CyborgMedley's Perseus Application [Closed]

Discussion in 'Perseus PMC Applications' started by ProbablyBaron, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

I never said it was or wasn't. Focus on what it showed me.

Also we have a chat for this, keep it there.
  2. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Am I the only one aboard the Mycenae? Is there somebody of a higher position to talk to? Is the Mime's gear on the Mycenae or on the station? I'd like a few more details before giving my answer.
  3. Mindtrixx

Recruits can't be soloperc, so say you have an enforcer with you however he wants you to make the calls.

Mime was brigged on Mycenae so all his items are on the ship.
  4. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

I've played many rounds of Security with CyborgMedley and they're a good officer. They follow Space Law, they give prisoners a chance to explain themselves, and they're a capable officer able to hold their own when things start getting hectic without losing their cool.

"I WellingtonTheThird SPONSOR CyborgMedley , AND HEREBY TAKE PARTIAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM ACTING AS PERSEUS ENFORCERS, IN THE EVENT THAT THEY ARE HIRED."
  5. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

I'd give them the mask, nothing more. I don't trust hats, also gloves can be recolored to be insulated.
  6. Mindtrixx

Not really the answer I was looking for, I'll explain:

Beret is just a beret, it doesn't have any other function. Completely a cosmetic item.

Mime mask, acts as a breath mask. Makes them somewhat space ready and also obscures their identity.

Gloves, can be colored yes. Also can be used to use shards of glass so they don't cut your hand. However you don't seem to know you can shift click and examine them to find out if their colors are "dodgy" or not. Dodgy meaning colored, otherwise they are safe.

I'll be watching some more.
  7. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

I didn't know a mime mask acted as a breath mask, I'll keep that in mind from now on. I also thought that glove thing was exclusive to fake insulated gloves in maint, now that I know that I'll keep it in mind also.
    General_Battier likes this.
  8. Right so, I may have been a bit harsh in my opening salvo. I have a tendency to do that sometimes.

What I will say with no hesitation is that you are good *for the amount of time that you have been playing SS13*. I was quite surprised to see how green you are actually, it generally does not show in your play. I've seen some good stuff from you; you are generally responsive and reasonably robust.

But you haven't been playing security that long and frankly everyone would still be rough around the edges with the amount of hours you have put in and you are proving to be a quick study. I see potential, but I don't think you're ready yet. One thing I have noticed is that you still seem to be feeling out the role and what appropriate responses are. I find you to be a bit of a wild card and I can't anticipate whether you are going to argue with a superior about a completely lawful action that you feel is excessive, or fail to bat an eye when something questionable happens in front of you. Sometimes you take the "don't be rudecurity" thing a bit too far to the point of creating security risks, other times you can be quite short with people. I've also seen a little bit of inflexibility and failure to fully consider the broader context of what is going on when determining a course of action (just to give an example, if I am processing a grand theft suspect and the AI goes code delta and reveals itself to be malf, I'll immediately release the prisoner to go deal with the AI, when I wouldn't have released him otherwise--not an exact situation I've seen you in but just to give a sense of what I'm referring to). These are all things that I am confident will come with time, as it gets easier to adapt to when you have more play time in and such situations aren't novel anymore.

In summary, you an above average (but not great) officer in spite of playing the role for a below average amount of time. So I'll be watching you and I'm open to being sold on you if I see good things.
    ProbablyBaron likes this.
  9. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

I never found a problem with it. Harsh criticism is still criticism and all criticism is welcome.
    If there's an issue with time and I get denied for it I will gladly continue to rack up playtime and apply again in the future.
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  10. Sorry to be so bipolar...just saw a very poor arrest and brigging by you, that I feel can serve as a teaching moment.

An assistant, Brick Wall, was hitting the windows outside the brig with an oxygen tank. You rushed out and fired all six of your taser shots at him while he dodged, missing all six shots. You moved in with your baton and were able to stun him and cuff him. Over the sec channel, another officer then said "HELP! ARRIVALS!" You said "can't help you, dealing with a hostile prisoner" (he had attempted to disarm you once) and brought the assistant into the brig. You then brigged him for assaulting an officer, sabotage and resisting arrest. He correctly stated that he hadn't committed sabotage and you admitted this but said you weren't going to lower the time regardless.

Several things wrong here, that I will address in order of severity:

- You chose to process a prisoner for hitting some windows that he failed to even break, instead of helping an officer who was screaming for backup and possibly being killed. He turned out to be okay in the end but you have to assume the worst when another officer screams "HELP!" and shouts out their location, and drop what you're doing and get there unless you have something very important to do. Drag or release the assistant in this case, it doesn't matter, but processing him for petty crimes instead of helping an officer in distress was an exceptionally poor decision. This ties into what I mentioned about flexibility and adapting to circumstances. You have to prioritize. Which is more important; your comrade's life, or brigging some assistant for hitting a window?

- You illegally charged the prisoner for a crime he didn't commit, you admitted this, and you didn't adjust the timer accordingly. Pretty straight forward why this is an issue.

