having put in hardly any play time in security. That is more an indictment of the application process than yourself. However I would like to hear why you felt that you were ready for Perseus seemingly immediately after you started trying your hand at security.
  4. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Quoting myself here because I've said it before and it seems like it's once again relevant!

I wouldn't know about this since I'm just some no-good party-pooping greenhorn who waltzed in clicked their heels together and thought "I'm gonna say Fuck You! to all those longstanding players who play exclusively security roles for months, do a competent job of it, and get largely ignored by applying to a white-listed organization of ol' boys."

Anyways, since Flat seems to be intensely against my application I'm just going to withdraw it. So consider it withdrawn and lock the thread.
  5. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Being able to take feedback and adapt to it is a big important part of perseus.

Somebody kicks you in the chest you get up you dont walk right back into it you go around it. apologies that i cannot find the source of whatever this came from but its important to listen to http://airospace.bandcamp.com/track/dont-give-up-interlude

I'm disappointed to see you get hit once and decide to quit.
  6. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend you keep the app open and take the criticism in stride. Quitting isn't grand behavior in response to a single person's criticism, this does not paint an acceptable image of you.

Regardless of what you believe, there is support for you here in this thread and outside of it. I suggest disregarding the undertones of elitism that might be present and focus solely on the personal critique and not the over arching application process critique.

I hope you reconsider, Thanks.
    Flavo likes this.
  7. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

When the only feedback I'm getting is "You have to play longer!" there's nothing I can do. Obviously I haven't played enough to be Perseus material. I said I'm withdrawing my application in order to get more time under my belt and apply again when I've reached my unannounced vague time threshold. I'll apply when I've played the game longer, so Flat can finally rest in peace.

EDIT: I'll reconsider completely withdrawing it and give my response to whether I'll keep it open or not sometime later.
    AquaDraco likes this.
  8. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Its good to be consistent with your words, if you say your going to do something you should stick with it and if its something you don't wanna stick with it you should consider thinking things over before making the decision. Making hasty decisions only hurts yourself.
  9. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

The last I'll say on this is as follows; Flat does not represent every aspect of Perseus' values and neither do any sole enforcer. Perseus is composed of many different ideals focusing into a dynamic cluster of security goodness. There is no predetermined amount of time you have to play before you can apply or get accepted.

As FlavoredCactus said hasty decisions only hurt you, but we can also accept a mistake being made here. I would of loved to see Hattrick's decision on this app but if this is how you feel.

Good luck.
  10. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

I don't think it's a mistake to withdraw it completely or consider putting it on hold as an alternative. It's my decision and I'm going to stick with it. I don't consider it "giving up" if I still am trying for it, but if an entry Requirement is more playtime then I'll have to get more playtime, right? And that isn't something that can be learned or given to me, I have to make it myself. SO that's what I'm going to do. Get more playtime. I'm not saying to stop supporting me or my application, I'm not saying I don't want your support, I'm just saying that I'll need your support later because now doesn't seem to be the time for it.
    Mindtrixx likes this.
  11. I do look forward to playing more sec with you and hope to see play that will convince me to support you down the road, for what it's worth (which probably isn't a lot).
  12. Hattrick

Hattrick Perseus Captain Staff Member

You may not have meant this as a “We should up our game in terms of getting apps sorted” kind of thing, or maybe you did.

But *I* think we should up our game in terms of getting apps sorted. It stinks that potentially well suited applicants languish.

On the one hand we want to be sure we’re getting people of the right character and attitude, and we want to be careful to make the right call on the first shot, in part because we are reluctant to remove people who aren’t working out. And when someone isn’t working out that can really damage the team; an unprofessional attitude can be singled out blown up, and it gives new folks cause for concern about interacting with us.

On the other hand, potentially fun, active, diligent enforcers can lose a little enthusiasm when they have to wait 5ever on their application. So we really need to strike a balance.

It seems strange to me that you’re taking yourself out of the running based on Flat’s criticisms, especially when you have the full endorsement of an officer like Wellington. Further, there is no specific time requirement for the job. If people want time to observe you, you can give them that, if you like. If people think a little more practice at the gig would hone you into a sharper instrument, that may be valid input.

[quote="ProbablyBaron, post: 55212, member: 908" if an entry Requirement is more playtime then I'll have to get more playtime, right? [/quote]

I’m aware of no such… “Requirement”

I’m glad that as a newer participant in our community, you’ve taken an interest in the role of Perseus. Part of the gig is to provide a service to the LS13 playerbase, and your eagerness to volunteer reflects well on you. I’m sorry the application process and some of the feedback you’ve received have discouraged you.

