Cody522's Application for Apprenticeship {75}

Discussion in 'Project Lead Apprenticeship (CLOSED)' started by Cody522, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

DEMOGRAPHICS
    ByondKey: Cody522

Years with LLA: 5 (4 of which, an admin)

Country of Origin: United States of America

Time Zone: Mountain Mountain -7:00 UTC

Admin Rank (if applicable):

ABOUT YOU
    What skills and knowledge sets you apart from other applicants and makes you valuable?
    I have been in the leadership position before and through the decisions I've made and not made I've gained experience onto becoming a better leader from what I was then. I actively play the game and am knowledgeable in almost all parts of it by now, combined with coding knowledge I understand the mechanics further. I have the ability to code and can help use that when it comes to decisions about the source.
    Tell me a story about the time you disappointed yourself most, and what you learned from it.
    In high school I made a stupid decision without particularly caring much and ended up unintentionally vandalizing a piece of school property. I was billed several hundred dollars to replace it and became the butt of the student's jokes for awhile. Worse than any of the school humility I had to face the disappointment from my mother who would had to pay for it. I'm not really sure what I learned from this experience as I don't like to think about it and rather shun it. If anything was to be learned, it would be to think first first before action.
    What's your favorite color?
    Green. It's pretty.
    What's your favorite number?
    6 a lucky number that turns up often for me
    What's your favorite video game?
    Rome Total War 1. I spent my childhood on that game and it was the first thing I ever hyped for as my bestfriend told me about it, albeit oversold all the cool things you can do in the game. Still though it was addicting and fun as a strategy game to march your armies to war, have to make last stands, brutally annihilate your opponents, and change history.
    What's your favorite film?
    300. Honestly the movie was so good I had a raging boner at the end of it and I watched it with a large chunk of my family and I had shorts on. I watched it repeatedly afterwards because I love the fight scenes and the rousing speech at the end of the movie gives me chills.
    What number am I thinking of right now?
    300 probably as it was just brought up. Or maybe it's the number in my topic if you're checking to see if I did my math correctly. It may be your own favorite number but I wouldn't know what that is.
    Look to your left, what do you see there?
    I see the other corner of my bedroom. The door is wooden and shut, the light switch is off since it's morning and enough sunlight is coming through the blinds. My backpack full of books and my tablet for college is sitting on the floor up against my dresser which is against the wall perpendicular to the door. The floor is colored concrete that looks a bit rocky. Gives the room with its white walls a warehouse look but I put a rug over it so I have something not so cold to walk on.
    Do you know where my keys are?
    I would have no idea bro.
    Have you ever been a babysitter, or babysat before?
    Not really officially, I've been left alone with babies and toddlers for periods of time. I've entertained and played with them. Luckily I haven't had to change a diaper yet. If you're looking for a person with baby advice for your own kid I shouldn't be your first option.
    Do you think this application is too short?
    Short or long I don't believe it will be perfect enough, and in the end it will come down to people's experience with me and how they think about me. Not how I think about myself. I think it's just right, these questions are partly for seeing if you'll follow its rules I'm guessing.

HYPOTHETICALS
    Two admin are fighting, the headmin is offline, you can't reach me by phone, what do?
    I would get their attention and have them tell me what the issue is, privately if possible. Preferably have them talk one at a time without them making remarks, like it usually is and gently remind them of a professional environment. I would collect as much of the information I can so I could make a report later to the headmin or zombie. I may not be allowed to make decisions on the headmins behalf, being just an apprentice, nor would I want to step on toes. So I would leave the decision up to their formal bosses.

Most importantly though would be to stop the conflict and have the admins keep themselves professional. If a flamestorm comes along, I'm being ignored by the admins, and I have the power to, I may have to mute them. Or reach someone else who would have the power in the chatroom or if it's on the game.

You have a decision to make, and both answers are wrong. which one do you pick?
    I pick the decision I think is best. Not all decisions have to have the best outcomes but I may as well try my hardest to make it work. In the future if I'm faced with the decision again, I could make a better one or not choose the choice that will end in disaster if that was my experience before.

You are tasked with writing an application question for your own application. What question would you write, and what would you answer?
    The question would be "Why do you want to be an apprentice?"
    I would answer:
    I want to improve the game and have hand in the direction of its development.

You are a kid again and your parents caught you doing something wrong. They ask you what you think your punishment should be, how would you respond?
    If I'm a kid, I would pick the option that would be barely punishing or not at all. I don't know what punishment that would be though since it's my parents. I almost never got in trouble as a child and the worst thing I've faced would be being yelled at.

Tell me about a time you didn't have to make a difficult decision and what you didn't do to resolve it.
    Recently I had a choice of fast food restaurants to go to, I was weighing which one I was in the in mood for, when was the last time I went there. I decided to just stay at home and eat.

You are filling out an application for an apprenticeship for LLA Don Zombie, you come to a question that asks you to imagine you are doing that hypothetically, how would you answer?

You have 22 seconds of air in your sinking submarine, 3 matches, a loaf of bread, an admin, and a player. How do you spend your final moments?
    I would be trying my best to survive and or escape. Otherwise I don't know how I'll truly act if I'm about to die with two other people. Do any of us know?
    Rannek17 likes this.
  2. Benblu

Benblu Firstest

3. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

What is the very first thing you would do as Project Lead of LLA?
  4. Cody522

Tell my mom. She would be proud.

