[Accepted] Tharinoma's Admin Application

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by Tharinoma, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

Byond Account:
    Tharinoma
    Character Name(s):
    Alearion Flint, Brick Wall, Rubye Reketon, Easy Flint
    AI Name(s):
    GOLEM, FRIEND.V4
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why:
    No.
    Timezone:
    Europe
    Active hours:
    Depends. I'm usually on for at least an hour between 16PM and midnight.

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules?
    Yes
    How long have you played SS13?
    Account created around : Oct 31 2011.
    How long have you played LS13?
    Same as above.
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics?
    I used to know about everything, but then we had some source changes and updates. The only jobs I'm not comfortable with are telescience and atmos, but I know the basics.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13?
    Nope
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else?
    Nope
    If yes, what did you have to do do?
    Nope
    Have you ever worked in a team before?
    Of course. Who hasn't? You don't accomplish anything alone.
    What are the qualities of a successful team?
    From my personal experience, I would say the most important is a competent leadership. A good team leader can get the job done even if the group members are unwilling or incompetent. Giving the right task to the right person, avoiding conflict and centralizing the results around someone trusted to be competent and motivated. Another important requirement is keeping everyone on the same track, make sure everyone has the same objectives, and gets there with right means, with the right tools.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?:
    The only game in which death is permanent (besides cloning blablabla) and RP. It is the most realistic life simulation I found, the one that makes me actually scared for my life.
    Why do you play LS13?:
    I started with LLA and never had a reason to leave. I like the rules and the community.
    What do administrators do?:
    Enforce the rules, help players and represent the server. Inform players when they break rules and punish them if they don't stop. Answer questions about anything, and be active in the server's community : provide input on appeals, applications and sugestions. They also fix what needs to be fixed and break what needs to be broken, they are the ones with access to the fun buttons.
    Why do you want to be an administrator?:
    Multiple reasons. Have access to secret chats. Have access to fun buttons. Gib myself and laugh. Have a fancy OOC color. Take control of Ian and scare the hell out of the HoP. Panic when I get flooded with ahelps. The one that made me write this application is I want to be able to reduce the amount of grief.
    What qualities make a good administrator?:
    I suppose you need to be able to understand the players, and get them to understand you, communication.
    Teamwork. A good understanding of the server rules and politics. And buttons, knowing how to use logs or revive someone.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?:
    Lacking the above qualities, obviously. Then arrogance, lack of empathy or being narrow minded.
    What are your strengths?
    Quick learner, alot of LS13 experience, good knowledge of our rules, logical thinking, and I don't take the internet
    personally.
    What are your weaknesses?
    People tend to not like me. I'm not very good at writing in English. I probably won't have as much time as one would expect to administrate the server. I can't promise I'll be on for long times, but I should be able to get on at least once a day, even if only for a few minutes. I'm not usually on when the server population is high. I usually dismiss the opinion or point of view of those that appear to me as completely stupid or incompetent.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses?
    I learned to work with the worst when I was applying for perseus. I take English classes. I try to remind myself that internet only shows an insignificant part of who people really are and that our server wouldn't be the same without all our players.
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:
    We might be in a relatively closed community around a not very widely known game, this is still the internet. If these mattered to me, I wouldn't be here. I will totally ignore them, perhaps after I calmly exposed my point of view.

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?
    PM player A telling him I will look into it. Check if player B is antag, if he isn't, PM player B asking him why he beat player A. I will then start the detective work, I will ask both players to tell me what happened and find out if player B's actions were legit (self defence, being harassed, confirmed antag...). If I believe the actions were legit, thank player B for his time and explain to player A why player B was allowed to do that and how he can avoid similar situations in the future. If they weren't legit, depending on player B's history and apparent intent, punish, warn, or simply inform him how he broke server rules. Make sure both players know what's going on and what happened.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this?
    Make a forum post about my idea, in which I clearly expose why my idea is a good one and why all the arguments against it that I heard or I can imagine are bad ones.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server?
    It means you are trustworthy, competent, willing to help, reponsible.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why?
    Both are important, you cannot have one without the other. You cannot manage a community without rules, and a community without principles is meaningless. However, rules should be the one that adapt to the principles.
  2. Felix Feufer

Felix Feufer LS13 Admin

Quoted for posterity.
    Mindtrixx likes this.
  3. TheJuicyFruit

TheJuicyFruit Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the being harassed part. Could you say in a little more detail what kind of "harassment" justifies being beaten into crit?
  4. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

Any kind of harassment justifies a small beating, in our SS13. To justify someone being put in critical, the harassment would need to be pretty... bad. I put that there when thinking about abusive captains or security, bad enough to be confirmed antagonists. I had no precise examples when I wrote that, I just think there can be more legit reasons to put someone in critical besides killing an obvious antag or simple self defence.

