Closed Suggestion Ban anti-psychiatric commentary in #venting

Discussion in 'Discord Discussion' started by Flat, Feb 25, 2016.

?

Implement rule against anti-psychiatry "advice"?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    95.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flat

Flat BANNED

People have been using venting to discuss actual problems, and it's great for it to be used as a support network.

However I've seen a few comments discouraging people from seeking medical attention for psychological issues, or encouraging people to discontinue using medications prescribed by medical professionals.

This is obviously not only unhelpful, but actively harmful. Can we establish some rules about this and ban people who do this, please?
  2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

This a thousand times.

Undermining medical professionals is ludicrous. I understand that they're not perfect, but anti-psychiatric advice hurts the person in need of treatment and possibly those around them.
    Don't continue this stupid practice. I'm completely on board with implementing a rule against it.
  3. CannibalCrow

CannibalCrow LS13 Admin Staff Member

This should absolutely be banned. #Venting is a channel designed to give people a little release for their frustrations, and people actively going against well-established (scien-fucking-tifically speaking) means of helping these problems defeats the very purpose of the room. in only harming the individuals who sought some form of relief from the channel.
  4. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

What the actual fuck people? Implement.

[​IMG]
  5. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

If someone is doing this alert a chat admin. If someone has done this already alert a chat admin. You are welcome to PM me anytime.
  6. Flat

Flat BANNED

There has been a chat admin actively taking part in the conversation every time I've witnessed the behaviour described. I've told the offending party to shut the fuck up and the chat admin has agreed but in more polite language each time. Then for the time being no further words on the subject are uttered.

I didn't think to contact a chat admin since there was one present and privy to what was going on. I would just like to see something formal so offending parties are notified formally and officially that what they are saying isn't cool, and repeat offenders can be bounced from the chat.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  7. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Can you PM me a little more info about what happened?
    QuantumWings likes this.
  8. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

It goes without saying but I'll put it in the top bar. I was there for at least the most recent incident (I wasn't aware of others) multiple people explained why that was not good practice and the person who suggested it apologized. I'll write it in now. If you see it happen just explain respectfully why that's bad and notify a chatmin that there's a problem so they can help out if you need it, or help explain.

Edit:
    [​IMG]
  9. i accidentally put no, wasnt paying attention. Please ignore 1 "no" and make it a "yes"
  10. DingleFlop

DingleFlop Well-Known Member

All of my this
  11. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Was this all because Tranquil said "don't take it then" ?
    or did he delete other messages during this incident?
  12. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Uh... yes. Stop doing this, it's bad.
  13. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Advising people to avoid psychiatric treatment: Bad
    Discussing personal experiences with psychiatric treatment: Good

Just wanna bring that up. Happy venting!
    MiziBooBoo likes this.
  14. Flat

Flat BANNED

I can't say I necessarily agree with you. It completely depends upon how this is approached. Everyone has different brain chemistry and psychiatric treatment is about as far from a "one-size-fits-all" process as can be imagined, so (explicitly or implicitly) framing a personal experience as "x medication was unhelpful and dangerous in my personal experience, therefore it's unhelpful and dangerous generally" is a worse than useless contribution to the discussion. And it's how I've seen people relate their experiences more often than not. That and people who are starting medications being disgruntled that their longstanding depression and suicide ideation didn't immediately evaporate the instant they consumed their first pill (which usually draws responses with people dog-piling about how useless medications supposedly are, instead of someone correctly explaining that that's not how medications work).

The level of ignorance about medications I've seen propagated in that chat whenever the subject is raised is astounding. It warrants emphasizing that psychiatric medications affect everyone differently and that the process of finding the correct combination of medications usually takes a lot of trial and error and persistence.

I really am stating the obvious here, I know, but it still runs against the general attitudes I've been seeing.
    Raptorblaze likes this.
  15. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

This was implemented awhile back, forgot to close the thread.
    [​IMG]
    Accepted
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.