I don't know what I would do, if you're asking me if I would make a 90 degree turn off course and light everything you knew on fire and replace it. I wouldn't do that, if I do, it would be a more gentle change.
    Honestly that would be a horrible thing to do to make a big decision as soon as I become the leader. That would shake my authority and respect from people.
    Raptorblaze likes this.
  5. PepsiBlueFan

PepsiBlueFan Active Member

That is good to know.

I am curious. If admins caught you doing something really bad like you snapped and murder boned the whole server. They decided to choose your own punishment, would you still choose barely punishing or no punishing at all?
    IMVader likes this.
  6. Cody522

My answer before was no punishment because as a kid I wouldn't be making responsible decisions and rather save my own ass.

Your hypothetical situation is sort of strange. If I snapped I probably wouldn't care for any kind of punishment. If I were to give me my own punishment I think disappointment from the community is enough, and a ban never really fixes anything unless the admins want me gone permanently.
  7. PepsiBlueFan

So then if a ban never really fixes anything, then do you have an alternative that would work better? Do you believe that banning griefers isn't a solution to the problem? I find this position of yours interesting.
    Mabblies likes this.
  8. PepsiBlueFan

You know, even if he might be on bad terms with the admins I personally believe he can change that. I think it would take time but I don't think its unrepairable by any means.

Cody, even if you left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth I am willing to forgive you. I don't think its healthy to hold grudges and I think you need a fresh start. I personally won't support this because I don't think you are ready for it. I however don't want you to get depressed over this if hard feelings are brought up. I don't personally know if you are prone to this but I know on the inside you have a good heart.
  9. Rannek17

Rannek17 Member

Just gonna chime in here as a veteran of Cody's stint as Headmin, most of us really didn't like him and openly argued his rules/suggestions. He still managed to hold the place together pretty well until he quit the job. I fully believe he can work with a team he dosen't like. I don't mean to suggest you don't have a valid point, though.
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  10. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Cody,

Good luck in your application.

I say this objectively and with no harsh feelings towards you.

As a player on this server for two years, I was here with you as an admin. As a player, I never saw any issues when you were an admin. I was not an active member of the community then. You gave me my first note "Engineer that actually does his job." I'm still proud of that. My interactions with you being an admin have been perfectly fine, as a player.

Since I've become an active member of the community, I've noticed a few things. You can be exceedingly caustic and deliver personal, unconstructive attacks to those you disagree with. You are a rather ruthless player, often with little use for tact. As a player within the community, you're an asshole more often than not. You often find that line right outside of grief and you wait there, doing everything that's within the rules, but being a massive dick about it generally. You are entitled to act as you wish, as long as you're within the rules. You stay inside of them. I will say that.

As a regular player, observing your behavior in this manner does not make me pine for you to be in charge of the project. I would prefer it go to someone else who is worthy.

If you feel that my assessment is inaccurate, then think about this - I've only got the persona you portray to judge you by.
    Rocco Ward and Flatoftheblade like this.
  11. Cody522

Talking people into not breaking the rules. Tell them what the LLA rules mean. Or encourage them to play elsewhere if they like doing things we don't like. I tend to have received good feedback from players doing that.

It's serious. I don't see myself as unable to work with anybody right now. If I didn't believe I could be on a team then I wouldn't be making this application.
  12. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Having asked Wellington this, I feel it is only fair that I ask the other candidates.

13. Cody522

1. I would focus on code development to the server and things that will make us more unique than others. Rather than hanging on the coat tails of /tg/

2. My priority on projects sort of goes into the first question, mainly being code development. After that, pick up on the things declared that seem to become dead in the water in the announcements section. For backburner projects I think Perseus would one because from our history, coders spend a lot of time on it and it only really affects that white listed group of players rather than the rest of the server. Doesn't mean I will get rid of them unless that's like the popular opinion, but they will have a lower priority on coding focus
  14. Tomtoot

Tomtoot Active Member

Heh, he gave me "+2 Cool points" as my first note, not 1, but 2. Still happy about that too
    No stance on this application just yet, just wanted to add :p
  15. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

Heh. I feel like I'm reading a political election race. I can't help but come up with little political commentary like "oh it looks like cody has alienated a minority group."
  16. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

Obama is gonna give me a phone, why would I ever vote for anyone else! #Obama5apprentice #420MoreYears
  17. Good responses, Cody. I now have no doubts as to your sincerity. Was genuinely curious but it's clear that you've actually thought about this and feel you're up to the challenge.

I agree with you about the political election race, but I perceive his position on Perseus as actually being a savvy move. Yes, it alienates a minority group, but it's effective demagoguery since Perseus is generally unpopular (and none of the other candidates have challenged the status quo there). And honestly I can't disagree with him that the most resources should be put into things that would benefit the most people.
    Rocco Ward likes this.
  18. LemonSoup

LemonSoup LS13 Admin

Do you believe that those who do wrong within the community should be cut out immediately for the good of the whole, or is it worth it to keep them around a while longer in an attempt to reform them?