Closed Classic Mesons

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Flavo, Mar 24, 2015.

?

Classic Mesons?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2015.
  1. Yes.

85.0%
  2. No.

15.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This pull request simply puts the code for "Advance Mesons" onto the regular mesons. Nothing else.
    You still don't see mobs or objs, if you have no light. Only turf.

I feel like mesons right now are pretty much pointless to any engineer and only serves a purpose to shaft miners to see things with the mining scanner

This is:
    Bringing back the classic mesons

This is not:
    Bringing back old mining (you cannot see plasma,uranium)
    Giving people night vision

PR: https://github.com/Spoffy/LLA-Station-13/pull/293
  2. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

3. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Ah but this poll is about having the old mesons, not old mining. a small detail but still worth its own poll
  4. Cody522

I don't know what you mean by old mining or classic mesons.

Classic mesons WAS being able to see all minerals.
  5. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

No, Classic mesons did the exact same thing. *old mining, before the mining scanner* would just show the minerals at all times. Now they're hidden until they get scanned.

As an example, if you were a ghost with old mining you could fly over mining and see all the minerals. In new mining, you cannot.
    QuantumWings, NoFaceMan and Flavo like this.
  6. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

I can't quote apparently on this computer (No chrome)

Raptor, what your saying is this?

You walk into an area with the mesons on. You see nothing in the walls, you scan, and you see there is plasma, iron and the likes in the walls. The ability to see those objects doesn't go away after a few moments.

If yes. 2 questions

1. Can other miners see stuff you've scanned.

2. If you die and then ghost, then can you see the minerals that you scanned?
  7. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Mining would be literally the same as it is now except that you can see tunnels. it doesn't effect the scanner, it doesn't make ghosts see ores. this is very clearly outlined in the OP
  8. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

I think this doesn't need to be changed. Its pointless and unneeded not to mention obtainable through regular R&D already.

No.
  9. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

Perhaps Mining should be LESS RELIANT on other departments. We already have them begging roboticists for medbots and begging virologists for viruses, I don't think they need to beg R&D for anything BEFORE they've gone out to mining.

I for one would love this change. It makes mining slightly easier, speeds up the mining process, and makes mining just a TAD safer.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  10. This will just make mining less interesting. Part of the fun is not knowing when you are suddenly going to mine into a tunnel and find a goliath waiting for you on the other side. If you just bring some metal with you it is easy enough to wall off the tunnels and protect yourself regardless.
    Eluxor and NoFaceMan like this.
  11. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Welli, I mean, You still won't see goliaths. Mobs and Items don't show on the mesons, just the turfs.
  12. Yeah, but you could see where you'd be popping out into a tunnel and could try to prepare yourself for a possible fight and/or avoid opening up new areas entirely.
  13. General_Battier

General_Battier LS13 Admin

I like the mining we have now, the darkness ups the immersion, making it feel like Im in a cave.
  14. Cody522

People can still die easily enough in the mines, and tunnels are still visible if you look carefully or turn up the contrast.
  15. ProbablyBaron

ProbablyBaron BANNED

META (Just kidding but it'll make everything look disgusting, and nobody wants to tinker with their hardware settings to have pseudo-night vision for mining)
  16. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

Making things less reliant on each other defeats the purpose of them relying on each other at all at this degree. Asking for advanced mesons at the start is like saying you want a diamond drill right off the bat. Just go to HoP/R&D get what you need after your initial run and gear up like you're supposed to.

It doesn't need to be handed to you, its a progression system. If there needs to be a change to mining, add more mineral spawns and a faster way to deliver them.
  17. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

I don't like the "less interesting" arguments. If you ROBUST people who "mine" want it, maybe Flavored can leave a pair of "crappy old mesons" on mining that you can wear for your IMMERSION, but for me, I like SEEING the tunnels so I can make a quick pass and get little ore for science without being killed.
  18. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

I'm retracting my own Pull Request for various reasons. mainly
    and the fact that there are positives to everything not being BRIGHTENED UP
    General_Battier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.