Take as much or as little time as you like. When you’re ready for further consideration, we will review this application provided that you:

1) Get word to me that you would like this application reopened - do not start a new application, even/especially with a new key, and,
    2) Once this thread is reopened, do not edit or remove any posts that you’ve made before it was locked.

If either of these directions are unclear, please ask for clarification before you proceed; adherence to these instructions will impact your eligibility for consideration.
  13. Hattrick

Hattrick Perseus Captain Staff Member

Reopened at applicant's request.
    Mindtrixx and ProbablyBaron like this.
  14. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Thanks!
    Mindtrixx likes this.
  15. Hi Baron,

I've had fun playing with you over the past weeks. We'll be keeping an eye on you.

I do have a question for you. You have become one of the most prominent boosters of Perseus on LLA who is not a current member of Perseus. Your kind words are certainly appreciated. However I would like to know what things about Perseus you *don't* like and what changes/improvements you would like to see happen with Perseus. Thanks.
    Hattrick and General_Battier like this.
  16. Obadiah Mayland

Obadiah Mayland Well-Known Member

From the times I have encountered Baron in a security position, I must admit she has always been quite collected, and able in doing her job. I have not seen any case so far hence, that she has unjustly abused any one via her power as an officer. I believe Baron would make a good addition to the Perseus team, so for the time being she has got a +1 from me! Keep up the good work Baron! :)
  17. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

I'll be keeping an eye on you, I have terrible memory and can't personally remember anything either way with you. Good luck!
    ProbablyBaron likes this.
  18. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

• No blue crayons on Perseus ship? Blasphemers.
    • Perseus members don't talk to crewmembers when they board. I always try to supply them with valuable information and they give no responses to me. There were changelings and Perseus had boarded, I had previously found a changelings hideout in maint botany and found tablets and clothing which allowed me to determine who the changelings might be/turn into. I had told the Perseus members and showed them my evidence and they simply shifted around and then ran off without saying a word. I understand they're busy people who're trying to stop changelings and can't trust just everybody who gives them information but it'd be nice to get some acknowledgement from them now and then.
    • Perseus also doesn't communicate well with Heads or Security while they're on the Mycenae. They don't necessarily tell us if they're able to board or take prisoners, and it's hard to get accurate responses on how many prisoners they have and such. The most common thing to come out of a Perseus mouth is "Perseus services are available." or "Perseus services are on stand by." I really feel like there's a lack of information to Security from Perseus.
    • TL;DR - Most Perseus members lack information in their communication towards non-Perseus members, and that's bad.
    Other than that I haven't noticed anything that could be changed or improved.
  19. LeJack

LeJack Active Member

I'll start by saying I think you're a great officer and I enjoy working with you.

About a month ago, I was the only officer during a particularly chaotic ling round. More than half of the crew had been transformed into Kegseys. I responded to a call for help in science maint where I found you, dragging a cuffed Kegsey. I detained you, and 3 other people showed up on the scene, at which point I was also transformed into a kegsey. With some help from the crew I got you and the kegsey you were dragging back to interrogation, where I found several IEDs on you. You stated your intent to blow up the kegsey several times, and after questioning the witnesses I was aware of, It was clear to me there was no solid evidence pointing at anyone. Judging off of how combative you were, I felt you would immediately attempt to murder the kegsey again upon release. Based on that, the explosives, and your admitting to, what I had to view as, attempted murder, I decided to permanently detain you. At this point you said, and I'm paraphrasing "You're a terrible officer, and I don't see why everyone likes you".

My question is, if our roles were reversed in that situation, how would you have proceeded?
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  20. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

First off, I'm extremely sorry for the harsh words and I hope your feelings were not hurt. I have no excuse for the things I said. Please forgive me.

I do not quite remember that round in detail and am not comfortable judging the situation with the information given, as some crucial information is gained from simply playing the round and experiencing everything. I would have to trust your judgement on the situation and agree with the path you chose, except I would have put tracking implants in the person to be released and further secured the permabrigged prisoners cell by welding the vent before processing them. The vehement voice of a single person, no matter how misguided you may think they are, can still hold some truths. (And it did, because at the end of the round he turned out to be a Changeling.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.