Archived 4th Dimensional Printer

Discussion in 'Code Suggestions' started by CYBORZ, Apr 22, 2015.

?

Do you want this?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
  1. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

(Updated as of the 22nd of April, 2015)

Probably 99.99% of all of you heard about the 3D printer in today's society. I came up with the idea of the 4th dimensional printer because, why not. Technically its suppose to act like a vending machine but, used to make the items which are complicated to craft, or not craft able in the first place. The only machine (which I suppose is fair) will be placed in the bridge for command to use primarily.

How it works:
    It'll require a high level ID to access the control prompt - any command level. Once the menu is opened, you have the chance to build something from the stations RnD network. This has a possibility of acting as the public version of the protholate for command.
    Some of you can argue this idea/machine is OP - take it the way as you will, but it comes with its nerfs. Like stated earlier, when your ID is swiped to unlock/spend your point on an item, it encourages more people to play command roles.

Syndicate:
    The machine will unlock new items in its prompt when you insert an emmag into it. This will help the traitor get one of those really hard objectives possibly, but this could change prior to suggestions.

Feedback will be appreciated for it might improve the idea, or even get it approved. I might make a quick sketch of it sometime soon as a visual, but imagine a sandwhich for now, but with metal as bread, and a singularity for the meat.
  2. With respect, I don't understand the need for this. If it requires a high access level, the user could just obtain the items through other means (if they didn't outright start with said item on their person or in their office/locker). I've never played captain or HoS and thought "I don't have access to enough equipment." If it creates items that normally require research, it would just make the already marginal process of R&D even less worthwhile.

Ditto with emagging it as a Syndicate. Getting to the printer and emagging it doesn't sound any less difficult than obtaining a high risk item through conventional means.
    JPR, QuantumWings and CYBORZ like this.
  3. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Touche, but I felt like its a public variation of RnD's system. To elaborate on the high level ID, I meant any head - CMO, CE, RD and HoS don't have access to the capts office, or the teleporter (I think?). I thought it'd a be a cool idea to encourage people to play as heads knowing they might get a reward that isn't directly associated with their job.
  4. Can it only be used once at all, or once per user?

I would be concerned that the former would lead to a free-for-all with all the heads battling each other to use it, and the latter would lead to constant heavily armed powergaming heads who have no real reason to have guns. Sorry, I appreciate throwing suggestions out there for discussion, but I'm not digging this.
    JPR and QuantumWings like this.
  5. Raptorblaze

Raptorblaze Head Coder Staff Member

Make it effectively a limited protolathe (maybe have it sort items based on which head ID accesses it?) and require materials, then remove the 1 time per ID use. Then it would be more viable.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  6. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

If someone stole it, it won't make a large difference as people do the same thing to get into the armoury. This is more or less a compensation system for command. Take for example mining, they have a machine where they can get cool stuff as well, but requires mining points. In this case, the ID keeps track of time the person has been active, and on the station for to redeem into a cool item. All of this can still be refined, and could turn into the same concept of the mining system (in a way). I was thinking of making it into a protolathe sorta as Raptorblaze stated.
  7. Flavo

Flavo Well-Known Member

What if we put this machine in cargo, make the options like "Kitchen knife" "Beaker" "Handcuffs" "Flamethrower" (If you hack it) and have the cost be metal and glass?
    Mabblies, JPR and QuantumWings like this.
  8. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Ha, no need to be a troll. Regardless, I'm thinking of making it into an extended version of RnD's research system for all of command to use.
  9. TheDracheX

TheDracheX LS13 Coder Staff Member

So does this require any research?
  10. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

Its technically the same thing as the science network and RnD division. To answer your question, its just an accessible extension to all of the heads of staff to print computer parts, and other items science has synced/done on their network.
  11. TheDracheX

So it's literally a protolathe?
  12. CYBORZ

CYBORZ LS13 Iconner

If you want to view it like that, sure. The thing is though, it transfers materials from other area's so you don't have to manually supply it - hence the 4th dimensional portion.
  13. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

Already not enough metal and glass on board. and creates a machine that is basically giving you a free item so what is the point. However a 4d printer that could make things like mobs or a whole new set of cool items for RD would be cool.

For instance, Energy glob. Refills any SME once.

Or you know other cool interesting little trinkets from RnD that don't require that one job that doe'snt actually exist. So researching things actually has a point.

Or like IDK right now but if we thought of items RD could produce that are other worldly that would be cool.

OOh I know dimensional rift for traitors. Causes everyone on the station to randomly switch bodies. THAT WOULD BE FUN!!!
  14. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

No. Autolathe, we already have. Protolathe, we already have, and if you're trying to give command "FREE" advanced eguns and xray lasers... I hate you, speaking as a R&D member. Seriously, if you want the stuff, and we can make it, we'll GLADLY hand it out, it just is very few people go mining, and the non-mining stuff is limited in it's destructiveness.
    Besides, Cap, Hop, RD, and HoS can ALREADY access(get to) the protolathe...

Now something like the com console to give command access to LIMITED stuff that's usually Centcom's prerogative (admin shenanigans), that might be neat. No bluespace arty or harmful things, but the possibility of powering all SMES's... that'd be interesting.
    QuantumWings likes this.
  15. TheDracheX

Now thats OP as hell and should be kept reserved for admins.
    CYBORZ likes this.
  16. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

What if it was linked to server pop, negatively? Only let it be a thing if there are less than 5 people?
  17. TheDracheX

Nuuu
    CYBORZ likes this.
  18. JPR

JPR Well-Known Member

:( whyyyy
  19. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

Can we go with weird other worldly items that don't require mining? Nothing to powerful but certainly funky things.