PC Aurora 4X Micromanagement Simulator!

Discussion in 'Real Time Strategies' started by Jariahtoadsage, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Jariahtoadsage

Jariahtoadsage LS13 Admin

So this game, while containing NO graphics, is probably the only game i can understand with mild clarity, but have NO idea of the way to put practice to theory. You reasearch EVERYTHING, and whn you build ships there is such an egregious mix of math and need for function that i cannot for the life of me think of a way to play this game right, but i REALLY want to learn.
    Obadiah Mayland likes this.
  2. Obadiah Mayland

Obadiah Mayland Well-Known Member

WHY HAS NO ONE REPLIED TO THIS? THIS SEEMS COOL
  3. Jariahtoadsage

aurora seems like its a pretty Niche Game, i wasnt suprised.
  4. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Oh god. THAT game.
    I found it a year ago, and it's one of the few games that I wasn't able to INSTALL and run, let alone play. It honestly looks horrifyingly difficult and complex... and if I got it working, I'd use literally every resource in my starting system to build a hyper-death star that takes a gas giant's worth of fuel to move, has a HYPERCANNON capable of sniping enemy ships from AU's away, and a long-range sensor package to go with it, and like a million short-range antimissile weapons and...
    Heh. Realistically, I'd use all the resources in my home system, and then stagnate :D
  5. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

6. Jariahtoadsage

Ive been looking for a quill18 does aurora for SO LONG AND HES DOING IT AHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  7. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

I dont know what we are talking about.
  8. CannibalCrow

CannibalCrow LS13 Admin Staff Member

I remember one of our roguelike chats eventually stumbled upon Aurora. It was pretty neat for a time but I think we all got overwhelmed by it after a while.

Still. It'd be totally cool if we could see some more interest in it. Look forward to seeing if any of you guys get into it!
  9. Jariahtoadsage

Ive been trying, alot of it it is mathmatics based. And spreadsheet based. And mechanics based. You kindof have to either know how everything works are youre designing it or youll end up with inefficencies that will quickly cost you the game.

Not to mention, you have to pray RNJesus doesnt say that the Sol system is gonna get shitcanned for resources, or you're just fucked.
  10. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

Can someone link me to what we are talking about?
  11. Jariahtoadsage

12. Benblu

Benblu Firstest

So this is grand strategy autism amplified times infinity.
    This is good.
  13. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try it tomorrow, wish me luck!!!
  14. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

It's a fun game. I never gained enough interest to leave Sol though.
  15. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

Alright so I've been testing this game out, and man is it fucking complex. I still haven't left Sol yet, but my industry is coming along nicely. I'm still struggling to colonize the moon, but the terraforming process is going smoothly. Also you have to micromanage a lot of stuff otherwise you end up wasting resources easily. I can't wait to see what combat is going to be like!
  16. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

You want ALL of the missiles. Due to how point defense works, I find a swarm of micromissiles works better than regular-sized missiles. Also... for the love of god, put your fire-control systems on the ship THAT IS MOST HEAVILY ARMORED. Have only one powerful radar, and LOSE IT? Prepare to be torn apart while not being able to shoot back :p
    Rocco Ward likes this.
  17. Zachorem

Zachorem Well-Known Member

I play Aurora, but honestly Distant Worlds: Universe is the exact same game only with graphics and real time and active development. Check it out if you haven't - like Dwarf Fortress it is developed by a single guy, and the scope of the project is staggering.
  18. CannibalCrow

CannibalCrow LS13 Admin Staff Member

Last I checked, Distant Worlds is pretty neat but it doesn't have quite the same degree of complexity as Aurora does. Still a good game though, yes.
  19. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

I'm not smart enough for it