- You didn't use any verbals or the gasmask halt function, immediately viewing the situation as one requiring force and an arrest and brigging even though he didn't even succeed in breaking the window and may have cut it out and went away if you ordered him to stop (again, this tied you up and you didn't deal with the officer in distress because you chose to spend several minutes arresting and processing this guy instead).

- When you were brigging him, you flashed Brick 3 or 4 times, including inexplicably flashing him before uncuffing him at the end of his sentence while you were both still in the brig and therefore he would be uncuffed and able to attack you if he wanted to on the way out regardless.

- Major display of unrobustness since you were shooting in a narrow hallway and missed six shots in a row. However this happens to us all every now and then and isn't a big deal.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  11. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

You weren't there for the whole thing and you're very misinformed.

The assistant came and starting hitting windows with an o2 tank, I told him to stop, he continues to hit the windows. I move to open the sec doors and he runs away. I go back to doing what I'm doing and he immediately returns to do it again, this time I follow him out of sec and he attempts to slip me with water in the hallways. He runs and I decide not to play cat and mouse with him so I go back into brig and he returns to do it again. I get a shot off on him and arrest him for sabotage and resisting arrest. He tries to say it wasn't sabotage and I ignore him. I start letting him out and he punches me a few times, he runs away and I don't follow. He comes back to do his similar o2 tank to the window annoyance and I arrest him again, this is where I miss my shots in the hallway above Lawyer's Office and towards Labor.
    I completely don't understand why you would make this point if THE SENTENCE AFTERWARDS you make a counter-argument for yourself. The only reason to do that would be to publicly shame me over an event that happened which you then later said didn't matter that happened. Why not just leave it out in the first place?
    I brig him, not for "Assaulting an Officer" but for "Assault" because I felt like punching an officer a couple times isn't necessary to warrant an extra 5 minutes on his sentence when he's just being an annoying graytider. I even explain it to the HoS and he agrees. HoS says make it Assaulting an Officer if he used a weapon. I fuck up my uncuffing and flashing, and then succeed the next time I try. He then says he wants medical attention so I flash him in the cell, cuff him, and give him medical attention. I lay him on his bed and uncuff him again, using my flash. His time runs out and I let him go.

I did ask him to stop, I didn't wear a gas mask (plenty of officers don't!) so I couldn't us the vocal function of the gas mask. Me stopping to open my bags and pull out a gas mask and use the function would only result in him being too far to hear it and would distract me and take up hand slots which I could use for a baton and cuffs if necessary.

I never admitted to it being a "crime he didn't commit". HoS was there, I told him he was trying to smash windows, he left without a word. Assistant says "It's not sabotage!" I say "Eh. I'm not reducing your time." which, mind you, isn't admitting that what I did was wrong, it's stating "I'm not reducing your time."

When the officer asked for help I said I couldn't because I had a hostile prisoner. A prisoner who had shown intent and effort to breaking into brig and had assaulted an officer multiple times. There were multiple other Security officers on station at the time who were not handling hostile prisoners, or even a prisoner at all and were in a better situation to help than I was. I was stating that I personally would not be able to arrive, I was not speaking for the entire sec team and I was not saying that he will not get help.

Things you were misinformed on:
    1. The assistants crimes.
    2. My reasons for brigging him for his crimes.
    3. My purpose for flashing a hostile prisoner multiple times.
    4. Me "lying" about his sentence.
    EDIT: If you would like to hear an situation in where an actual Perseus officer had terrible shooting I would like to remind you of a Rev round, where Perseus in Perma were shooting down the hall between Interrogation and Warden's area using AoE and burst. Missing all of their AoE shots, hitting my ablatives with bursts and stunning themselves, and being otherwise unrobust. I didn't see them get kicked out of Perseus immediately because of their poor display during a round once, so why would my poor shooting display in a round once mean anything in an application where multiple other people have already said I'm "reasonably robust"?
    Mindtrixx likes this.
  12. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I think you need to calm down a little bit. Aggressive behavior does not look good in an application.

I'd like to go over a couple of points, since I was the clown that round and decided to observe you as a ghost later:

1. Sabotage? In no way was the assistant committing that crime, if anything it would of been Creating A Workplace Hazard (Water on floors.), or B&E Restricted. (Breaking into brig.)

2. Wearing the gas mask is essential, I always wear it with my emergency oxygen take open in case of an emergency. Just something I do that I find incredibly helpful.

3. You did try to talk to the assistant (Brick Wall), but he wasn't having any of it and decided to keep on going. However, I think that permabrig sentence was unfair. He only came twice for relatively minor crimes. (Mostly just greytide dickery.)

4. If you aren't lying about this whole time ordeal (And I don't think you are lying.), then you had bad judgment for sentencing this time around. We all make mistakes, and I have done the same thing before. However, I just wanted to mention this so you can improve. (As I try to.)

5. You aren't unrobust, you just had a bad time with a greytider. Careful about wasting all of your taser fire though, try to spread it out evenly with well aimed shots. Predict the movement of the man you are shooting.

6. Tell the prisoner that they are being flashed or stunned, very few officers do it, I know, but it does help cut down on the screaming of "ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE!".

