[Accepted] LeJack's Admin Application

Discussion in 'Admin Applications' started by LeJack, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeJack

LeJack Active Member

Basic Information:

Byond Account: LeJack
    Character Name(s): Jack Entrarie/LeHonker
    AI Name(s): I have not played AI, though I often play cyborg as Unit-337
    Have you ever used a different BYOND key on our server? If so what was it and why: This is my only Byond key
    Timezone: EST
    Active hours: anywhere from 2pm - 5am

Experience:

Are you familiar with LS13's rules? I am.
    How long have you played SS13? approximately 2 years.
    How long have you played LS13? around 9 months I believe.
    How much do you know about SS13 (/tg/ build) game mechanics? Quite a lot, though I am still surprised by things I did not know almost daily.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13? I do not.
    Do you have any experience as an administrator on anything else? Yes, most notably and recently would have been our DayZ server.
    If yes, what did you have to do do? Do to the "no holds barred" nature of DayZ, there was very little admin interaction with characters. Primarily my job was to look for, and ban, cheaters.
    Have you ever worked in a team before? Extensively.
    What are the qualities of a successful team? Communication, motivation and trust. Specifically on communication and trust: Understanding that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and coordinating in such a way that everyone can use their strengths to benefit the whole. Also, trusting your counterparts to do their jobs properly, so that you, in turn, may do yours properly.

Personality:

Why do you play SS13?: I play SS13 for the complexity, endless possibilities.
    Why do you play LS13?: LS13's guidelines best fit my views on when player interactions should and should not be limited. Your hands aren't tied behind your back, yet people who make a point of ruining the fun for others are dealt with.
    What do administrators do?: Administrators do their best to ensure the game is both fair and enjoyable for all members.
    Why do you want to be an administrator?: LS13 has provided me with a invaluable yet free service, and I would like to repay that debt in kind. Also, I've found that admins are often not available during times (early morning) that I am available, do to my flexible schedule.
    What qualities make a good administrator?: Objectivity, consistency and professionalism.
    What qualities make a bad administrator?: Being rude, I think, sums up everything short ethical conflicts and incompetence.
    What are your strengths? My temperament I believe. It's next to impossible to get me angry, and I don't play favorites.
    What are your weaknesses? Being in a position where a decision needs to be made, if I am unsure of what course to take, I will often hesitate, out of fear of making a mistake, which can be a problem in time sensitive situations. Also, my colorblindness can slow me down while sifting through ss13's color coded text.
    How do you overcome these weaknesses? When applicable, I look to others for input. As far as my optical limitations, I find ways around them, I always have.
    How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I'm a brick wall.

Open Response:

Please answer each question with at least three sentences.

You're administrating on the server when you get an ahelp that Player A has been griefed by Player B. You open the attack logs and see that player B has hit player A many times with an oxygen tank putting them into critical. What do you do from here? Why did you choose to take that course of action?
    First I would ensure player A is not dead or dieing, and let him know the situation is being looked into. Second, assuming player B does not have a established history of this kind of behavior, I explain to them that this is not acceptable player interaction/conflict resolution on LS13, and that he will be monitored for similar behavior. If player B did in fact have a history of this behavior, or if it continued after the initial incident, it would be reasonable to remove him from the round. As to why, player A just wants to play the game, player B's idea of fun is to spoil someone else's.

You're in a debate with a fellow administrator in the admin chat. You're pushing for an idea that you feel passionate about, but they keep shooting your idea down at every turn and the disappointment/anger is rising. How do you handle this? People aren't always going to see eye to eye. If it was something I felt strongly enough about, I would try understand the reasons for their reservations and come to a compromise. Barring that, time changes everything, sometimes it's best to be patient, and approach it again, when the climate is more favorable.

What does it mean to be an administrator for our server? Being an administrator for LS13 means you've been entrusted to represent the community and its will. In a sense, you are a public servant.

Which is more important for a community: rules or principles? Why? Principles. Rules can be bent and side stepped. Also, making black and white rules for every little interaction is not only a slippery slope, it's a losing battle. Principles are inescapable.
  2. PistolPete

PistolPete ForumGuard Staff Member

I hate to have Perseus become admins (the golden ratio must be preserved!), but LeJack has my full support.

LeJack's temperament and abilities make him well-suited to becoming an admin.
    LeJack likes this.
  3. Tharinoma

Tharinoma LS13 Admin

edit :
    "How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I'm a brick wall."
    Impostor!
    LeJack likes this.
  4. LeJack

LeJack Active Member

Thanks pete
  5. Pumpkin Man

Pumpkin Man LS13 Admin Staff Member

+1 from me. I think LeJack deserves a shot at trial.
    LeJack likes this.
  6. Agent1667

Agent1667 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Jack as an administrator. He has the temperament and is liked by the community. Perfect candidate for a trial.

+1
    LeJack likes this.
  7. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

You've been pretty chill and good-natured every time we've spoken, why not.

+1
    LeJack likes this.
  8. LeJack

LeJack Active Member

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but thank you, everyone, for the support. If anyone has any questions or concerns, I would be glad to address them.
    Agent1667 likes this.
  9. Eighty8

Eighty8 Well-Known Member

In game or out I haven't had any issues with Lejack and has been a very competent player for as long as I can remember, one of those whom I can trust in a position of responsibility. I think he should be trialed.

Also,
    To be honest this doesn't really answer the question, or maybe it does and I am looking at it the wrong way.

In any case your responses were short and to the point, I liked them.

+1
    LeJack likes this.
  10. Cyliz

Cyliz LS13 Admin

I like LeJack. He sticks out in-game as a trust-able player, and like everyone else has said, he seems like he handles himself well in authoritative positions. I'm cool with him making it to trial.

+1
    LeJack likes this.
  11. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.