Archived Allow Captain or HoS to unilaterally declare Code Red

Discussion in 'Code Suggestions' started by Flatoftheblade, Apr 17, 2015.

1. In circumstances where Code Red is warranted, it is both rather difficult, and a waste of time better spent elsewhere, to try to coordinate two heads swiping at the same time. Consequently, you almost never see it being officially declared even during revolutions, confirmed nuke ops, etc.

Also, since an official declaration isn't even a requirement to use "code red situation" as a justification for use of force purposes, the only practical benefit of the declaration is to give grey tiders a heads up that their actions will have consequences in light of the circumstances on the station. There is no reason to overcomplicate the process to make the declaration.

This isn't realistically abusable when the Captain and HoS already have access to the armory, etc.
  2. Mabblies

Mabblies Well-Known Member

Would the other heads still have the ability to jointly call Code Red?
  3. Under my suggestion, yes. I wouldn't change anything as far as the other heads are concerned.
    Keone2 and Mabblies like this.
  4. Mabblies

Good.

I would love for this suggestion to be added.
    JPR likes this.
  5. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

I agree because my god i am tired of assitants being jackasses while nuke ops are on board
    Mabblies likes this.
  6. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

How do you address the idea that a head may abuse this to be able to early call a shuttle when it's unnecessary or extremely unpopular?

It wouldn't give the crew a large amount of time to react to be able to recall. It basically allows a single player to more easily dictate the length of a round.
  7. Mabblies

Well, I feel like we have rules and admins for a reason... Captain and HoS are already the two jobs with the most responsibility anyways.
  8. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

I'm pretty sure both of those jobs can actually already do that just by making a second head ID card. I say this because I've seen Flavo do it at least once.

Edit: I'm asking flavo to confirm the specifics, but I have seen it done.
  9. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Can't quote, chrome not installed on this.

Raptor, it's impossible to code red even if you have two ID's I believe, you need to use two ID's on two different authorizations, I guess TECHNICALLY you MIGHT be able to run between the bridge's auth, and the captain's office's auth, however you'd need to dismantle a table to be able to get by in time.

It'd be SO much easier if you could just do it with one ID
    QuantumWings likes this.
  10. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Handteleporter magic. Using the same ID teleport from captains office to bridge to solo declare.
    JPR likes this.
  11. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Again, can't quote, but that's ridiculous.

Just add a new access to the captain and HoS I.D. and if the card has that access it can solo code red.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  12. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

That explains it, at the time I just laughed but i was curious how you did it :p In any case, I'm fine with the idea.
  13. PistolPete

Yeah, but I still don't see a good necessity other than "It's easier."

Space Law use of force already covers using force in deadly situations.

The side effect of code red is 6 minute shuttle arrivals.
  14. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

It gets griffons to understand that a code red is in effect and not to slip officers who are trying to protect them from people with SMG's trying to incinerate them?
    JPR likes this.
  15. PistolPete

You're still going to have that no matter what. That only applies to a handful of situations.

What justification do you have to give a single player the ability for a 6 minute shuttle? That's what it boils down to.
  16. Mindtrixx

Mindtrixx Well-Known Member

Not at all, they are asking for a RP way of declaring a secure state station wide. The 6minute shuttle timer is completely secondary.

Simple solution: Separate code Red and the shorter shuttle timer. Code Red will be added to the console and the ID swipe will become some sort of "GET THE SHUTTLE HERE NOW CENTCOMM" alert.

v0v?
    JPR likes this.
  17. PistolPete

That's an acceptable solution, in my eyes.

I'd go with a code yellow - which is current code red, and code red which is prep for station evac.
  18. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Deal!
    JPR likes this.