AquaDraco's Coding Application

Discussion in 'Iconner/Coder Applications (closed/obsolet)' started by AquaDraco, Dec 17, 2013.

1. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

BYOND Name(Key):
    AquaDraco

Past experience?:
    Done HTML and C#.
    Done databases (although I completely forgot everything I learned).
    Three years of DM.
    Almost a year of Java programming.
    Did several code snippets for Apollo as fanart.
    I taught a few people how to code (DM).
    Tutored some people with Java problems (Java).
    Fixed a bug in TG.

Other Languages Known:
    Java and minimal levels of C++, SQL, and C#

How long have you been coding?:
    Done HTML and C# when I was around 10.
    Three years of DM programming.
    Year of Java programming.

Do you consider yourself a relatively competent coder?:
    Java: Yes
    DreamMaker: Yes

If you have never coded (in DreamMaker) before, are you willing to learn?:
    N/A
  2. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

As someone that has experience working with a team on a rather massive coding project, I would say that, in my opinion, if you are comfortable enough working with people to teach someone to program, then there is probably a place for you on the team. I highly doubt that anyone on the coding team needs someone to teach them to code, but being able to explain something to someone shows a great deal of knowledge regarding the subject as well as a significant amount of "people skills". Seeing as the most intensive part of programming is working through logic, and most languages handle logic in a similar way, I would argue that any person with more than a novice degree of exposure to code could be an asset to a project like this. The only limiting factor I can see being a major issue is the degree of how "full" the team already is at this point.

With all that said, the only questions I can think of for you are:
    * How comfortable are you debugging something that someone else has written?
    * How quickly do you think you could get back in the flow of working with DM?
    * Do you have the means and motivation to maintain extensive coordination with those who are already on the team?
    * Do you think that you could learn what you needed to about the new source without extensive help, and what is your best guess as to a time-frame for when you could begin work?

Obviously I am not on the coding team, but, once again, I do have some amount of experience in working with a group on a large project, and for what it's worth I support this app.
  3. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

* How comfortable are you debugging something that someone else has written?
    I've been doing it for the past semester. I spend more time fixing other people's code than my own. Edit: I found that the best way to debug my own code is to restrain myself from doing panic-guess-and-checks and think through my code logically.

* How quickly do you think you could get back in the flow of working with DM?
    Depends on what I'm given to work with. Edit: After writing this post, I realized that I'm much more out of tune with DM than I thought. It took me half of minute to remember that methods in Java are called procs here, for example. I speculate that I will be doing many, many stupid things in DM that will be reminiscent of Java programming (just like how I've been trying to do return 1; in Java instead of return true; :p).

* Do you have the means and motivation to maintain extensive coordination with those who are already on the team?
    I'm really just doing this for the practice. I'm leaving my programming class at school because I have learned *nothing* (Edit: Well, technically I've learned everything I needed to about Java in the first week. Everything else came naturally from my experience with DM.) from the class I'm taking this semester and they won't let me in the only other programming class since it's a two-semester course. If you need something from me, I can always turn on Skype (speaking of which, I need to download that again after I had to factory reset my laptop).

* Do you think that you could learn what you needed to about the new source without extensive help, and what is your best guess as to a time-frame for when you could begin work?
    To be honest, SS13 took me ages to understand (and I haven't bothered to look into a lot of areas of it). It's not difficult per se, but just annoying large and dynamic. For example, I remember puzzling with Cad over how I managed to break density within the first few minutes of creating a mob. After musing about the problem (months or years afterwards), I realized that I must have changed density to 0 where instead I should have changed incorporeal_move to 0. Can I do what I need to if I use ctrl+f and search every relevant proc until I find the one I need? Sure. As for a time frame, I'm hoping to start with simpler projects and move my way up. Practice makes perfect and all that.
  4. Sishio

Sishio Head LS13 Iconner

You didn't do much actual coding last time you were a coder, how do we know that's not going to happen again?
  5. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

You don't, but I figured you could use my help.
  6. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

Bump. Consider this as a reapplication. I'll have nothing to do over the summer except work on programming. Made the original application cleaner.
  7. PoliticalPikachu

PoliticalPikachu Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, this has my support. We are always in need of experienced coders, not to mention the fact that most older members of the team already know you from previously and that always helps.

+Support
  8. Keyword22

Keyword22 Well-Known Member

Aqua, I'm gonna be honest here.
    I still love your mustache.

On topic: Well, Judging by what you put in your application you seem very experienced, But that's for the Head coder to see.
    You have my support and I hope you get in.
  9. Cody522

Cody522 Well-Known Member

Well if you do come back I rather you not get a rank with it since you've quit and have been fired from the team multiple times in the past and by now you're not that trustworthy.
  10. Spoffy

Spoffy Head Coder Staff Member

Hey AD. The last time or two you were on the team, I'm afraid very little actually got done.
    You seem motivated and more experienced now, but I'd like to give you a few tasks to see that you'll actually see them through. They're unlikely to be small either, word of warning.

I'll contact you on Skype when I get the chance.
    Infernus44 likes this.
  11. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

quit* the team

I've never been fired for misconduct.

Besides, what would I do with a rank? I just want to help code. I don't even play on the server.
  12. Rob Ust

Rob Ust Active Member

You're.... alive....? Wow.