Implemented Antag: Flavorful Objectives

Discussion in 'Code Feedback' started by Psyentific, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psyentific

Psyentific Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pull Request: https://github.com/Spoffy/LLA-Station-13/pull/298
    >Uses RNG to assign flavor from pre-generated list
    >Cycles BYOND's terrible RNG to safeguard against consecutive duplicate flavors
    >Uses greentext to encourage antags to do more fun and creative things

Note: Due to technical limitations (unable to have multiple players on testing box), Kill objective flavors were not tested. However, they use the same code as Steal objectives, which work perfectly.
    Obadiah Mayland and BRAINOS like this.
  2. AquaDraco

AquaDraco Active Member

Are you suggesting that I create as much chaos as I can with the captain's jumpsuit?

Challenge accepted.
  3. Psyentific

That is precisely what I want you to do. Don't just grab some unmissed item, do something crazy and awesome and fun with it.
  4. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

This seems pretty neat.
  5. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

What if silently steal a 'loud' objective?
  6. Psyentific

You mean "What if I ignore the objective flavor text and do what I want?"

You greentext anyway, but you will make me sad. I'm trying to use greentext to encourage creativity and !!FUN!! among the common traitor. One of the Kill flavors is "Kill this dude with his own job equipment and say a witty one-liner while you do it". There's no actual checks for loud/quiet/method or whatever, it's purely fluff. I don't want to cockblock anyone just because they forgot to wear gloves or say a witty one-liner or something.

E: Wow. No spoiler tags. Boo.
    PistolPete and Obadiah Mayland like this.
  7. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

As long as it's JUST flavor, and don't take my !GREENTEXT! away less an admin marks it, than I'd love it!
  8. cheif264

cheif264 LS13 Admin

I must start on a list of witty one liner cause i can. This sounds like a great thing to have common traitor rounds can be dull even as the traitor just because its like kill these people steal this stuff and escape and you win.
  9. Psyentific

What I like to do is, whenever I'm bored, think up some obscure or inventive or creative way to kill someone or grief someone.
  10. cheif264

cheif264 LS13 Admin

Actually psy the last two rounds i was a traitor I kinda decided to abandon my objectives and i joined up with baron in both the rounds to help against any others that we found on the way. This got interesting for me when a traitor kidnapped her right in front of me and i just followed and helped save her which also lead to the captain questioning me so that was a interesting conversation to say the least. Random story time FTW.
  11. Obadiah Mayland

Obadiah Mayland Well-Known Member

I'm on board with this. Sounds fun, and I could always go for a bit mo' flavo' :)
  12. Contrary to "encouraging creativity," I feel that this will be limiting. Not in terms of actual deprivation of greentext, but in terms of having to worry about the social pressure of being shamed in OOC if you didn't complete your objectives "the right way." Some people don't like to murderboner, some people don't like stealth; I don't see much of a point in flavor text that does nothing but try to make people feel guilty about not approaching their objectives a certain way.
    Sweedle likes this.
  13. Psyentific

I was with you right until here. I've almost never seen anyone giving anyone flak for not doing their objectives.
  14. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

Obviously you haven't seen Tomtoot talk about ninjas.

I like the flavor text, however it should always be phrased as a suggestion. "The syndicate recommends achieving this objective with as much collateral damage as possible." ect.
  15. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

The issue Flat addressed could be resolved by making it an option in preferences. We have a fair bit of folks that ask for extra objectives whenever they get antagonist and we generally grant these requests. It could just be toggled whenever a player decides that they want a bit of spice added to their objectives.
    NoFaceMan, Sweedle and QuantumWings like this.
  16. Psyentific

Pretty good idea, but that's beyond my skill to implement.
  17. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

This seems like a neat, easy to implement idea.

If altered slightly, it could dovetail extremely well with factions.
  18. LLA Don Zombie

LLA Don Zombie The Don Staff Member

Please start attaching Polls to threads of this nature. It gives me something to go back to if people get pissed about something. Just trust me it makes the whole process easier to accept a submission by giving a peek into public opinion. Posting a criticism/request to get comments.
  19. Psyentific

Is there some way to retroactively add that? I don't think I can when I edit the OP.
  20. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

Not that I know of.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.