7. Prioritize. When an officer is screaming for help, I always try to rush to the scene, unless there is an immediate threat. I understand that there are several officers, and you had a prisoner, but the other offices could of been thinking, "Eh, the other officer has that." to the point where nobody investigates and an officer goes down for good. I wasn't sure on the resolution of that whole ordeal, so I am only saying that prioritizing is a big thing for us.

It was a rough round, and you tried your best to keep the law.
  13. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

I was told once that opening windows connected to the brig and exposing electrified grills was in fact sabotage.
    I'll do so in the future, thanks for the advice.

Perma? I never perma'd anybody... I don't know where you're getting that from.
    I'll try to do so in the future. I've normally kept it as a luxury for prisoners who've been cooperative, but I'll try to use it for everybody now.
    I'll do so in the future. I'll try to work on my responsiveness to calls for backup.
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  14. Agent1667

Aye, I got my facts a bit muddled. You took him into permabrig, but gave him labor. That was around the time I left because of my stomach. Ignore my point three, sorry about that.
  15. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

Baron appears to have explained what happened rather well, in a clear manner. Do like.
  16. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

I haven't seen enough of your sec play to have a definite opinion on you.

There are a few things I don't like.

Brick wall didn't hit any of the windows leading to an electrified grille. He hit the windoor next to the brig main entrance doors. He didn't break anything.
    There is no way he commited sabotage.

I remember you acknowledging that fact ICly during that round, yet you deny doing so in one of your posts.
    "He tries to say it wasn't sabotage and I ignore him." "I never admitted to it being a "crime he didn't commit""

You did not adjust the timer or give a reason for not doing so after you acknowledged the sabotage crime wasn't commited. You just said you weren't changing the timer.

You had no interaction with brick wall in order to get him to stop being a shitsistant. You brickwalled the brick wall.

You consider an assitant armed with an oxygen tank hitting a windoor at brig, punching a few times, obviously trying to play cat and mouse with security a "hostile prisoner" and a threat to the station.

You were extremely agressive in your response to Flat's post.
    "you're very misinformed." "The only reason to do that would be to publicly shame me" " If you would like to hear an situation in where an actual Perseus officer had terrible shooting [...]"

If I may give you a few suggestions :
    Take a deep breath before posting. You must be able to take criticism and undeserved negative feedback well.
    Read space law again.
    Pay attention to the chat, windoor =/= window.
    Work on prisoner interaction. Try to talk people out of commiting more crimes, and try to satisfy them.
    Work on brigging procedures, you shouldn't need to flash anyone so many times to heal or uncuff them.
    I'll assume you forgot the details of what exactly happened that round and didn't remember you actually agreed with the sabotage crime not being commited.

I will try to observe you some more.
    Flatoftheblade, Agent1667 and CYBORZ like this.
  17. Except in the round she 100% did acknowledge the prisoner's point that the sabotage charge didn't apply, but refused to lower the timer. I stand by my assertion that that, and explicitly refusing a request for backup by an officer in distress in favor of processing a prisoner for something this petty, were significant issues. I am also not as impressed by the response as you, because Perseus get flamed no matter what they do and the issues I raised were legitimate.

You didn't actually witness the incident, while Thar did and corroborated my account. (The sole thing I was incorrect about was charging assault vs assaulting an officer, which doesn't matter because it's not something I focused on regardless)
    CYBORZ likes this.
  18. Chaznoodles

Chaznoodles Well-Known Member

Yo, put that dong back in it's box. I stated my personal opinion. The candidate explained what happened rather well, in my opinion.
  19. Agent1667

Baron, I would like to mention something that happened last night that made me question you.

It was a new round, and there were three officers. Me, you, and another officer. (Who turned out to be a ling.)

We had no heads. You decided to opt out of Security that round for no reason, and you trespassed into the HoP office demanding for a job change. You threatened to strangle and kill Ian if you did not receive access. Luckily, I was able to call in Kate Smollett, who took the Spare ID. She gave you all access, and you ran off. (I would of arrested Kate for Grand Theft, however with the lack of head personnel I was attempting to be lenient, which turned out to prove badly.) I'm not sure what happened in between that event and my death, but I know you spent a majority of the round space exploring.

As an Officer: You ignored your duty, threatened to murder Ian if you did not receive a job change, and then left for space. You wasted that job space for any potential player, and you went against everything Security stands for. As a Perseus applicant, I would thought that you would stick out the round as an officer, at least.

I would like you to explain yourself.
    Eluxor, Flatoftheblade and CYBORZ like this.
  20. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

I had made a pre-game error with my job priorities and never saved Atmos Tech as high and Sec as low. I wanted to be an Atmos Tech instead of a Security Officer. I never got all access, she changed my ID from a Sec ID to an Atmos ID. I learned some Atmos and we decided, since we had nothing else to do, to explore space.
    I'd like to personally believe that the moment I stripped myself of all my Sec gear (and locked it in the Sec locker, mind you!) I wasn't a Security Officer anymore and wasn't obligated to act like a Security Officer.
    Mindtrixx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.