Consistent Friendships

Discussion in 'General' started by Flavo, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

This topic has been covered in the past so most of it will just be a quote from cannibal crow. The reason for this threads existing is purely to be a refresher as well as to take and answer questions that come up about it.
    For the record as of posting this, this quote is 5 months old
    In short, yes you are allowed to have inter-round friendships, you just cannot use them as a advantage in the round or communicate using OOC methods, skype, teamspeak, or anything that isn't IC.

I very much agree with this ruling and enforce it in my admining.

This thread is in discussions if anyone has any questions or asks for clarity of something above. Ask away!
  2. Keyword22

Keyword22 Well-Known Member

One question though: Did this Just now start getting enforced?
    Because another admin simply told me before that they were not allowed (happened no less than 2 weeks ago).

So if the quote is 5 months old, you might want to check who is and who isn't actually following it.
  3. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Which admin, what was the context of the situation??
  4. Keyword22

Well that would be Draden, and the context was a discussion about metabuddying, and he replied saying "No it isn't allowed adminhelp when you see it". Of course, he and I may have different concepts of what Metabuddying is.

For me it is simply spending more time with a person you know either through OOC methods or from within game experience because you know they won't betray and that you have an stable relationship, you don't have to give them access/loot/armor because this only is downright meta.

Following someone around 1 round or 2 is ok, but every round because you have an IC "marriage" I find to be truly distasteful, as it turns the server pretty outsider unfriendly (Like Baystation12 and most HeavyRP servers) "I don't know you, you don't get to interact with me" and they may feel quite left out or, unwelcome. But of course this is just my take on it.

I have also seen admins involved in this sort of behaviour (the one described in the OP), will they face any sort of punishment or talking to?

You also have the instances of people skipping their jobs and traveling to the other end of the station to meet up, is this also allowed or not?
  5. AncientV25

AncientV25 LS13 Admin

Keyword, you and him do have very different definitions of metabuddying. There is a difference between a 'persistent' friendship and 'metabuddying.' Check through crow's quote.
    Eluxor likes this.
  6. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Admins are to be treated the same as players in these situations the only difference is that a headmin/seniormin review the case and deal with them accordingly. As normal you should report it the same you would with a player through the ahelp or incident report or maybe even staff complaint.
  7. Metabuddying is generally used as a bad term, what I meant was like interfering with an arrest with security for simply no reason, or because they're your friend you give them all access repeatedly as HOP.
    QuantumWings and AncientV25 like this.
  8. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

Though there is a certain and valid issue of following each other around constantly, it doesn't even have to be over the course of rounds, but rather in their game lifetime from over days, weeks, and months. It definitely has happened where you are attacking one of them or one of them is attacking you and "BLAM-O", their squad comes at the drop of a hat and it is game over for them.

One could say it is just a perk to "being nice" to others and forming a bond and others find it to be, as Keyword put it, distasteful. I can completely see why they would find it as such, but there is a limit to banning "being friends" at the same time.
    QuantumWings and IMVader like this.
  9. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

Metabuding differs here 88.

In your post you said.

People are aware that myself , Richard ullman , Kadingir , Mayland , rocky ram and others would run around with each other but none of us where really nice to each other before this started happening.

Before we started running around as a group we disliked each other.

An example is me and rocky would beat the living shit out of each other if any chance was given.

Now once we got over that and started hanging out IG we started to be nicer to eachother yes. But the bonding happend due to the same personality / ect.

Now on topic.

Metabuding is not much of an issue long as it stays on the down low really.

Myself and mayland might play atmos together and completly rewire the dispoisal shoots because we fucking can. < this to me seems fine.

Vs

Metabuder 1 (hop) giving metabuder 2 ( assitant ) All access. < This is bad
    QuantumWings, Obadiah Mayland and JPR like this.
  10. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Yeah. Friendship, fine. Cooperation, fine. HIVEMIND that rushes to rescue no matter what, not fine. Just giving out goodies at random CONSTANTLY, not fine.
    QuantumWings and Obadiah Mayland like this.
  11. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

We ALL have meta buddies. I don't care who you are or at least a meta judgement. When you see someone so often you come to know how they behave. For instance i trust obadiah OOCly which has benefits ICly in a rev round he messaged me as the HoS him as an assitant. Saying he needed help in maintence and he had a sec officer in crit with him. I believed him and he was telling the truth he messaged me because he trusted me and i believed him because i trusted him. However the oppisite is entirely true.
    Obadiah Mayland, Eluxor and daddysds1 like this.
  12. daddysds1

daddysds1 Well-Known Member

Mayland has to many friends
    Obadiah Mayland likes this.
  13. General_Battier

General_Battier LS13 Admin

You can never have to many!
  14. Keyword22

This is exactly what I was talking about, this is downright distasteful to do and somewhat meta.

It affected the gameplay, because you, as an important head of staff in a confirmed rev round decided to trust a random assistant. Had this not been Obadiah you wouldn't have gone there to help the assistant at all.
    Flatoftheblade and IMVader like this.
  15. BRAINOS

BRAINOS Well-Known Member

Huuuuuge differences between persistent IC friendships and metabuddying.
    Anyway, I'd like to suggest more severe IC punishment handed out for shit like HoSes giving out energy guns or HoPs handing out all access. All of that is covered in Space Law. Yes, it means more "ghey arpee," but brig time and a demotion can be just as effective as a bwoink. When it's a continued problem, then bust out the jobbans.
    Draden Kamikaze and AncientV25 like this.
  16. Obadiah Mayland

Obadiah Mayland Well-Known Member

To
    He didn't run out to help, I brought the officer to him...in the brig. Plus, Percy was there, so it really wouldnt have helped me anyway if I was an antag

EDIT:
    Making decisions based on past experiences is a part of this game, as many have pointed out before me. in no way did I receive power in this instance, I was merely trying to fill my role as an ASSISTANT aboard a station filled with revolutionaries. How did I do this? I assisted security by bringing a critical security officer.
    Everyone has a reputation, and people cannot simply forget that round to round, otherwise you wouldn't have IC friendships at all, it would just be a bunch of randomized names, every round, 24/7. It was Snow's decision to trust me or not, not because we were meta buddies.
  17. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

I once made the decision to allow kate smollet on the sec force along with draden(or obadiah I dunno), and everyone else already in that metapals group.

Worst decision ever. Couldn't do shit against a person without others jumping at my throat.
    Agent1667, Sweedle and Flatoftheblade like this.
  18. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

Thanks obi anyways. If you were a rev me letting you into the brig and giving you instructions for a back way in could have certainly helped. IC friends are important they are also how you figure out if someone is a traitor. If a really good CE dicks off and never sets up the engine well guess what he is probably a traitor. I also believe obadiah or someone has used my trust to kill me. as i am sure some of you know their was a time when for most people engaging me in battle with a fair fight was stupid. Because well i am very good at robusting as i often play security.
  19. I uhm? Im in a metapal group? must have been obadiah because I dont give a fuck who gets arrested, if theres a reason I dont give a fuck I'll rub noirs breasts on your prison cell though.
  20. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

noir is a girl?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.