I answered some questions with less than three sentences, yes, but they contain all the information I wanted them to. I didn't want to reword them or add things just to meet that requirement. I can re-answer them if you'd like.
  5. You've proved yourself to be logical and able to articulate your actions extremely well when challenged. You are able to process complex situations and make sensible judgements consistently, without even having to try too hard. I have far more faith in your ability to assess a case and come to a reasonable conclusion than I do for a number of existing admins.
  6. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

+Support

Tharinoma has good judgment and a nice personality. I've never had a problem with him. He would be a good candidate for adminship.
  7. Rekiin

Rekiin Active Member

This is the only thing concerning me, you've never had any other admin positions in the past, but i'm going to stay neutral for the time being.
  8. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

Everybody starts with none.
  9. Jariahtoadsage

Jariahtoadsage LS13 Admin

Ehhhhhh I also started with zero admin experience in the past. When it comes to things like this, the experience is a plus, as well as a way we can go look into how you perform as an administrator (If we feel you're controversial enough to warrant it). Its the same deal with job postings that say "AT LEAST TWO YEARS REQUIRED EXPERIENCE" Its really more of a suggestion, If all they ever hired were people with 2+ years of experience in the fiel, the buisness wouldnt exsist because noone would ever GET the experience.

As for Tharinoma, Ive interacted with you in pretty much ever facet of this game i exsist in. Be it adminning, OOC, Crew, Antag, Head roles, Perc, or Events. You consistentlyshow a levelheadedness to all but a few things which seem to get you fairly riled up. However, none of us are perfect, and i doubt you'd let you being riled up cause you to make poor decisions as an admin. Now granted, i dont know you THAT well, but i just hope being an admin isnt too boring or monotonous for you, because there are times when it gets pretty boring waving your new shiny hammer around.

In any case +1 Jar of Trial Support
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  10. Personally I think that prior experience is almost a completely irrelevant variable and the character and qualities of the applicant are a thousand times more important. I'd much rather support a sensible person with no admin experience than an idiot who has been a headmin on twelve different servers. Any reasonably capable person should be able to learn how to admin, and I'm confident that tharinoma is capable.
    JPR, AncientV25, QuantumWings and 2 others like this.
  11. Jariahtoadsage

Jariahtoadsage LS13 Admin

^ This ^
  12. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

Having no experience usually means it's easier for someone to teach you the way they want you to be.
    Flatoftheblade likes this.
  13. Rekiin

Rekiin Active Member

You know what, Support because of this

Only on a for a few minutes sometimes, even when the server population is LOW we need more admins that come on during low periods, the only ones I have seen on 3 - 6 population are Flavo, Jariah, or Sting (Sometimes Ancient or Narwhal), but even then they RARELY get on in low population rounds.
  14. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

Well, thank you. I am completely utterly surprised by this. This was probably the last thing I was expecting on my application.
    Support because of my weaknesses.
    ;)
    Thanks again.
  15. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

Would you say all your answers you put are serious?
  16. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

The answer to the "Why do you want to be an administrator?:" contained a bit of humor at the beginning, but is a serious answer nonetheless. The possibly fun parts of being an admin attract me, although the reason I'm bothering to make an application and try to get trialled is to help with the grief.
    The answer to Rekiin's last post also contained some humor, and is also serious, I really wasn't expecting anyone to give me support for my weaknesses.
    JPR and Flatoftheblade like this.
  17. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

I haven't personally come to a decision on this yet, but I'd like to see some more feedback on this if anyone else has anything they would like to say!
  18. Saint Vicious

Saint Vicious LS13 Admin

I'd be happy to see Tharinoma rigged up with some training wheels. He's demonstrated consistent responsible and professional behavior, both in and out of the game, while remaining active. He's a pleasure to work with in other community channels, no issues here for me.
  19. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

If accepted, i only ask that you take more caution on who has access to your skype account. As someone who's computer/skype can be accessed by another LS13 player access and viewing to the admin chats should strictly be by you. I bring this up here because 1) The person on your account currently isnt you and 2) because the person on your account was speaking in one of the private leadership chats and i thought i was responding to tharinoma. If this wasn't a LS13 player it wouldn't be a major issue but since it is you should really put more locks on your skype account at the very least.
  20. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

I take full responsability for what happens on SS13 or skype with my account. Whatever my account says or does, I did.
    Flavo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.